General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM Distance race done! Did I hit "The Wall"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: First IM Distance race done! Did I hit "The Wall"?

Did my first IM race last Saturday, Vineman in Sonoma.  It is a very well run race on a challenging course in a beautiful location.  Much to my surprise I ended up with a podium spot, 3rd in my AG (M55-59)!  It was an awesome day and I loved every minute.

The temp turned out to be much higher than in most years, passing the 90 degree mark before I got off the bike.  I'd been watching the weather so wasn't surprised, and backed off a bit on the ride to save a bit more for the run.  Kept in lower to mid HR z2 on the bike, nutrition and hydration were right to plan (232 oz of liquid between H20 and Infinit, overall calories consumed 2260) and felt strong when I got off the bike.  The run started much as expected, legs trying to go too fast taking a conscious effort to stay slow, and a bit of a struggle to keep HR in z2.  The course is 3 laps with a lot of rolling hills with a couple of significant ones.  Early on I accepted I'd be walking the hills if I wanted to keep HR in check, and that's how it worked out. I had a 12 oz carry bottle I kept filled with ice and water, consuming about half between stations and using the other half as cooling on my singlet/head.  Also dumped a up of ice down the front and one down the back of the singlet (had a race belt on that trapped it).  Nutritionally took in a gel every 3 miles and supplemented with banana or cookie or chips as I could tolerate.  Took saltstick capsule every 5-6 miles. 

HR was staying mid to high z2 until about mile 8.  I checked my Garmin then and saw it had dropped to a z1.6 even though my pace had slowed slightly as well.  For the rest of the race try as I might I just could not get it to go back into z2.  I tried gels with caffeine, switching to cola on alternate aid stations, etc.  I was torn between forcing a greater effort to push it up, but also fearing that if I did so, I could potentially jeopardize the whole race - and here's where the inexperience shows.  I've never "hit the wall" in any of my marathons, and was feeling like I'd just experienced it.  In retrospect, was it "the wall", or had my HR just settled and I should have just pushed harder? 

Did I mention it was hot?  I've never been in a race where I've seen pretty much everyone walking the hills and many the flats, but that was the case.  I came over one hill and felt like I was in a zombie movie.  I had at least 20 people shuffling up the hill, open-mouthed, glassy-eyed toward me, all breathing heavily.  There were two over on the side, bent over puking, at the bottom of the hill were the paramedics tending to a guy laying off the side of the road.  During my first lap at about the halfway point a guy on a bike comes up behind me and says, "just to let you know, there's a runner coming up."  I'm thinking, "Dude there are runners everywhere here, what's the big deal?"  Well as it turns out it was the race leader on his last lap.  It took him at least 5 minutes to catch up with me and he was running just slightly faster than my pace, and he was hurting badly.  He got about 25 yards ahead of me and stopped, bent over hands on knees and stayed that way until after I passed him.  He passed me again about 5 minutes later, made the turnaround and headed back.  I caught up with him about 4 miles later as he had pulled himself from the race with only 2 miles to go.  It was brutal out there.  But oddly, the last lap was the easiest.  I was able to run longer between walk breaks, even up some to the hills I'd had to walk in the previous laps and increased pace 45-60s/mile.  So, Wall or just too timid?

2014-07-28 2:10 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Subject: RE: First IM Distance race done! Did I hit "The Wall"?
I don't know if you hit the wall, but congratulations on your race.
2014-07-28 2:23 PM

User image

Sounds like you were just dealing with tough conditions and the natural fatigue of a long day.  I consider the wall more or less when your body simply starts to shut down.  Sort of like what the race leader was experiencing or others that you saw needing medical attention.

90% of IM athletes aren't trained nearly enough to run the entire marathon or go at a pace where they can do even mile splits throughout...no matter how slow they start out.  It sounds like you made good decisions on staying within yourself and doing what you could manage.  Congrats on your finish and the podium.

2014-07-28 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Congrats!

A bunch of my friends did it and sounded like difficult race conditions. Quite a few DNFs apparently.
2014-07-28 6:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

I'm not sure I'd say it was being timid or hitting the wall.

Can't get HR up is usually fatigue.

My thought is your pace was to high for the conditions of the day given your fitness.

Had you trained much in 90 degree days?  Are you at your ideal weight?

The higher temps make same effort more difficult and some of us heat effects us more than others. Being overweight even by a little makes effects of the heat greater.

Bringing home hardware in your first IM distance race rocks!

2014-07-28 11:19 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have done Vineman twice with temps around 96F. The course is moderately difficult, the temps make it harder. I did 12:15 and 11:40 at Vineman. I also did IMLT with very cold temps and the hills crushed me so that I had to walk much of the run. I also did IMCDA with a back and shoulder spasm that lasted nearly 2 weeks. If your health is fine and you are well trained, train in the heat and are ready for the race you can run the whole marathon even in 96 F temps. However, your body may or may not perform optimally on a given day during an IM and you may end up walking. It sounds like you took in enough calories on the bike and run. I don't know how well you did at keeping your body wet during the run to keep cool. Grats on your age placement. I can't say if your training wasn't enough, if you set too fast a pace or if your body just wasn't handling the heat on that day. Sometimes your body would have been fine 1 day earlier or 2 days latter, but you have the edge of some problem that puts you off for the race. It is usually smart to listen to your body, slow down and finish the IM rather than push through something to the point of ending up in the med tent. At least that is my feeling. The fast folks may feel differently.

2014-07-28 11:51 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Tom, I don't know if there is an official definition of "hitting the wall", but I would define it as the point where your rate of perceived exertion and your heart rate start drifting apart. Meaning, you feel like you are in Zone 4 but your heart rate can't get above Zone 1, for example. This hapenned to me in my first IM and it started to happen to me in the run this weekend at Vineman but I quickly identified it and controlled it by slowing my pace and by taking care of my nutrition. It seems you did the same thing and it paid off for you.

Congrats again on your awesome finish and placement and thanks for all the support/advice on the lead up to the race. Next goal: sub-13! Although I don't know if I will be tackling that any time soon :-)
2014-08-03 11:03 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Tom, I would say you just ROCKED it!
2014-08-04 3:42 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Congrats and a great report / inside on it. I'd say you managed the race and yourself pretty well considering the conditions you outline. Well done!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM Distance race done! Did I hit "The Wall"? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

first race done woohooo

Started by gmmoore
Views: 876 Posts: 13

2007-10-16 7:06 AM gmmoore

First Race Done!

Started by Princess_Megz
Views: 608 Posts: 13

2006-03-21 9:23 PM dare2trimom

First race...DONE!

Started by BillP
Views: 674 Posts: 8

2005-09-28 12:22 AM BillP

First Race Done - Race Report In

Started by Git-tRi-Done
Views: 1042 Posts: 6

2005-07-26 12:22 PM ryjammers

first trithlone done and in the race report

Started by oiprocs1975
Views: 721 Posts: 10

2004-09-20 11:07 PM TriBarbie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"