Max Performance
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 53s
Overall Rank = 200/483
Age Group = F3539
Age Group Rank = 8/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:45 and headed out the door around 6:15. Mike was nice enough to grab a breakfast sandwich and latte at DD for me to have for breakfast!
Event warmup:

I think my warmup was cramming myself into my wetsuit! It's now been almost two years since I put on 5-10 lbs, so I'm going to have to seriously consider whether I think it's possible to actually lose it or if I should just cave in and buy a bigger wetsuit...
Swim
  • 22m 44s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm a terrible swimmer, which has been made abundantly clear in what is now my forth year of tris. Last year, I did this race without a wetsuit. While I didn't think my time would be spectacularly better, I thought if I wore one this year, that it would speed me up a bit. I was wrong! My time was only 1s different. Oh well, at least I wasn't last...
What would you do differently?:

Not be a terrible swimmer? My sighting was a bit off for this one too, although I didn't feel that it was the main factor in slowing me down by any stretch...
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This was fine. It was 26s slower than last year, but considering I had the wetsuit this year, that's not bad at all. It doesn't hurt that I get an awesome racking position since I do a lot of their races!
Bike
  • 37m 11s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 19.85 mile/hr
Comments:

As usual, this is where I made up the most time. I initially got caught up behind two guys who were swerving in front of me trying to get their feet into their shoes. Kind of a pet peeve of mine, since this isn't the first race where this has happened. Once I got past them though, things went well and I was able to average about 1 mph faster than last year, which was nice. Mike said he almost missed me, since he hadn't expected me in for another minute or two!

I could probably finally break 20 mph if I would just train more seriously for this race. The past two years, I've slacked off after the B2B in June and just haven't kept the volume up where I need it. Maybe next year!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Apparently this is the same time as last year. I decided to take the time to put on socks this year though, so it's nice to know that didn't slow me down. Even though they're entirely broken in, my shoes still give me blisters, so I figured I'd deal with the potential time loss to be more comfortable...
Run
  • 36m 1s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This was pretty mixed. It was definitely faster than last year, but I still didn't feel that I pushed myself as much as I could have. I knew my AG placing wouldn't be stellar with the longer swim, so I didn't have that pushing me and I didn't actually see anyone from my AG the entire time I was on the run either. I almost felt like I was just out for a training run for a lot of it, which made it difficult to push harder.

I'm glad I did better this year, but I'm definitely capable of running a sub 8 min pace for this distance, so I should work on that for next year...
Post race
Warm down:

We had to get going, so I just walked around to cool down a bit, then packed up and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim. I prefer sprints with 1/4M swims, but the bike course and longer run for this race make it worth doing regardless of the longer swim.

Last updated: 2014-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:44 | 880 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/24
Overall: 365/483
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: