Set Up Events
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 41s
Overall Rank = 21/154
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

slept in greenville house the night before the race and listened to the storm that loomed overhead. ate brixx pizza the night before and drank lots of water. got up in the morning, ate the standard steel cut oats, banana, and coffee. on the drive to the aquatic center drank some advocare rehydrate and took anti-fatigue caps. set up transition and then warmed up.
Event warmup:

rode 2 miles made sure bike was shifting and roads were mostly dry. got in the pool and swam a few hundred mostly easy but did 50m hard. took 1st gu 15 minutes prior to race start.
Swim
  • 07m 25s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

Despite trying to make my goggles tight, I still managed to completely flood my left goggle when I dove in. I finished the 1st 50m then paused at the wall to correct my goggle situation. I passed 5 swimmers during the 400m and got passed by none. I swam 9 seconds faster than last year and that was mostly due to practicing lane transitions.
What would you do differently?:

keep goggle on my face better
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

pretty solid t1, made the run from the aquatic center, got the speedsuit off and got helmet on. i had prepared for the flying mount but decided to abandon it when I looked at the long run from transition to the mount line and it had a good amount of debris on it from the downpour the night before. so I put shoes in in transition. made a great running mount onto the bike but almost crashed because the guy in front of me almost wiped me out (he was struggling mightily with his bike mounting process). t1 was 41st overall and 4th in age

evade other triathletes
Bike
  • 39m 57s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.53 mile/hr
Comments:

the bike course was damp and had a few spots of dirt washing out onto the road but given the sharknado that occurred the night before the course was in very good shape. I took the corners slower than I normally would because I didn't want to go down, but it was probably over conservative. I also trailed the brake hard on the downhill at mile 7 on the hard corner because I was having flashbacks from 2008 when I saw a guy endo into the tress on the other side of the corner. I had one small issue shifting chain rings for about 20 seconds around mile 10 but was able to work it out. the back half of the course which has most of the slow steady climbing was a nice surprise because this section had tail wind the whole way back. I took gu's at mile 1 and 14.5. I rode bont aeolus wheel which I had bought earlier this year specifically for this course and the climbed like champs. I also shaved the arms and legs for a free 10 watts and a was wearing the specialized tt2 helmet instead of the lazer tardiz; it felt much faster. Also, practicing hills in Laurens SC helped out a lot.

pretty much perfect bike and my fastest ever on non-flat terrain.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

very smooth transition. the newly acquired inov-8 tri-x-treme 275 shoes were tremendous to get into. I had an extra anti-fatigue set next to my shoes but it decided to not hang out (probably kicked it during t1) 14th overall and 2nd in age.

not lose my anti-fatgue
Run
  • 21m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

tried to keep the pace as hard as possible for a long as possible, wnr through 3 running mantras. prefonatine's this is a good day to die, IZZY's dumb song, before finally settling on it's just a hill get over it. the 1 mile section of xterra (4 .25 mile trips) was muddier than most years due to sharknado but they luckily had filled in most of the washouts from previous year earlier in the week so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. hill repeats the week before proved to be a great help. the new inov-8 tri-x-treme 275 were amazing to run in despite having bought them thursday night. i got 1 mile of running in the prior to the tri; despite this my feet had 0 hot spots on them, the drained water and mud as good as advertised, and accelerated fast, but felt like slippers (I would recommend any triathlete buy these shoes at greenville running company). I finished the race with a head first slide into the finish line, the grass was very damp so I figured might as well do something awesome.

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

did an interview with a reporter from the greenville news about why triathlon is great! got some coke, water, and pretzels. bought some merchandise from the season ending close blowout (this happens every year), then went over and talked to Jason from ORR wheels while my friend bought a set of carbon wheels from them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

pretty much nothing, my best race in greenville 3 attempts and this one was a little better than 4 minutes faster than 2008 and 2013 attempts.

Event comments:

Great race once again this year. There were two water stations you passed through twice on the run, which is unreal for a sprint course. The pool swim was very smooth and non chaotic due to the large lanes and one way traffic. The bike course was nice and rolling on mainly smooth roads with tons of volunteers at every turn. The run course is a bit sketchy with the service road. Overall a great race and i won't hesitate to do it again. This race brings out the elites big time, so you absolutely need to be ready to race your best race of the season here.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:25 | 400 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 34/154
Performance: Good
Suit: nineteen frequency
Course: The event begins with a 400 meter pool swim in the 50 meter Westside Aquatic Center facility. Athletes wient off every 10 seconds and swim one way in each lane. At each wall athletes will go under the lane rope and into the next lane until a total of 8 lengths have been completed. They also allowed for a diving start which is unheard of for setup events.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:55
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:57 | 15 miles | 22.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 17/154
Wind: Little
Course: BEWARE of the hill at approximately mile 7 it descends quickly and takes a hard right turn, when the course is wet (as it normally is) this is a dangerous corner. The bike course is a one loop 15 mile course. The first and last sections of the course are on fairly busy 4 lane highways. However, the curbside lane is closed from traffic on all these sections of highway. The middle portion of the course is on quiet country roads. Terrain is moderate to hilly with no major grades, just long rolling climbs and descents. Turns are marked with pavement arrows and directional signs. Police and volunteers control all intersections on the course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:45 | 03.1 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 35/154
Course: The run course is a two loop 3 mile course. Athletes will begin the first 1.5 mile loop in front of the aquatic center before returning back to the aquatic center to begin lap number two. After the second lap a right turn to the finish will end the day. The course is mostly pavement with a 1/4 mile stretch of each loop being run on hard packed dirt roads. Turns are marked with pavement arrows and directional signs
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes