General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I did IM and so what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-07-30 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: I did IM and so what?
I did my first IM and it wasn't worth it. Too much time away from family. Too selfish. Anyone else agree?

2014-07-30 4:36 PM
in reply to: leftrunner

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: I did IM and so what?

personally, I did not feel that way. But hey, it's not for everyone!

2014-07-30 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Nope.

But I have no kids and my wife was very supportive every step of the way. Won't do another just to do it, will wait till I can set a good goal time and can meet it.

2014-07-30 4:40 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
My kids are in rare form today. I'm thinking maybe I need to train for something more like a ultra-super-duper ironman.
2014-07-30 4:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

No. I've done 3 IMs and am ready to sign up for a 4th. I was able to balance work, home (granted no kids), social and training. Had the time of my life!

2014-07-30 4:46 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by leftrunner I did my first IM and it wasn't worth it. Too much time away from family. Too selfish. Anyone else agree?

I blew my knee 3 weeks before I was going to do my first and I promise it would have been my last.  I felt exactly the same way. I love triathlon, but I don't give a rip about IM.

2014-07-30 4:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

That's an interesting perspective that you don't see too much. More often you'll see someone who says it was totally worth it, but won't do another for a while since it was a big time commitment away from the family.

Another thing to keep in mind that endurance fitness is not entirely selfish because of the health benefits. it's not like you were off in a bar somewhere for hours.

To be clear, I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings because they're yours and entirely valid. Just commenting because I find it interesting.

Edited by zed707 2014-07-30 4:49 PM
2014-07-30 4:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I felt the same way after my first Oly. Mostly because it was a sufferfest and I sucked.

Sorry, came back to edit, because I didn't clarify that my point is that the payoff did not warrant the effort I felt I had put into it. I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't do well.

Edited by Danno77 2014-07-30 4:52 PM
2014-07-30 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by leftrunner

I did my first IM and it wasn't worth it. Too much time away from family. Too selfish. Anyone else agree?

No

It's a matter of scheduling things in a way that minimizes time away.
2014-07-30 5:04 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Not at all.  I assessed all of that before going into it and pulling the trigger to race.  PLUS, if I felt that way while training?  I would have quit.  It's just a race.  It's only money.  They don't compare to family.

Are you saying you didn't realize the obligations required until AFTER the race and THEN it seemed too much of a sacrifice?

OR are you saying that after deciding to make all the sacrifices, the payout from finishing wasn't as great as you expected?  If that's the case, you might have been focusing too much on the finish line, rather than everything else you gain from it. 

Personally, the finish is just the bonus.  In some cases, I can barely remember the race, but I can vividly remember some of the long rides with friends and epic long runs.

2014-07-30 5:06 PM

I didn't do an IM but I've trained IM-type volume for a HIM, at one point 17-20hrs/week for a good 3 months straight. 

I also felt it wasn't worth it, so you're not alone. I was in the best shape of my life, had a great "A" race result, but in the end, it was a lot of added stress to my life to do all that training on top of full time job and family, and for nothing other than self-satisfaction. 

I'm now hovering at a sustainable volume from 9-12hrs per week, and training as well as life in general has become much more enjoyable! I'm not planning on doing an IM any time soon on that volume!

I will add however, that I love the training aspect. If it weren't for my job and family, I'd be happy to train 20+hrs per week regularly (I'd probably get too tired, to keep it up though, having done brief stints of it.) But life is life, and triathlon isn't a paying job for us AGers. I also think that if you're training with a regular team or squad, it makes the result more worth it, as there are more people to share your victory (or defeat). 

2014-07-30 5:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by leftrunner

Curious why you did it? You had to know the training time going in, no?
2014-07-30 5:26 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Its an inherently selfish pursuit which is why I raise money for charity with each IM I do.  Brings more meaning to it for me.  With no kids my perspective is going to vastly different tho.  Triathlon training keeps my head from exploding so yes I think its worth it

2014-07-30 5:53 PM
in reply to: Danno77

Veteran
Originally posted by Danno77

My kids are in rare form today. I'm thinking maybe I need to train for something more like a ultra-super-duper ironman.

lmao. use their college money for the entry fee
2014-07-30 5:53 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Veteran
The first coherent thing I said to my wife after my last (and first) IM is "I have got to do this again."

