General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Carolina Bike and Triathlon Activities Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-05 7:22 AM

Subject: North Carolina Bike and Triathlon Activities
I am possibly looking to relocate to the Winston Salam or Greensboro area. In google searches, biking seems to be semi popular in the area. Can anyone give me some insight on the road conditions and the amount of traffic faced during rides. The are seems pretty populated, which makes me a little nervous about biking on roads without shoulders, lanes, or good visibility.

Any insight on places to swim or clubs in the area? Found a few through Google and Facebook, I am sure there are more.

2014-08-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Subject: RE: North Carolina Bike and Triathlon Activities
I live in Davie County, a rural area just a few miles south of Winston-Salem. Out where I live the roads are great for riding. Traffic for the most part is light, and there is a pretty active cycling community, so bikes on the road are commonplace. You are correct in your statement about no paved shoulders on the roads, but it isn't as much of an issue as you might think.

I would suggest doing an activity search on Strava and you'll get any idea about some of the local routes.

I work in WInston-Salem, and commute to work by bike a few times a week from April to October. It is about a 40 mile round trip to where I work near Wake Forest Univ. For the most part, the ride isn't bad in the morning, although I ride home in heavy traffic most of the way.

Most of my longer rides tend to be more toward the western part of the area in Yadkin, Iredell and Surry county. These are pretty rural areas, so again traffic isn't an issue. One thing about riding in the country is you encounter a lot of loose dogs ... there are no leash laws in most counties. You get used to it after a while.

There are many group rides in the area, especially leaving from the Lewisville area, which is a suburb of W-S. There are many cycling and triathlon clubs in the area.

There are plenty of places to swim. All of the local YMCAs have 25y pools, and there are lifeguard attended open water swims at Lake Norman about an hour south of W-S.

I don't particularly think of the area as very populated, but then again I live in the country with no desire to live in an urban area.

Personally, I think it is a great area. The winters are somewhat mild (I ride outside year round), but the summers can be very hot and humid.

Good Luck.

Edited by rventuri 2014-08-05 12:34 PM
2014-08-05 7:05 PM
in reply to: rventuri

Thanks for the response. What are the name of the area clubs?
2014-08-06 8:04 AM
in reply to: shoff14

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
In the Winston-Salem area the largest cycling club is Piedmont Flyers.

http://piedmontflyers.wildapricot.org/

The local tri club is called Tricows.

https://www.facebook.com/TriCOWS

Most of the local bike shops (Cycle Therapy, Clemmons Bicycle, Mock Orange, Pauls Cycling) also sponsor group rides a few times a week.

Also, Meetup is a great source for finding group rides.

Bob
2014-08-06 8:51 PM
in reply to: rventuri

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Carolina Bike and Triathlon Activities Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inside-Out Sports North Carolina Triathlon Series

Started by Ubear97
Views: 1502 Posts: 11

2011-11-07 8:53 AM DMarkSwan

North Carolina USA Triathlon Special License Plate

Started by climbertjh
Views: 1953 Posts: 4

2011-09-16 8:15 AM DMarkSwan

North Carolina Water temps

Started by mfortmann
Views: 1641 Posts: 4

2009-05-19 10:15 AM mfortmann

Recs for North Carolina Tris

Started by mlm2902
Views: 1087 Posts: 9

2007-03-28 8:59 PM mlm2902

New to North Carolina

Started by Bunks
Views: 1533 Posts: 15

2006-12-13 1:40 PM tzmitch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.

date : April 10, 2005
author : scuba-punk
comments : 2
Tuesday April 5, 2005 marks the 1 year anniversary of my departure from my old life - a life consuming bags of fried pork rinds and way less activity than a person should be able to get away with.