2014-07-30 10:02 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-30 11:21 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Subject: RE: I did IM and so what?
Originally posted by simpsonbo

You averaged 14 hour weeks ? More than I was doing for 11.28 at Whistler and I figure my build should have just been longer. To allow for better adaptation to the higher loads. (Big weeks were 16 hours but many at 10-13, I need to do more of those mid range weeks). I figure 10.30 is realistic if I dont fall apart on the run like I did last year.

Thinking CDA in '16 to minimize conflicts with summer club swimming. Either that or the non wtc race in Montreal and just go against the clock.

Originally posted by Lock_N_Load

I have done 2 IM's and I completely enjoyed the experience. I have a wife and three children and so it was a logistical nightmare to put in the training but that's where it becomes a family project. I work very hard at coordinating activities with my wife and teenage kids. 9 times out of 10 we find creative ways to fit in the training and our family activities. This means a lot of 4am training and a lot of indoor training. It also means that realistically I can't train more than 14 hours in a week. This limits my potential but I am happy to see what I can do within those constraints.

Within those constraints I was able to implrove my IM time by almost 1.5 hours in one year! To me this was very gratifying. I also involve my wife in every aspect of race week and we make a vacation out of the trip. The only reason I will not do one next year is because it does wear you out to so meticulously plan everything out all the time. So I'm taking a break.

If the IM did not feel rewarding personally to you then by all means it isn't worth the trouble. Some of us are lucky enough to have a family situation that is supportive of both the racing and the training. And you also have to be happy to be able to perform within your limitations. For me, I am around a 13 hour IM'er. However, I am excited to see what changes I can make to get that time lower within my alloted 14 hours/week. I believe I can get down to the low 12's and perhaps even break 12 depending on the day and the course. Will I ever see anything south of that? Probably not, but I'm cool with that. I have many years to train and enjoy.

No, not 14 hours average. The average over 6 months was more like 10.5 hours with the highest volume weeks being 14 hours. I probably only had about 6 weeks that reached 14. 14 hours is my upper limit for volume. Having experienced 2 IM's I think I can realistically reach low 12's with that much training but how knows I may surprise myself.
2014-07-31 4:26 AM
in reply to: leftrunner

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've done one, I'm glad I did it but I don't see myself signing up for another one any time soon.  Not because it wasn't worth it or too selfish, I just haven't felt any draw to go back.  (maybe puking my guts up all night afterwards has something to do with that.   ) Now the half IM distance has me hooked - totally different experience IMO!

2014-07-31 6:21 AM
in reply to: #5033006

I think everyone's idea of what is "worth it" is different.

Triathlon is a selfish sport, in time, in money, it's a commitment that is indulgent, but worth the happiness it brings.

I think IM athletes have to allow themselves that selfishness, and be assured that they are worth it, both internally, and through support of family.

When my two kids were very young, I never exercised. I weighed over 100lbs more than I do now. I did EVERYTHING for them, for my family, and nothing for myself. I thought when you became a mom that was just how it was supposed to be. The result of that way of thinking was my own obesity, depression, and anger.

It took a while for me to realize that taking care of myself and being healthy had to mean allowing myself to be selfish!! When I finally completed my first 26.2, the 2012 Chicago marathon, it sealed the deal. Training for that was a lot of time. I had to be selfish with my mornings, with my weekends. But to cross that line meant for once I was "selfish" enough to take care of myself - and my family was proud and encouraged it. I rode that marathon finisher high for days! And I hope my first IM will feel even better. And to rid the guilt of time spent swimming, biking, and running.... I go to events in our community and I see my "former self" as a heavyset mom, those parents who are inactive, unhealthy, and a pretty sad sight. They are everywhere, unfortunately. And then I pat myself on the back for making a lifestyle change, for setting a good example for my kids, and get back on my bike!!
2014-07-31 7:27 AM
in reply to: kwhetzel4

It's definitely not worth it if you don't love it.