Honestly the training had some very low days where I questioned why I did this and if it was worth it but the second I crossed the finish line and earned the title of ironman it was all worth it. I will agree that it does require a lot of time and energy but my wife and I (no kids at this point) had a long conversation before I ever signed up and I would not have done it without her full blessing.
2014-07-30 5:56 PM
in reply to: #5032905

User image

Expert
I think I did it partly as momentum from sprint to OLY to HIM/Mary naturally to IM. I thought, at 43, doing an IM would make me feel unique and somehow stronger. It only made me feel selfish and alone. Watching my family standing with their umbrellas and cheering with signs after they put up with me taking off for hours on summer weekends and leaving for a few on weekday evenings made me feel guilty. It seemed like one big "look at me, I'm awesome" self love fest.

Total respect for those of you that race the distance and challenge for the podium or KQ, but for the vast majority of us it is just to finish and show we could. Hey I'm not knocking the AGers either. It just didn't give me the satisfaction I thought it would. I felt much better after a PB marathon with the reasonable training load and logistically less challenging race weekend. Anyway just my $0.02.

2014-07-30 6:29 PM

User image

I am SO EXCITED to complete my first full IM, but I can see your point. I think it will be 100% worth it for me since I have had this in my mind
for over 8 years. However, I do have three kids under the age of 12 and we own our own business so my husband works about 55 hours a
week and coaches 12U competitive, tournament softball 15-20 hours per week on top of that. I am TIRED. Not just from the training, but more from trying to juggle everything and keep everyone happy. I actually had a nightmare last night that my husband wanted a divorce because he was sick of my training. I woke up extremely MAD. He has been supportive, but there's always that underlying sarcasm about how it's taken over my life. And, he's probably right (okay, he is right). Love my family so going to do this once now and not again for at least 2 years (see how that works- never say never). Hope you find other goals that you can better spend your time on. I agree, not for everyone but sure hope it is for me! Great job on your IM!
2014-07-30 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
On the family part... it is, in the end, their choice to come or not. It's not exactly that simple, but there are ways to show support other than standing under an umbrella in the rain if they don't want to be there.

In the end, we're all somewhat selfish creatures, likely even their motivation to come support you isn't 100% altruistic.

That said, I felt no great revelation or life changing epiphany when I finished my 140.6. Actually all I really thought was "huh, this is the big deal?" and "Man I'm hungry." To each their own.
2014-07-30 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Haven't done an IM but have been having similar thoughts lately about training/competition in general. I did one HIM and haven't done another, mainly because of the time commitment, and imposition on family members of long workouts and travel to race during the short time I'm in the US. It seemed like a lot of extra time over and above sprint/Oly training, and isn't my best distance anyway owing to relative weakness as a cyclist. But I did enjoy the training and event and had a strong performance for my ability. Just not in a hurry to do it again, or try an IM.

Overall, though, I feel like the time and effort I've put into training over the last couple of years hasn't paid off in terms of improvement in any single event or races in general. I've debated for a couple of years about signing up for a course that lasts 1 1/2 years that would probably really help my career prospects but leave me little time to train beyond MAYBE basic maintenance (30-60 minutes a day max). Pretty close to biting the bullet. The only thing that keeps me from it is lack of interest in the course content for its own sake, and my love of training and racing. The course involves six classroom hours once a week and several hours of classwork/week on the computer (in addition to 50+ hour workweek)--absolute torture for someone as high-energy as I am. Tri training makes me happy and keeps me sane; I love to race even if my results are crappy. I managed to stay away from competitive training/racing for over 20 years, but now have become addicted again. Debating whether maybe I should invest in some coaching to see if someone else would have better insight in to making my training more productive, or force myself to go back to being a fun-runner.
2014-07-30 7:51 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I have done 2 IM's and I completely enjoyed the experience. I have a wife and three children and so it was a logistical nightmare to put in the training but that's where it becomes a family project. I work very hard at coordinating activities with my wife and teenage kids. 9 times out of 10 we find creative ways to fit in the training and our family activities. This means a lot of 4am training and a lot of indoor training. It also means that realistically I can't train more than 14 hours in a week. This limits my potential but I am happy to see what I can do within those constraints.

