General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge New Albany Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Challenge New Albany Half Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Albany, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 24m 16s
Overall Rank = 113/270
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Event warmup:

Not much, got T1 ready to go, put the wetsuit on and hung out with feet in the water until the start.
Swim
  • 43m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yup ... nice and slow on the swim. I definitely should have been more training time in the pool on this one. This was actually faster than I thought I'd swim, so I'll take it. With about 200m to go, I got sick in my mouth slightly, which isn't something that usually happens. But that would turn out to be the theme of the day ...
What would you do differently?:

Actually do any kind of swim training, would probably be better than nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

T1 spot was really close to bike out, which is always good for me.

Spent a lot of time fighting with my wetsuit, trying to fit it into the tiny bag
Bike
  • 2h 43m
  • 56 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Shortly into the ride, maybe a mile or so in, I got sick again in my mouth just like on the swim. I figured I was having some GI issues and backed off my pace a little hoping to steady myself early on. And then I got sick again, somewhere around mile 4, then again at 7, 9, 13, 14, ... and so all throughout the course -- there were more miles that I did get sick than did not. More than a few times, I couldn't hold it in and out came a bunch of liquid (sorry so graphic). My legs felt fine, especially since I had backed down from my planned pace and was mostly spinning along. I tried eating solids, liquids, gels ... nothing seemed to help. Since I kept getting sick, I knew dehydration would be a real concern so I kept taking in gatorade and water on schedule. At the aid stations I would grab gatorade and water, fill up my aero bottle with gatorade and keep the water in my cage. The system seemed to work as I was still continuing on at a good pace without suffering.

The highlight would have to be my climbing. The hills weren't huge by any stretch, but I loved crushing everybody both up and down hill. One guy even looked over while we were climbing and asked me what my secret was :)

The low light, besides getting sick the whole time, was the 5 mile-ish stretch back to New Albany right into the wind (miles 45-50, roughly). It felt much longer than it actually was, but my average speed through that section dropped from 22.3mph down to 20.1. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Honestly, I probably should have bagged the event after the first few times getting sick. What ever GI issues I was battling caused me to not be able to eat much of anything -- I had 1 powergel, a few bits from a wafer thing, and 2 -16oz bottles of liquid.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Under a minute, good stuff.

I paused to stuff a bunch of nutrition in my back. I knew I would need it after blanking on the bike.
Run
  • 1h 53m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a horrible run for me. My second slowest HM in a race, the first time I've ever stopped to walk (and there ended up being a lot of walking), and just an unpleasant experience given the circumstances. Right out of T2 I was in trouble, cramping everywhere from my hip flexors to my back, both sides, and even my hands. I saw my family as I left transition so I pushed on a little bit so they wouldn't think anything was wrong. Not quite a mile in, I got sick again, freaked out a group of spectators that I was passing at the time. I stopped to walk at the mile marker, took about a minute to try to settle myself down before picking back up. I decided to go nice and easy (usually means ~8min/mile) until I was settled and then go back to work. That never happened. I ended up getting sick 3 more times between miles 2 and 4, had cramps and stitches throughout and was walking more and more frequently.

I stopped at the aid station around mile 4, drank some gatorade and water, ate a shot bloks pack and my honey waffle (which did the trick last year for settling my stomach). No luck this year. About 200m into my latest attempt to jog and I was back to cramping in my hip flexors. I kept pushing where I could, walking when I needed to, getting sick 1 more time on the first loop just before the turn around.

Just past mile 7 I stopped and asked a spectator if they could help me open a pack of cliff shot bloks because my hands were cramping so badly that I couldn't grip the packing. Ate those on the move, got sick a few minutes later. Not good. Walked a bit more the second loop, got sick a few more times. Continued to take in fluids at every aid station to try to stay hydrated as best I could.

At mile marker 11 I mustered up some runner's ( or fool's) pride and told myself that there would be no more walking ... starting right after the walk break that I just started. A minute later, I was back on the move and refused to yield to anything but the finish line. I was able to get into a rhythm, pass a few people and round to the finish. Passing one more person as I round the final corner, and that's the race.

Very disappointed in the run, but impressed that I was able to have a huge melt down and still post a top 50 time. More run training ahead...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my family, found a spot in the grass to eat and stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting sick repeatedly definitely made this race a nightmare. Thankfully that stopped soon after I finished and I have been able to eat/drink normally.

Event comments:

Fun race and venue. The bike course was iffy, and the post race activities seemed a little adhoc, but still good stuff.

Last updated: 2014-03-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 160/270
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: loop course at the beach front
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:43:00 | 56 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 48/270
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:53:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 43/270
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops around golf course and neighborhood.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-27 5:47 PM

Subject: Challenge New Albany Half Triathlon

2014-07-29 3:00 PM
in reply to: #5031126

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Challenge New Albany Half Triathlon

Wow, that's a rough day!

I wonder if there wasn't something in the water there.  I did the OLY and I, too, threw up a little during the swim. 

While I didn't throw up the rest of the day, I did feel pretty much "off" and was physically a wreck on the run.... it was pretty humid, though, so I'm sure that was part of it.

Solid work persevering through some really tough conditions on a very legit course... this wasn't the soft Giant Eagle course of last year, for sure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge New Albany Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TREK Albany Half Triathlon

Started by Matthews
Views: 1651 Posts: 6

2013-01-21 7:53 AM markhodges1973

Albany Sprint Triathlon

Started by brentc
Views: 1142 Posts: 1

2008-04-23 7:48 PM brentc

Albany Sprint Triathlon

Started by Patrick524
Views: 1063 Posts: 2

2008-04-23 12:34 AM jchughes66

Albany Sprint Triathlon

Started by jchughes66
Views: 1060 Posts: 2

2008-04-22 3:44 PM jonathan22

Albany Sprint Triathlon

Started by Jeff Hardisty
Views: 1427 Posts: 1

2006-07-13 9:18 AM Jeff Hardisty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.