Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 54m 22s
Overall Rank = 74/339
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left friends house in Canton at 5:15 and took close to an hour to drive the last mile to the lake and get parked. So that eat into a lot of my pre-race routine. Quickly took my gear to transition and got chip and body markings. Went back to transition and got my stuff ready. Got into the porto-john line and took about 15 minutes to get through the line. By then it was 6:50 and time to go to start line.
Event warmup:

I was kind of chilly (58) so i didn't want to jump into the cold lake and have to stand around for 15 minutes until my wave went, so i skipped my usual 10 minute warmup swim
Swim
  • 32m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got banged around at lot in the first ~300 or so. Found myself only breathing to the right side, i started to bi-lateral breath but was getting short of breath. Not sure what was going on, as i never have that problem. Since it was my first half i decided to not fight it and only went to the one side for the rest of the swim. I ended up swimming next to some guy for a while and decided to get behind him and drafted off him for most of the second half of race.
It felt easy and i thought about getting out of the draft but figured it would save some energy.
What would you do differently?:

Probably should have swam a little faster in the second half, but overall i was happy enough.
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

It is a long run from out of water to T1. I didn't rush things, just took my time and talked to the guy next to me who hadn't had time to even up pack his bags. Wetsuit got stuck on my second heel, always happens. Need to practice that at home.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 39s
  • 52 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out conservative enough. Didn't feel over-exerted at all and stuck with a group of 2 others who had been passing me on the downhills and i would pass them on the up hills. I was happy enough.

Maybe go a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Didn't kill myself getting in and running gear on. Had a bottle of water and some food in t2 before i headed off.
Run
  • 1h 30m 25s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great starting the run, ran a 7:08 for first mile which was faster than i wanted plus it was uphill. Slowed to 7:20s for the next 2 miles up hill. Next 3 miles downhill were super at about 7:05. Second lap and the quads started to burn. Kept telling myself once i get to the top it is about over so pushed through those 3 miles 7:25,45,52. Let it rip down the hill and did all sub 7s.

Was hoping for 1:40, so i was happy with the outcome

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Got changed and something to eat and got in car to try and drive the 1.5 hours before i hadn't the energy. Unfortunately it took and hour to get out of the parking lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too conservative on the swim and bike

Event comments:

I always feel setup does a good job. There were plenty of people out on the bike course. Next year i need to leave some time to get there on time with the traffic getting into the lake.

Last updated: 2014-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:58 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 168/339
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:43:39 | 52 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Overall: 135/339
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: It was a lumpy enough course. Second half was definitely harder than the first half. Tough little climb around mile 40 and then the second to last mile. As i do most of my long rides in the mountains i didn't find the ride particularly tough, but talking to others they did find it hard.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:30:25 | 12.7 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 17/339
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps out and back. The out part of the course is ALL uphill. Not too steep but you know you are going uphill. The mile markers were pretty spot on but then the last mile was .4 miles short. Not sure why they didn't make it a full 13.1
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-08 3:30 PM

Subject: Lake Logan Half
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan Half Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Logan Half

Started by jmkizer
Views: 2470 Posts: 9

2014-08-07 1:23 PM amd723

Lake Logan Half

Started by alk926
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2014-08-04 10:36 AM alk926

Lake Logan

Started by medic0020
Views: 1884 Posts: 6

2007-08-13 12:05 PM tzmitch

Lake Logan Triathlon

Started by foots
Views: 1753 Posts: 6

2007-08-13 11:58 AM tzmitch

Lake Logan

Started by dabrown
Views: 1653 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 6:32 AM dabrown
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.