Find your passion.
2014-07-31 7:57 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Regular
I've done 3 IM's and have 2 fairly young children. In addition I work long hours and nights, so yes, I too sleep less during IM training. With that said, I don't believe I've lost out too much family time due to IM training. My best IM was the last one, where I took my family with me to CDA. We rented a house on lake, they fished and swam and loved it, plus we did cool stuff for a few days after. They also enjoyed race day and I can't even begin to analyze or stress the positives of exposing my kids to healthy minded, athletic competition environment that is so evident at IM races. They ride their bikes sometimes and pace me on my medium length runs.

IM training consumes a lot of your life, but it doesn't have to ruin it. If it does, then the decision may need to back down.

Tom

2014-07-31 9:28 AM

Cary, North Carolina
I am no where near approaching an IM but one day I want to do it! I just want to do one full one.... of course I say that now lol
2014-07-31 9:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I am doing my first IM in Boulder on Sunday. I am glad that the journey is almost over, it has been a long six month training period. Was it worth it? I won't know until about 9:00 Sunday night.

The only thing that I regret over the last six months is that training for an IM has taken me away from racing all of the shorter races (both running and tri) that I enjoy.
2014-07-31 9:50 AM
in reply to: #5033091

Expert
To me "worth it" means, given the family time I missed and the conversations where I wasn't there because I was calculating paces or thinking about the next week, was the feeling of satisfaction enough?

To me, it was not. To others it is. I've been married nearly 20 years with 3 school age kids, and the last 3-4 months and especially the last week, has been the first time in that 20 years where I feel I have really let down my wife and kids. I thought the thrill of finishing would make it worth it. Sunday night around 9pm and since then, it has not. Maybe over the ensuing weeks as I earn my place back in the family and reconnect with my wife, I will feel differently, I hope so. Maybe this is typical post IM letdown.

Hope the post and discussion will make others think it through when they click "register" and drop the $700+. The physical and mental commitment to training for an IM is far more than 2x a half-IM. Just make sure your whole family is up to the challenge. If not, it could be a very rough 6+ months.
2014-07-31 9:56 AM

Master
Bellevue, WA

I don't believe IM training and racing is in and of itself selfish.  instead, I think the way people go about it can be very self-centered and detrimental to overall balance in their life. They don't have the time for IM training unless they take it away from their family or job. They don't have the money for it unless they take it away from their family. They end up tired all the time, and thus have problems at work, with their spouse, or with their children.

If you are guilty of what I describe above, then it's likely you are being selfish.

I have completed 9 IMs (one or more each year since 2006) and cancelled four more. The first time I cancelled because IMAZ was the same weekend as my daughter's first Dad's Weekend at college. Doing that IM instead of going to her college would have been selfish. I cancelled. The second time I cancelled was because of work commitments. I just didn't have the time to do the training and still get done what I needed to get done. Doing the IM training and not getting my work done would have been bad for my family and thus selfish. I cancelled.  The third time I cancelled because of a bike crash and broken collarbone a couple months before the race, and the fourth one five months later because I wasn't healed. Trying to do IM training while still healing would have likely caused longer term health problems which would impact my family and job. That would have been selfish.

Another aspect of selfishness is expecting other people to make sacrifices and large accommodations for your personal wants and get nothing in return. 

I started IMs with my children in their teens, in high school. No daycare, not much homework help. My oldest had a driver's license and she could drive her sisters places. They had dance, drill, schoolwork that kept them busy. I often trained in the garage while they were out and we had dinner at 8pm as a family.  My wife was a stay at home mom.

I can easily afford the gear, training costs, and travel for destination races like Lake Placid, Cabo, Cozumel. . My job has flexible hours.I have a trainer and a treadmill at home. My pool is walking distance from my office. I don't have other hobbies. No one had to make any sacrifices or large accommodations for my IM hobby. 

