General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So....I did a 5.5 trainer ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-10 6:40 PM

User image

Subject: So....I did a 5.5 trainer ride
And to my surprise...it sucked. I had to stop and get up every 70-90 minutes to go to the rest room (didn't really *need* to go) just to keep myself sane. Rain stopped and I got in a 45 min run brick. Was trying for an hour but I'm running and smelling everyone cooking cheeseburgers and I about lost it. All I had with me was water and I had to stop and walk home. Damn those good smells!!! At least I think I found my resolve again. I've been skipping a lot of workouts lately but if I do go this, then can man up and finish up my training.

2014-08-10 7:26 PM
in reply to: Blastman

Subject: RE: So....I did a 5.5 trainer ride

Did you watch movies or listen to music?

2014-08-10 9:15 PM

User image

2014-08-10 10:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by yazmaster

Did you watch movies or listen to music?

Movies for 5 hours and then music at the end. I was counting down the minutes the entire time. The further I got in though, the easier it got for me to stay with it. Seeing 30 minutes on my watch and telling myself, "ok...only 5 more hours to go...which is only 10 more times what you just did" is a little heart breaking on a trainer. Next weekend is the 6 hour ride. Hopefully the weather plays nicer.

Edited by Blastman 2014-08-10 10:06 PM
2014-08-10 10:16 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
That's amazing! Longest I've done is 2.5. I'm not much of a movie watcher though, so I find new series on Netflix/Amazon Prime Video to watch. I find that the shorter segments keeps me motivated. ANd, I have to do set intervals so that I can focus on small amounts of time instead of one big chunk.

Kuddos to you! Hope you can get outside soon!
2014-08-11 1:04 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Wow - fair play - longest I've managed is 3hrs. Have a feeling this winter could see some longer ones though as I prepare for an early season race!

2014-08-11 5:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Outstanding! Glad to see someone else who's nuts

For a change of pace, pick up the Spinervals Hard Core 100. It's a 5 hour Spinerval. I've done it a couple times

I get off the bike and walk upstairs to fill/refill my water bottle every half hour just to move my legs somehow other than on the rollers.

Edited by DanielG 2014-08-11 5:35 AM
2014-08-11 6:49 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I've done a few of those in training for early season IM races. Michigan weather never plays nice early season. I used videos of Kona, magazines, movies to get through it.  And I would always get off once an hour to use the restroom and refill my water bottles.  Think of the mental toughness you are gaining.

2014-08-11 6:56 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Blastman

Movies for 5 hours and then music at the end. I was counting down the minutes the entire time. The further I got in though, the easier it got for me to stay with it. Seeing 30 minutes on my watch and telling myself, "ok...only 5 more hours to go...which is only 10 more times what you just did" is a little heart breaking on a trainer. Next weekend is the 6 hour ride. Hopefully the weather plays nicer.

Hehehe, I feel your pain - literally.  I just did 4 hours on Saturday, and I'll be maxing out at 6 in my overload week.

I experience the same thing.  By the time you get 3 hours in, I'm able to look at that last hour and I'm like "whew, only 60 minutes to go!".  By the time I get down to the last 30, 20, 10 minutes I'm all like "that was a breeze!".

I was able to do almost the entire 4 hours without getting off the bike... had one stop around 2:30:xx for under 5 minutes.  

Nothing like finishing 4 hours on the trainer and THEN remembering that not only did you totally forget the Body Glide/Chamois Butter, but you didn't miss it.

#IronTaint

2014-08-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Veteran
Nice job. Longest for me was 4 hours when in IM training......and I HATED, HATED, HATED it. Argh. I actually did it several times and when I look back, I don' t know how I did it.

It's pretty depressing when you go through the extended version of one of the Lord of the Ring films and you still have to be on the bike.
2014-08-11 10:43 AM

And  then the only remaining question is - did you use Trainerroad to keep your wattage honest?

2014-08-11 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

That's just crazy!  Most I've done on a trainer is 1:45 for a sweet spot ride. Crazy I say!

