General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adrenal/Chronic Fatigue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-06 12:10 AM

Subject: Adrenal/Chronic Fatigue
Has anyone else gone through this sort of fatigue?

I've gone from doing around 10-11 triathlon training sessions per week to struggling to walk more than a couple of minutes at a time without a rest, sleeping all the time and not having any energy to do anything.

2014-08-06 3:08 AM
in reply to: elliot.power

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Adrenal/Chronic Fatigue
My husband is currently dealing with Adrenal fatigue, along with some other issues.

Get yourself to a good Doctor or Nautropath and get some proper testing done. From our experience and what we have read recovering is a slow and frustrating process so go easy on yourself and get some treatment before you get too bad.

We have totally changed our diet and it is helping. We basically now eat the Paleo Diet, you might find some useful information here http://goodfoodeating.com/adrenal-fatigue-handbook/but definitely get to a health practitioner as well.
2014-08-06 5:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

There is apparently a test kit you can buy that does saliva testing to diagnose this.

I think you take 4 or 5 saliva samples and mail it in

I don't believe you need a Dr's prescription for this.
There is a podcast called Zen and the art of triathlon. There is an episode with Ben Greenfield where he discusses this.

You can google things like "Adrenal fatigue", "Cortisol" to find out more,
2014-08-06 6:06 AM
in reply to: marcag

New user
Key West
I had chronic fatigue syndrome 20 years ago when most doctors thought it was just in your "head." Other doctors, mine, thought it was related to Epstein Barr. I had the same symptoms as you appear to have. I was a runner at the time (still am), and although I still ran everyday at lunch time, it was labored and by the time I got home at night, could not even lift my arms or otherwise really function. It was pretty awful. There really was not treatment at the time other than "rest" which I didn't have the luxury of doing (Navy and a single mother), so I just drug myself through those months. Finally, it passed. I wish I could put my finger on what triggered it and stopped it, but I'm not sure. I feel for you though, it can be tough and no one who hasn't gone through it understands how overwhelming the fatigue is.
2014-08-06 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by marcag

There is apparently a test kit you can buy that does saliva testing to diagnose this.

I think you take 4 or 5 saliva samples and mail it in

I don't believe you need a Dr's prescription for this.
There is a podcast called Zen and the art of triathlon. There is an episode with Ben Greenfield where he discusses this.

You can google things like "Adrenal fatigue", "Cortisol" to find out more,

I've done the saliva test 3x and have been seeing both a general practitioner and naturopathic dr for a few years. I ended up getting Shingles around my 40th birthday and that's what triggered seeing Doc's. Ends up my cortisol levels are near rock bottom. I did a 24hr urine collection test too, wanted to double check the validity of the saliva tests. What seems to work for me is low-dose naltrexone (LDN) at night and 5mg Hydrocortisone mid morning. Other thing that really works well is eating clean. No sugar, no sweetener, no simple processed carbs. Getting that stuff out of diet also reduces inflammation and I feel much better.

There was a period where I could barely get out of bed in the mornings and needed naps in the afternoons. My GP gave me a 5 day script of prednisone and that got me to feel normal within a day. The on going side effects of prednisone are not something I want, so that lead me to look into other options. The 5mg hydrocortisone + LDN combo does the trick without the side effects. Before anyone goes all glucocorticosteroids are banned competition substances (hydrocortisone), the amount I'm taking moves me from near zero to barely any. When we first did the cortisol tests my naturopath doc had to discuss Addison's disease with me based on the results. Luckily I'm not that bad off.

Regarding Adrenal/Chronic fatigue... that seems to be the generic diagnosis that gets used. I followed a naturopath regime to correct things and it did nothing for me. My issue really seems to be chronic low level inflammation. I have arthritis (everywhere, it sucks) and two bulging discs. With low cortisol levels those conditions really drag you down.

Link to a LDN study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24526250
2014-08-06 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I understand the frustration. I thought I had the same thing but turns out I got Mono.

2014-08-06 2:06 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

Subject: ---
I've gone on a paleo/clean eating diet with more fat, less carbs, etc for the last two months. I've been on a course of vitamin b, b12 shots, zinc, magnesium, fish oil, vitamin d, probiotic, antioxidant, etc but it hasn't particularly made a difference.

I've had blood, urine, stool, etc tests. I've made x rays, MRI, colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc which revealed IBS.

I've tried altering my lifestyle to remove all stresses in life, trying altering my sleeping patterns, removing stresses at work and at home, moving house to get better sleep, etc.

I've pretty much tried everything.

I'm getting so desperate that I'm becoming mildly depressed when I get home from work. I'm literally getting to the tipping point where I'm emotionally broken. It's getting pretty awful.
2014-08-06 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: ---
What does your Dr say ?
2014-08-06 6:39 PM

Dr says to remove stress, eat well, sleep well, etc.

I've tried all these for over 6 months and I'm getting worse.
2014-08-07 3:50 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by elliot.power

Dr says to remove stress, eat well, sleep well, etc.

I've tried all these for over 6 months and I'm getting worse.

How do you feel when you wake up from sleep during the weekend? dUring the week? have you had any extended time off with no respnosibilities?

When I go "on vacation" I frquently sleep 12 hours a night and initially beat myself up over not "enjoying" vacation by getting out and doing stuff. But I think what really happens is that i am catching up on what I miss out on by staying busy.

When my dad retired, he slept 10-12 hours a night for about 6 months when immediately prior to retirnement it was 5-7 hours.

What do you do for a living? What kinds of stress?