This is directed at no one in particular, so don't be insulted if it sounds like you: when I read people's descriptions of how they try to squeeze in jobs, volunteer time, young children, spouses, and IM training, then I have to think "your life is hard enough as it is. It's already tough for you to juggle all that you have. You may be already struggling. Why would you ever add IM training to your life? It will probably not be worth it when you are done, and people will likely resent you."

2014-07-31 10:14 AM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by leftrunner

To me "worth it" means, given the family time I missed and the conversations where I wasn't there because I was calculating paces or thinking about the next week, was the feeling of satisfaction enough?

To me, it was not. To others it is. I've been married nearly 20 years with 3 school age kids, and the last 3-4 months and especially the last week, has been the first time in that 20 years where I feel I have really let down my wife and kids. I thought the thrill of finishing would make it worth it. Sunday night around 9pm and since then, it has not. Maybe over the ensuing weeks as I earn my place back in the family and reconnect with my wife, I will feel differently, I hope so. Maybe this is typical post IM letdown.

Hope the post and discussion will make others think it through when they click "register" and drop the $700+. The physical and mental commitment to training for an IM is far more than 2x a half-IM. Just make sure your whole family is up to the challenge. If not, it could be a very rough 6+ months.

This is an interesting discussion. There will be diverse opinion about what exactly being 'worth it' means.

I am personally quite happy to have found triathlon and had my own personal love/hate relationship with the quantity of training required for IM. I engaged my family from the start and they knew upfront that there was a huge time commitment. Seeing my 2 kids now get into triathlon (age 17 and 19) and really try to keep themselves fit and active does help me justify it a bit...but I would be active anyway, just not to the the extreme I needed for reasonable IM training.

I'm sorry that you seem to feel you've missed some family time, but I'm sure they understand that this was a trip you needed to take and they are likely more supportive than you think. School age kids are challenging enough and perhaps waiting a bit would have been better. Only you know your own personal situation. A refocus on family seems appropriate for you at this juncture.

But I do not feel that doing an IM is a 'so what' type of event. It is life changing for many. I am always so impressed by the number of fit people I see at IM races, of all ages, especially the older ones and truly want to be like them when I grow up-fit and active for life.

2014-07-31 10:15 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Expert
Boise, ID

Really depends on the individual situation. I have no kids and I think my wife was more excited about me signing up for IM than I was. Yes, she did gripe heavily about me waking up at 5:30am every Saturday for my long rides, but other than that no complaints. She likes to weight lift at the gym, I like tri, she has a 45-60min commute after work, I have a 15min and I get off earlier. So between her commute and going to the gym, I was usually home before her on the weekdays.

The trip to the race was a nice vacation for both of us, I tired to keep the focus on the vacation until just before the race, then it got serious. My situation and family worked fine for IM because we don't have kids and we are both active in different sports so the time spent was not an issue. Also my wife is pretty awesome and extremely supportive of anything I set my mind to. It is definitely a give and take. She got interested in bikini bodybuilding shows in late 2011, so 2012 I pretty well took the year off of tri and went to the gym to weight lift with her 5 times a week. Woke up early in the morning to take her walk with her, and walked late at night before bed with her. 2012 was the year of her "show" so I tried to make it all about her and my sport took a back seat. Last summer we agreed it was time for me to do my IM so winter and Spring 2014 was all about me and my IM. Now that my IM is over she is talking about another show. I will likely drop back to HIM for next year and maybe do some bike racing. I won't do another IM just to do it, I will wait till I know I can break the 12 hour mark.

Everyone has a different experience and personality. For some of us completing an IM is a huge deal, for others it is not. I tend to be very even keeled and keep my emotions (if any) to myself. Did I feel great about finishing an IM? You bet! Did I dance around, post to FB, have a party, cry, etc? No, just not my thing. I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling calling myself an ironman, I am proud of what I did, but I don't need anyone else to be happy for me or excited about it. So no, IM was not "life changing" for me, but I am glad I set the goal and accomplished it, I still get my butt handed to me on a weekly basis on my group rides, so I am nothing special.

