United States
Vineman, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 59m 20s
Overall Rank = 285/700
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

On race morning I woke up at 3:30. I had a banana and a peanut butter toast for breakfast. My family dropped me off at Russian River swim start. Dropped off my specialty bags. I was there pretty early so I got a really great spot for my bike, it was farthest away from the water directly next to the walk way where the run carpet to the exit was located.
Event warmup:

I took about a 10 minute warm-up swim in the Russian River, it was very comfortable temperature wise. For the swim, I started closest to the bank, farthest away from the spectators where you needed to tread water.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 4s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was basically uneventful for the most part. Just an easy swim spotting the race markers until I got to the turnaround point. Many people were walking at the turn around because it was very shallow maybe 2 - 2 1/2 feet deep. I continued to swim the whole time keeping my stroke close to my body and was flying by the walkers. On the return back to the start about two dozen of us start swimming head-on into the swimmers on-coming from the other side. So, on the second loop I found it a whole lot easier only siting the cement pillar of the bridge and using only that as my focal point. I finished strong with the 1:19 on the swim very happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

I would spot the cement pillar on both the second and fourth lap.
Transition 1
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

I ended up using the Wet suit strippers. It was fairly fast. I got all my bike gear on and did not use the arm warmers I had set out. And headed out. I walked up the first hill on my bike as everyone suggested.
Bike
  • 8h 50m
  • 112 miles
  • 12.68 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to go a comfortable pace on the bike. In general, I really like the down hills and taking advantage of the momentum to push me forward on the ride. Unfortunately , there are not many downhill's that you could use to propel you up the hills. It seemed like there was a sharp turn or something (a rider slowing down) that took all your momentum away at the bottom of the hills. My pace felt really comfortable and I did exactly as I planned on the first half of the bike. But then I kind of lost it mentally a bit after mile 56. I had it in my head that the specialty bag was at mile 65, but it wasn't. So when I got to mile 56, I had gone past the bathrooms, passed the water and got my specialty bag. I only got my peanut butter and jelly sandwich which the bag was inflated to the point of almost popping. I didn't want to walk back to the bathroom so I just got my bike and rode off. This was mistake! Suddenly, I had to go to the bathroom like nobody's business. That's all I could think about and I was just frustrated not knowing when the next aide station was going to be. So for the next 25 miles my mental game was off. I began to feel the pain in back, my neck, the hotspots on my feet, my head felt like a bowling ball on my neck. I even rode with one elbow on the pad holding my chin up with my hand to reduce the weight I felt. I had a really tough time eating after mile 56 too. I had one quarter of my sandwich which was soggy and gross and then I just had one GU and that was it. At the 75 mile aide station, I went to the bathroom (yeah), I had ice put in my shirt (front and back), in my helmet, I had a banana, and some cold water. It was very refreshing . I felt renewed after that break. This was the first aide station where there were tons of people just hanging around getting food, drinks, going to the bathroom, it was very social. Obviously, I wasn't the only one who needed the aide station. I knew chalk hill was going to come up in the next 25 miles. I was feeling refreshed I was able to regroup and get my mental game back. The second loop on the bike was much harder than the first. I told myself if I got to 3 miles an hour on Chalk Hill I would get off and walk. So, The last portion of the hill I did just that I walked my bike. There was a great motivator on the hill (before or after, I don't remember). She was a high energy, crazy dancer girl. She was there all day and I truly appreciated her. My family was at the bottom of Chauk Hill too. They were amazing! The last 12 miles seem like an eternity. They say it's all downhill for the last 12 miles but that's not true. You get this great downhill, but you have to slowdown to cross the traffic for a left hand turn where there are cars and a police officer directing the traffic. The cars were too far over on the right side of the road where I Didn't feel safe going on the right side of the cars so I went on the left side of the cars for the turn. When you are spent like I was, the slightest incline was a hill... Finally finished the ride and walked my bike to T2.

Be on top of the special bag mileage location. Get better crank set/cassette so I can spin up the hills. My quads and glutes were on fire.
Transition 2
  • 08m 50s
Comments:

Finally finished the ride and I was completely spent. Changed my shoes and went to the bathroom. To give you an idea of how spent I was, I went to the bathroom forgot to lock the door and gave some guy a complete flash of my lower half as he opened my unlocked door. I didn't even care.

Lock the door. Ha ha!
Run
  • 5h 50m 6s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The run, oh my, it took me probably 13 miles before I got my running legs back. The run was very social, met lots of neat people, everyone was very nice and supportive. The spectators were awesome and motivating!

I walked every hill and I walked every aide station. I walked a lot in the beginning. I had on a fuel belt for the first 8 miles and dumped it after that, it just wasn't comfortable. My Nutritional plan was completely thrown out the window for the run. I had three GU's for the entire marathon and one chip at every aide station along with ice and water. I also had a cup of soda every other mile. Mentally and physically I really felt good, but I just couldn't get my body to move how my head wanted to it to until halfway through the run. People were dropping everywhere having a hard time because the heat was insane. I let the locals drench me when ever I encountered them, which got my shoes wet (but was a relief from the heat) and I had 5 giant blisters on my feet. I have learned to shift my thoughts in a race so I could ignore the pain. At the very last turn around I had the most wonderful view. The sun was just starting to set. The sky was a gorgeous orange and yellow. It was beautiful! It was nice to have that as my view on my final stretch. I ran the majority of the last lap until the end of the race and I felt great. It was time to go through the finish shute and the people were cheering and I had so much energy that I just sprinted through the tape at the end and then the cheering turned into roaring crowd. It was awesome!!!

Push it harder, earlier. Probably around mile 8 ish. I had so much left at the end. It showed me that I should have pushed it harder through out the run. But, the sprint at the finish did feel great, especially hearing the crowd go nuts.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat solid food, get a massage, and hit the med tent due to uncontrollable shivering.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mixing up the specialty bag location on the bike. Lost the mental game for a while.

Event comments:

Overall, loved it! My family was everywhere on the course cheering. I had MyAthleteTracker and my family knew exactly where I was through out the entire race. It made it easier for them to plan their next cheering spot. I highly recommend it.

Last updated: 2013-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:04 | 4224 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 204/700
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Easy and comfortable.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
08:50:00 | 112 miles | 12.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 412/700
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly, but doable. Some roads were very rough. I kept pinching my lip with my aero water bottle because a bump or divot would push the straw into my mouth when I tried to take a drink. Love seeing my family everywhere, especially before Chaulk Hill the second time around.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 08:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:50:06 | 26.2 miles | 13m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/19
Overall: 264/700
Performance: Below average
Course: Mild hills, but comfortable, with the exception of Chauk Hill - it sucks. Lots of great support from locals and spectators. Loved seeing my family at the finish line turnaround and at mile 22.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-03 9:15 PM

User image

Subject: Full Vineman Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Full Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by popsracer
Views: 2661 Posts: 8

2011-08-09 4:17 PM cbrave

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3243 Posts: 10

2011-08-28 10:14 AM enginerd

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by wavedog
Views: 3088 Posts: 12

2011-08-08 10:05 PM MissKelly

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by triOK
Views: 3434 Posts: 12

2011-08-07 12:38 AM ecpasos

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by WillP
Views: 2532 Posts: 8

2011-08-07 10:46 AM jngai94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.