Singapore
NUS Students' Sports Club
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 24m 30s
Overall Rank = 208/265
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am to eat and prepare for the NUS Triathlon at 7am. This must be the earliest event that I have ever participated. For breakfast, I had a cup of yogurt, 3 egg whites and a cup of MILO. By the time we got to East Coast Park, it was already 6:30am. I thought it was kinda too rush. Before I finished setting up my stuff at the transition area, I was feeling the need to visit the toilet thus rushed to the toilet but there was a long queue. By the time I managed to get back to the transition again, it was already 6:45am. Realised that my socks was missing. Rushed back to the car to check and I felt relieved that the sock was in the car. Rushed back to transition to set up the rest and rushed to the beach 5mins before the swim starts. Halfway to the beach, I realised that my goggle was missing. Rushed back to transition and I couldn't locate my goggles. Back track on the path that I took to the beach and luckily I found my goggle on the grass. When I reached the beach, we were told that there will be a delay of 15 mins. The delay was more than 15mins. The swim actually starts at 7:30am.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit but felt that the sea bed was soft and muddy thus decided to get out of the water.
Swim
  • 37m 7s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the first wave of the Long Distance category. The swim leg was flagged off by Teo Ser Luck. As I run into the water, I could feel the soft soil of the beach. It was a long stretch before I could feel some depth and start swimming. But swimming was difficult as I couldn't see anything except muddy water. I was hyperventilating and I wonder at that moment how I could possibly finished 3 lap of the swim. I did breast stroke throughout the length from the beach to the 2nd bouy. After that, I managed to do bit of front crawl but I was still not able to maintain my calm in the water. I was drinking a lot of sea water by then. On my 2nd lap of the swim, there were more swimmers in the water as 2 other waves has already been dispatched. I felt most relaxed on my 3rd wave. Miraculously, I managed to finished the 3 laps. While swimming, some thought came to mind about the Ironman race that I have signed up to take part in Langkawi. Would I be able to finished the 3.8km swim on the open seas with ease? Or would I be gasping in the water? At some point in the swim, I even thought of the possibility of giving up the race. But once I have calmed down, I was determined that I will aim to just complete the race.
What would you do differently?:

I should do more open water swim. Even with lots of experience on open water, I am still bad when it comes to waves. It seems common for me to have panic attack when I am in the open water. Wished that I could overcome this soon before my next race in Desaru.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

When I run back to the transition, I found my helmet on the grass and my Oakley sunglasses were missing. Later, I found it on the grass and the handle was detached from the frame. Frantically try to attached the handle to the frame and put on my cycling gears. I think I took quite a long time to get out of the transition.
Bike
  • 2h 21m 25s
  • 60 kms
  • 25.46 km/hr
Comments:

The cycle leg starts with the bicycle track along East Coast Park. Just as I start cycling, I realised that I did not put on my race bib. Stop immediately, put on the race bib and continue cycling. There were just too many humps and some of these humps could actually cause one to fly on the bike. While cycling along the stretched near MacDonald, some of them simply cross the road without even looking left and right. I think these people are either blind or simply don't value their life. For the first time, the Cycle route was on Nicoll Highway and Republic Avenue. It was simply amazing. But when we reached the stretch along Mountbatten Road and Fort Road, we had to stop for the traffic. To make matter worst, some route was just a single road lane for 2 directional traffic of cyclist. Imagine the convergence of 2 different flow of bikers just after a traffic light. Everything went on smoothly despite my back ache on the 3rd and 4th lap around the city until just before my final turn into East Coast at the junction of Fort Road. Just after the traffic light I was heading up to East Coast but the policeman stand right in the middle of the road. It was too close for me to divert my direction and end up heading right into him. He was not hurt but I fell off from my bike. I picked up my bike and checked that it was ok before I continue to cycle back to the transition. I had a bit of an abrasion on my hand and legs but it was bearable.
What would you do differently?:

Cycle more. Need to get used to the distance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

When I reached the transition, I took quite a bit of time before I get out to start my run leg. I was a bit frustrated with the fall and my foot and body was aching from the impact of the fall.
Run
  • 1h 25m 58s
  • 15 kms
  • 05m 44s  min/km
Comments:

As I was running, I was looking out for the bib numbers of the other participants. I noticed that among the people running in the opposite direction are mostly people from the other waves. I realised that a lot of people over take me during the swim and cycle leg. By the time I finished my 1st leg, there were lesser people spotted on the run leg. It was quite demoralising but I try not to think about it. Saw my Poly swim mate, Eu Jin who was finishing his run when I just started my 2nd leg. A short while later, I saw Steven on his way to the finishing line too. Throughout the run, I just try to aim to complete the run. My right foot was painful as I run. Not to mention the pain from the crash on my left knees and arms. It was such a big relieved when I finally cross the finishing line.
Post race
Warm down:

Did not do any warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough experience on swimming in the open sea and not enough mileage for cycling. Fall from the bike.

Event comments:

Having completed this race, I have my misgivings about doing another race at East Coast. In actual fact, I have signed up for New Balance Aquathlon and it would be in East Coast. The thought of going through the ordeal again is definitely not something that I look forward to. Wished that I have not signed up for it. Whole body felt sore from the race. The abrasion I got from the crash is still annoyingly painful. Wished that it heal fast enough for my preparation for the Army Half Marathon and Desaru race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:07 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 198/265
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca TriSuit
Course: 3 lap of a Triangle shape course. Swim anticlockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:21:25 | 60 kms | 25.46 km/hr
Overall: 240/265
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Cycle from F1 carpark to Fort Road via the Cycle path on East Coast Park, 4 loop of cycling into the City (Fort Road, Mountbatten Rd, Nicoll Highway, Republic Avenue and back). Cycle from Fort Road via service Road and cut into Cycling Path to F2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:25:58 | 15 kms | 05m 44s  min/km
Overall: 152/265
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps of run from F1 to NSRC Golf Course (start of Lonely Road) and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2006-08-15 6:32 AM

User image

Regular
Singapore
Subject: NUS Triathlon

2006-08-15 8:19 AM
in reply to: #511821

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: RE: NUS Triathlon
Congrats on completing the first city triathlon in singapore......Once you get used to the initial adrenaline rush of open water swimming in a group after the first or second buoy things will calm down and you'll get into the rhytm of swimming.....Happy triing....
2006-08-16 7:05 PM
in reply to: #511901

User image

Regular
Singapore
steven - 2006-08-15 10:19 PM

Congrats on completing the first city triathlon in singapore......Once you get used to the initial adrenaline rush of open water swimming in a group after the first or second buoy things will calm down and you'll get into the rhytm of swimming.....Happy triing....

Thanks. Yup. I hope to do better in the next race. Will try to calm my nerve first.
2006-08-17 3:56 PM
in reply to: #511821

User image

That kinda thing happens to me pre-race all the time. I never know where any of my stuff is. Best of luck in your upcoming events.
2006-08-19 8:36 AM
in reply to: #515065

User image

Regular
Singapore
Thanks. Hope that I would be more organise in my next tri event.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NUS Triathlon Rss Feed