Sorry you didn't have a great experience OP. I'm sure one day you will look back and be proud and happy that you set the goal and met it, but for now focus on your family and drop back to HIM or Oly. My riding buddies keep asking me if I am going to race an Oly or HIM this year, "if you finished an IM you should crush an Oly or HIM". I tell them, wrong! The training to actually race an Oly or HIM can be much more intense and difficult than IM training, and it takes a lot less time.

2014-07-31 10:37 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Before you make any major decisions consider "Post Race Blues"...it's a real thing and can foul you up pretty good for up to 2-4 weeks after a race.
2014-07-31 11:14 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Maybe over the ensuing weeks as I earn my place back in the family and reconnect with my wife, I will feel differently, I hope so.  

Without prying too much, can I ask if there any details you can share about this specific part? Is there anything you would do differently if there were a next time? Maybe others can learn from it. 

2014-07-31 1:30 PM
in reply to: #5033184

Expert
Nothing specific. I just altered my work schedule to allow me to train on weekends and therefore wasn't around for dates or family outings very much for the first half of summer. My marriage is fine, but I had always held up my time with my wife and kids as my top priority and for several months they were on the back burner.
2014-07-31 2:09 PM

Another in the "not worth it (to me)" camp. I've only done one IM length race and while I'm glad I did it, the emotional payout wasn't big enough to offset the schedule juggling, time away from family, etc. It was cool, but it was just a race...nothing life-altering or anything.

• ..and that's only paying $150 for the thing. I have no idea why people would fork over 5x that amount, but that's for a different thread.

• I train 9+ hr/wk and race Olys. I suppose that's my thing, never done a Sprint (but a HIM is definitely looks cool). I like racing in a series where I can see (hopefully) improvement over 4-5 races in a season and compete against some pretty good people. Some of the guys I see from race to race, and many are new faces who fly in just for one race, so it's a good, competitive mix. South Florida has a decent tri "scene," so I'm lucky.

Maybe I just prefer more "A" races in a season than training for months and months for just one day. I also like the strategic aspect of making my own training plans to maintain/peak/recover over several races in just a few months. It's pretty cool and provides endless hours of entertainment for me analyzing and creating/revising scenarios in Excel...but I'm a data nerd.

Anyway, YMMV. I just try not to fall in to the trap of hoping one race on one day will be some supercoolawesome thing. There's way more awe-inspiring stuff in life than Tri's.

2014-07-31 2:21 PM
    in reply to: Danno77

Originally posted by Danno77

Before you make any major decisions consider "Post Race Blues"...it's a real thing and can foul you up pretty good for up to 2-4 weeks after a race.

+1

There is often significant let down after a huge event.

But it does sound like you lost the balance in there somewhere, and were happy when it was over. The fact that you say you need to earn your place back in the family leads me to believe there was some resentment there, on both your parts.

This is a good read that touches upon some of these issues (balancing training and family, post-race let down, etc.) although the author never regretted doing it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/how-to-be-epic
    2014-07-31 3:34 PM
    in reply to: jennifer_runs

Miami
    I did my first IM this year (IMTX) and a signed up for another one in October (Barcelona. It is where I am from and it is the first IM there this year) a month after I completed Texas.

I loved it. I loved the journey, I loved the race, and I loved how triathlon helped me change to be a more effective and focused individual. I am way more efficient at work and in my personal life than ever before. When I am at work, I am 100% at it. When I am with my wife, I make sure I am 100% present. No TV, no cell phone, no just sitting around. Also, I waste a lot less time than before. I am always doing something productive. I was great at time management before, now I am even better.

Also, triathlon training keeps me sane and, actually, I enjoy a lot the time that I spend by myself. It lets me connect with my thoughts and I disconnect from the outside noise of the world. It is something that I need to reduce the stress from my very demanding job.