Within those constraints I was able to implrove my IM time by almost 1.5 hours in one year! To me this was very gratifying. I also involve my wife in every aspect of race week and we make a vacation out of the trip. The only reason I will not do one next year is because it does wear you out to so meticulously plan everything out all the time. So I'm taking a break.

If the IM did not feel rewarding personally to you then by all means it isn't worth the trouble. Some of us are lucky enough to have a family situation that is supportive of both the racing and the training. And you also have to be happy to be able to perform within your limitations. For me, I am around a 13 hour IM'er. However, I am excited to see what changes I can make to get that time lower within my alloted 14 hours/week. I believe I can get down to the low 12's and perhaps even break 12 depending on the day and the course. Will I ever see anything south of that? Probably not, but I'm cool with that. I have many years to train and enjoy.
2014-07-30 8:20 PM
in reply to: #5032958

Thank you for posting something that probably isn't a popular opinion here. I'm nowhere near considering IM, but halfs don't sound as crazy as they used to. I appreciate your post!

2014-07-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Good Topic! I'm 40 now and I really want to do an IM in 2015 but have significant concerns about the time commitment. I've done 4sprints and an Olympic but no 1/2 yet. Given you have to sign up so far in advance(unless you want to travel large distance) I was considering volunteering for IMWI so I could sign up for next Sept. That gives me time to ramp up the training, but With a 4 & 7 year old and a job that requires a decent amount of travel, I'm wondering if it may be too selfish to try to balance a crazy training schedule with all of the above.

Leaning toward just focusing on a 1/2 IM for next year, I seeing how I feel after that experience.....but worried I'm not getting any younger..lol. Would be interested to see how others handle the work, life, training balance.
2014-07-30 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I have done one, no regrets. That said no burning desire to do it every year like many out there. I have done 80 or so other races and I enjoy short course / him racing / masters swimming.
2014-07-30 9:46 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Veteran
Great White North
You averaged 14 hour weeks ? More than I was doing for 11.28 at Whistler and I figure my build should have just been longer. To allow for better adaptation to the higher loads. (Big weeks were 16 hours but many at 10-13, I need to do more of those mid range weeks). I figure 10.30 is realistic if I dont fall apart on the run like I did last year.

Thinking CDA in '16 to minimize conflicts with summer club swimming. Either that or the non wtc race in Montreal and just go against the clock.

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

I have done 2 IM's and I completely enjoyed the experience. I have a wife and three children and so it was a logistical nightmare to put in the training but that's where it becomes a family project. I work very hard at coordinating activities with my wife and teenage kids. 9 times out of 10 we find creative ways to fit in the training and our family activities. This means a lot of 4am training and a lot of indoor training. It also means that realistically I can't train more than 14 hours in a week. This limits my potential but I am happy to see what I can do within those constraints.

Within those constraints I was able to implrove my IM time by almost 1.5 hours in one year! To me this was very gratifying. I also involve my wife in every aspect of race week and we make a vacation out of the trip. The only reason I will not do one next year is because it does wear you out to so meticulously plan everything out all the time. So I'm taking a break.

If the IM did not feel rewarding personally to you then by all means it isn't worth the trouble. Some of us are lucky enough to have a family situation that is supportive of both the racing and the training. And you also have to be happy to be able to perform within your limitations. For me, I am around a 13 hour IM'er. However, I am excited to see what changes I can make to get that time lower within my alloted 14 hours/week. I believe I can get down to the low 12's and perhaps even break 12 depending on the day and the course. Will I ever see anything south of that? Probably not, but I'm cool with that. I have many years to train and enjoy.
2014-07-30 10:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I did IM and so what? Rss Feed  

of 3