General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming: is there proper lane usage? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-15 8:43 PM

User image

Cheese Country
Subject: Swimming: is there proper lane usage?
I'm doing my first tri this Saturday (long sprint). I'm a beginner so I'm slow and will try to go the shortest route possible. The route we are swimming goes straight out and back - out on one side of the rope and back on the other. Is there a recommended spot for beginners so we can get out of the way of the speedy swimmers? On the outside, on the inside... wherever you land?

Just curious... Thanks!

2006-08-15 10:00 PM
in reply to: #512831

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
Subject: RE: Swimming: is there proper lane usage?
Is the swim open water or pool? Now the following answer is for if it is open water and what has worked for me. I know you would like to take the shortest possible route during your swim, but I have found that if you swim towards the outside of everyone it is better. The faster swimmers aren't swimming over you and there is more room to move if you need to. Once you start getting to the turn around, cut in on a gradual diagonal to cut the turn close to the rope, then head back to the outside if you feel better out there.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming: is there proper lane usage? Rss Feed