General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Albany, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 3s
Overall Rank = 36/285
Age Group = M40-45
Age Group Rank = 6/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 to drive from Dublin to New Albany to catch the bus. Had some oatmeal and coffee on the way and hydrated quite a bit. Dropped my bag off at T2 and set up my transition area before getting on the bus. Got on the bus a little after 5:00 and waited about 20 minutes until they left. Once at Alum Creek, I got my tires pumped up, set up my T1 and then waited a while.
Event warmup:

While the HIM waves were going off, I jumped in and swam a little to warm up. Other than that, just tried to stay off my feet and stay cool.
Swim
  • 28m 53s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Ran into the water and after my 4th stroke, my left goggle was leaking. I side stroked for s second while I was trying to fix it, I fixed it a bit, but water was still in there and was continuing to bother me the whole swim. I had some contact here and there, but the swim was about average for me.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my goggles were on better before the race started.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Nothing to note here. Ran to my transition area, got the wetsuit off, glasses and helmet on, put everything in the T1 bag and head out. Getting everything in the bag and cinching it shut cost me a few seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike ride. I tried not to push to hard and keep my HR in check. I passed a ton of people and was not passed by a single person. I think my slower swim has me behind the top guys in my age group. The course was alright, nothing great, but not terrible. There was some crowd support in Galena near the water station, but it was pretty lonely out there. Also on the last 6 miles or so into New Albany, there was a good amount of traffic buzzing by.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Good transition. Put socks on and shoes on, grabbed my race belt, water, and hat and took off. Felt something in my shoe and tried to fix it. That cost me about 10 seconds.
Run
  • 54m 45s
  • 6.81 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started off great. I felt really god the whole time. I was passed by many of the pros which was kind of neat. At the 5.5 mile mark, I picked it up a notch, but I thought I only had .75 miles to go. When I hit 6.25 and didn't hear any music, I knew I had a long way to go. Then you turn a good hill for last .5 miles and that killed me since I emptied the tank to get me to the 6.25 mark. To HFP's credit, the athlete guide did say 6.55.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched, had some water, and a PBJ.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Been working on distance for my marathon training. I think this had me lose some seed on the run and I didn't have nearly enough biking in over the past three weeks.

Event comments:

If this were an HFP race with HFP fees, I would give it a 5, but I expect more from a Challenge branded race with Challenge fees.

Last updated: 2014-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:53 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 46/285
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: One lap at alum creek.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:12 | 24.85 miles | 21.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 21/285
Wind: Some
Course: From Alum Creek to New Albany. Net Uphill course.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 89
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:45 | 06.81 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 45/285
Performance:
Course: Run some streets of New Albany and around the golf course with a bunch of rolling hills. Longer than traditional Olympic run. I had 6.81
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-08-03 4:56 PM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon

2014-08-07 8:46 AM
in reply to: #5034438

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon

Nicely done, Kevin!

It was great to see you out there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Challenge New Albany Half Triathlon

Started by DirkP
Views: 1897 Posts: 4

2014-08-06 2:36 PM strikyr

Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon

Started by kebwilson
Views: 877 Posts: 2

2014-08-07 8:44 AM cgregg

Started by anth
Views: 1187 Posts: 1

2014-07-30 2:10 PM anth

Challenge New Albany Olympic Triathlon

Started by cgregg
Views: 1219 Posts: 1

2014-07-29 4:24 PM cgregg

Started by jkuss14
Views: 1104 Posts: 2

2014-07-29 3:00 PM cgregg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.