This morning I went for a run and on the way back ran past a Smokehouse joint that was cooking the day's meat.  The winds were blowing just right and I got a wiff of that and my mouth started drooling!  At the HIM I did in March, the run was on a paved trail that at one point had a joint selling roaster chicken meals.  I had to run past it 4 times and each time it killed me. 

2014-08-11 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Great job! The longest that I did on the trainer last winter was just over 3 hours. I watched two movies and was still bored to death.
2014-08-11 12:34 PM

And to my surprise...it sucked. I had to stop and get up every 70-90 minutes to go to the rest room (didn't really *need* to go) just to keep myself sane. Rain stopped and I got in a 45 min run brick. Was trying for an hour but I'm running and smelling everyone cooking cheeseburgers and I about lost it. All I had with me was water and I had to stop and walk home. Damn those good smells!!! At least I think I found my resolve again. I've been skipping a lot of workouts lately but if I do go this, then can man up and finish up my training.

I don't care how bad it is outside, I would never go more than three hours. 5 hours is simply put, insane.
2014-08-11 9:20 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

And  then the only remaining question is - did you use Trainerroad to keep your wattage honest?

I did not. I just kept a steady ~185-190watt pace, which is a a little lower than I wanted but was a little worried about getting mentally burned out (e.g., "That interval was hard. This is too hard and boring...screw it") . I learned long ago that trying to do intervals on my long rides = me crashing and dieing at the end. I tried a few 4-5 hour workouts from the Training with a Power Meter book and I have no idea how mere mortals could honestly do those. Hour tempo, 60+ mins of SS, and a few V02Max just to kick you while you're down. The workouts started with good intentions but by the end, I'm having issues just trying to stay in Z2 and the remaining intervals....ha forget it. Next year I'll work on this but when I'm this close to me race, I just wanted a steady ride for my long day but I still do intervals during the week.

But the trainer ride IS doable! It was nice saving ~30-40 minutes not having to drive my bike out and back to a staging area but I think I'll take the time hit this week
2014-08-11 9:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

I did not. I just kept a steady ~185-190watt pace, which is a a little lower than I wanted but was a little worried about getting mentally burned out (e.g., "That interval was hard. This is too hard and boring...screw it") . I learned long ago that trying to do intervals on my long rides = me crashing and dieing at the end. I tried a few 4-5 hour workouts from the Training with a Power Meter book and I have no idea how mere mortals could honestly do those. Hour tempo, 60+ mins of SS, and a few V02Max just to kick you while you're down. The workouts started with good intentions but by the end, I'm having issues just trying to stay in Z2 and the remaining intervals....ha forget it. Next year I'll work on this but when I'm this close to me race, I just wanted a steady ride for my long day but I still do intervals during the week. But the trainer ride IS doable! It was nice saving ~30-40 minutes not having to drive my bike out and back to a staging area but I think I'll take the time hit this week

I'll follow some of those workouts too, but tend to lighten them up just a bit. They can get crazy hard!

I have been finding it better to vary the effort some instead of cranking away at a completely steady effort. Sometimes I'll throw in the 8 sec or so bursts the book workouts may have and/or have some pace variations going back and forth between say about 70% and 75% for at least a few minutes at each. Keeps me more engaged and seem more able to handle things with at least some variation in there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So....I did a 5.5 trainer ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stationary Trainer Rides: Equal to Road Rides?

Started by doeriga
Views: 2395 Posts: 11

2009-12-14 9:03 AM Leegoocrap

Longest Ride You've Done on a Trainer Pages: 1 2 3

Started by supa-powa
Views: 4970 Posts: 60

2014-02-19 7:37 AM Hot Runner

Blackburn fluid trainer - what am I doing wrong?

Started by trishie
Views: 635 Posts: 2

2009-06-15 10:10 PM Experior

anyone doing the Horrible Hilly Hundreds century ride...

Started by pigfinn
Views: 1175 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 4:33 PM morey1

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 991 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"