Just curious is all.
2014-08-07 7:25 PM
in reply to: #5035700

User image

I had fatigue issues 7 years ago. I asked my doctor about things like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, adrenal fatigue, etc and he told me that's just a diagnosis from Doctor's who don't know what's wrong. Fast forward through multiple sleep studies, exams, blood workups, etc (and thousands of dollars) and he diagnosed me with idiopathic hypersomnia. I wasn't sure what that meant so I looked it up. Turns out it was fancy doctor talk as idiopathic means of unknown cause. I was sleeping 18-20 hours per day, falling asleep whenever I sat down etc. Obviously exercise wasn't a big issue at that point. I've been on every stimulant known to man, including a bunch of controlled substances. Of course those kept me awake but I couldn't sleep so I've been on every sleeping pill there is as well.

I changed jobs and moved to a new town that offered more flexible hours. It didn't help that I was 90 pounds overweight and I don't believe my body needed to take pills for the rest of my life. My hometown hosts the biggest 25k in the country every year so I signed up for that on a whim. Couldn't run 20 seconds at the time. I decided I needed to lose weight so I did some research and went strict paleo and started couch to 5k. Lost a lot of weight, finished the race, etc but the best part was at some point the fatigue disappeared! I started keeping a detailed food log and we noticed a pattern. If I ate like crap (processed food) my fatigue came back, in particular if I eat much gluten

Sorry for the wall of text but it's something I care a great deal about.

The tl:dr version, diet was causing my fatigue issues.

2014-08-07 7:29 PM
in reply to: #5036732

User image

I just read through the posts again. Have you had a sleep study done? What about the kind where they monitor you at night and again the following day when they make you take naps to see how fast you fall asleep (multiple sleep latency test or something like that)?
2014-08-07 10:28 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by elliot.power I've gone on a paleo/clean eating diet with more fat, less carbs, etc for the last two months. I've been on a course of vitamin b, b12 shots, zinc, magnesium, fish oil, vitamin d, probiotic, antioxidant, etc but it hasn't particularly made a difference. I've had blood, urine, stool, etc tests. I've made x rays, MRI, colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc which revealed IBS. I've tried altering my lifestyle to remove all stresses in life, trying altering my sleeping patterns, removing stresses at work and at home, moving house to get better sleep, etc. I've pretty much tried everything. I'm getting so desperate that I'm becoming mildly depressed when I get home from work. I'm literally getting to the tipping point where I'm emotionally broken. It's getting pretty awful.

I really, really, really, really feel you. Thank you for posting. You are not alone.

I spent the better part of three years staring at my ceiling because of various serious illnesses. Ever since then, though, I've had SOMETHING (whatever anybody wants to label it) that's like a post-viral syndrome, auto-immune symptoms, blah blah. Yes, there were many times when shuffling down the street in flip flops was a MAJOR outing and accomplishment. Right now is not good either; hypothyroid, joints hurt like hell (I have arthritis) and am the sole caretaker for an elderly mother with Alzheimer's who, because she's nevertheless still healthy and active, needs to be watched 24/7. It's all I can do to keep my eyelids up sometimes, never mind my spirits.

HANG IN THERE. Sleep as much as you may need to. Post here; whine here; do whatever you need to do (or NOT do) to just get through each day. I do get how depressing (not just sad, not just a little blues) this is for someone who wants to be active. Mental "training" or practices may help--meditation, gratitude, biofeedback, positive thought, recovery yoga (there are excellent series for people who are old, recovering from illness, etc.) They give you something positive to do that's actually doable and will help you now both physically and when you recover.

I had typhoid fever (I've had it several times), once a drug-resistant variety and I went hemorrhagic. It was not responding to anything. I was pretty much on my own. Whole foods only, a ton of garlic, manukah honey, goji berries. Nothing works like a charm, but I felt it helped. And the meditation/yoga practices, hugely. There were times I just lay in child's pose and/or death pose for 30min ... somehow it was better than just lying in bed. (Well, at least it was different).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adrenal/Chronic Fatigue Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chronic chafers, step forward!

Started by davidm724
Views: 874 Posts: 4

2008-05-05 6:29 AM davidm724

Have you been sick (chronic coughing)?? Pages: 1 2

Started by Krakatoa
Views: 2070 Posts: 33

2008-01-31 2:50 PM JLarge

How Fatigued is Too Fatigued?

Started by nowalk
Views: 1606 Posts: 12

2007-06-18 3:18 PM nowalk

chronic tiredness

Started by gathius
Views: 1075 Posts: 21

2006-08-24 4:09 PM jtopin

chronic bursitis.

Started by gonetrialing
Views: 682 Posts: 3

2006-04-07 1:00 PM akabak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : June 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
Workout associated fatigue is our gauge of a quality workout program. But, excessive or debilitating fatigue adversely affects workout quality, limiting performance gains.
date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
I went in for a fitting because I had been having chronic stabbing pain in my shoulder/neck whenever I ride for more than 30 minutes. I'm planning a half Ironman this summer, any help for this?

date : January 5, 2009
When I was only a runner, I didn't have this issue. But now, going into my third year as a triathlete, my calves and occasionally my Achilles are tight and painful throughout most of my mileage.
date : August 12, 2008
The diagnosis was epicondylitis medial and tendinopathy in both elbows with partial rupture of the common flexor tendon. Are there any more treatments available that I haven't tried?

date : April 14, 2008
What you're describing sounds very much like chronic exertional compartment syndrome. This can cause pain and numbness like you're describing.
date : January 16, 2008
comments : 1
My symptoms have been present off and on for almost two years. Is this a surgical problem, or should I just keep managing it for as long as I can?

date : September 3, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 2
A general observation of how fatigue can be caused by so many different sources. Finding the true reason can be as simple as watching the sun rise.