What triathlon brought to my life is not specifically from IM though. Doing triathlons is a lifestyle. IM training can take a lot out of you, at this stage of my life (just turned 30, married with no kids), I can manage to handle it without compromising other aspects of my personal and professional life. So, for me, yes it is totally worth it now, maybe in a few years when I have kids I have to scale down. Don't look at it as whether an IM is worth it, or not, look at it as whether triathlon is your passion and helps you being a better person. If so, keep enjoying it, if not, keep looking for your passion!
    2014-07-31 3:46 PM

Expert
    Scottsdale, AZ

Let's get this straight, it's not the IM that wasn't worth it but, rather, the weekly volume. You can spend 15+ hours a week prepping for sprints or just running or doing anything else really. It is not the event or some lack of satisfaction from the event that you didn't enjoy, you just feel you spent too much time away from your family. That's fair enough. Zero family at home here but I could see how putting one into my life would make me second guess the training weeks I've always done regardless of sport. If I had to drop that though to 10 or less hours a week I'd put triathlon racing down permanently and go do something else. 

2014-07-31 4:38 PM

Regular
    NW

I did my first IM and it wasn't worth it. Too much time away from family. Too selfish. Anyone else agree?

Yep. I did three of them over three years ending three years ago. I agree.

A month before my last IM, I dropped my 11-year old at Little League practice and went for a 1.5 hour run and picked him up. Sounds like a good use of time right? On the way home he asked if I was going to do another one after that year. I asked why he was asking? He said while it was fun to go to the races and all, he thought it would be nice to have me around more and not always tired. That sealed the deal.......almost. I still signed up the following two years thinking I could find the balance but I never enjoyed the training away from the family anymore and never placed my feet back at the starting line. The fact is that unless your only goal is to get to the finishline, IM training takes lots of time no matter how you justify it. Looking back, I have no idea how I did.

Be extremely grateful for your family working around your training.

2014-07-31 7:04 PM

Expert
    Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)

I did my first IM and it wasn't worth it. Too much time away from family. Too selfish. Anyone else agree?

What were your expectations? Specifically, what "value" did you hope it would bring you?

The reason I ask is that quite a few people have lofty expectations for the life change and meaning an IM will bring and are disappointed when they discover it's a really long race that not to many people care about. If you are a unhappy before the race, you will probably be more so after.

I have done two and hope to race more in the future. I have a young family and trained strategically.

2014-07-31 8:26 PM

Thanks for posting this, recently have discussed doing a 70.3 next year and it has my family a little concerned of how things will get juggled and its good to see other people perspective on the end result. I think it may help that my son recently has started swimming with me and joining in on the easy part of my bike rides but we shall see...
    2014-07-31 9:45 PM
    in reply to: #5033346

Expert
    I don't want to discourage anyone else. I wasn't very good at keeping it in perspective. I was never looking to podium or KQ or even break 13hrs, but I thought I needed to live every moment training or thinking about training.
    2014-07-31 11:07 PM

I can understand where the OP is coming from, but for me and my situation, doing an IM was all good. The way I look at is this...if you want to do an IM, there's a way. Triathlon for me is a hobby that complements my life, not the other way around. At the end of the day, it 's a balancing act and you have to choose how you want to pursue your IM ambitions. I mostly train at night after my family is in bed, or early in the am before they're up. Am I undertrained based on most training plans/coaches, probably. But I want to spend alot of quality time with my family, doing well at work, etc...so I've made a choice not to put tri training at the top of my list. I do my best, but I don't let tris consume me. Too many folks, imho, put blinders on and get too wrapped up in training, data, power meters, the latest and greatest equipment, etc. and lose focus on everything else....and this is when problems arise.

We do this for fun, right?

To the OP - congrats on your finish.

2014-07-31 11:52 PM
    in reply to: #5033556

Veteran
    Bessemer, AL
    I definitely understand your point. However, as a huge planner (as in I want to get every detail pinned down before I commit), I never would have committed to an IM with the conditions you listed. Family comes first and if I can't do {insert anything here} and be a great wife and mommy, I don't do that thing.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I did IM and so what? Rss Feed  

of 3