World Triathlon Corporation
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 24s
Overall Rank = 626/2200
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 55/155
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 4:30am. I got about 4 hours of sleep the night before, which I was pleasantly surprised. I was anticipating my nerves would keep me up and was expecting to get maybe an hour or two of sleep. I got up and started get my breakfast ready. Breakfast consisted of microwave Oatmeal, a banana, a Clif bar and a bottle of Starbucks iced coffee.

I packed up all my gear that I had laid out the night before, hopped in the car and left the hotel. I drove to the Whirlpool tech campus where they had designated parking for athletes. They then had us get on shuttle buses that took us a mile up the road to Jean Klock Park where they dropped us off at transition.

I got to my bike that I checked the day before at around 6am, 45 minutes before transition closed. I laid out my gear and loaded nutrition onto the bike. I felt the tires on my bike and decided the pressure felt fine and I wouldn't need to go get air. I also decided to ditch the gear bag I was provided to check at the swim start. I made 3 trips to the porta potty before heading to the swim start as a result of hydrating the day before. I went through one last mental checklist to make sure everything was in it's correct place, grabbed my goggles, cap and wetsuit; got my body marked by a volunteer, and then headed down to the beach to the swim start.

Since the swim was a straight shot, the 1.2 mile stretch appeared a lot longer than I would of thought. The course also isn't protected by a breaker, so it is very susceptible to the effects of weather. In fact, in the 12 year history of this race the swim portion has been canceled twice due to poor surf conditions. I was very happy to see the water very calm as I walked along the course to the start. The air was cool that morning, say around 60 degrees. It wasn't frigid, but it made me regret not bringing a gear bag so I could of worn sleeves. The wet sand was also cold, so my shower sandals would've also been a wise thing to bring as well.
Event warmup:

First wave went off at 7am and continued to go off every 4 minutes. I was in wave 11 that went off at 7:40am, which I was happy about. This gave me a decent amount of time to warm up, but also didn't give me too much time where I would be sitting on the beach for over an hour.

I stretched and then put on my wetsuit. Water felt really nice, it was warmer than the air at the time. I mostly waded in the water but did swim out to one of the buoys they had in the warm up area. I got out of the water and saw the white swim caps designating my wave starting to line up in front of the chute. I joined them about 10 minutes till we were to go off. I was digging the music selection they had playing at the time and my adrenaline started to pump. We loaded into the chute and I positioned myself toward the front.
Swim
  • 38m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first beach start to a race, so I was anticipating a "machine gun run" type approach to the start, which it was. I resisted from diving in as long as I could. I waited till the water was about to my waist to make the plunge. I saw some guys dive prematurely and would be quickly passed.

It was white water and doggy paddle for about the first 100 meters until a little bit past the first buoy where we cut north. As always I tried to get myself to the outside to try to get away from chaos as quickly as possible. I got a foot to my right temple, but glad it didn't clock me in the nose. I choose to breath on my left side as a result of having bad left shoulder problems from playing football and hockey in high school. This allows me to take peaks if anyone is coming up on my left who could potentially whack my left arm and possibly separate my shoulder. Heading north and breathing left also had me looking away from the beach, the buoys and the other swimmers. I was just constantly looking across Lake Michigan what was probably (but not visible) Chicago.

I stayed along the outside close to where volunteers in kayaks and boats marked the outside boundary of the course. Water was opening up and I developed a good rhythm and stuck with it for about 10 minutes until I quickly checked my Garmin to see my progress. 1/3 of a mile in just over 9 minutes. Standard. Kept on swimming.

When I reached about half way through the course I started to swim back towards the inner side close to the buoys. It was around 8am. I started to notice waves were starting to pick up. They weren't awful, but swells were getting up to around 2 feet. Not gigantic, but I was getting a mouthful of water on occasion when I would look up to breath.

It's tough to say where I was in comparison to the rest of my wave. A lot of the faster guys got ahead of me in the beginning, but very few people passed me after that. I started passing struggling/novice swimmers in the last half mile from previous waves.

I got to the last buoy, cut back into the shore and swam the last 50 meters to the swim exit. I was surprised by the number of spectators that were lining the path back to transition. My watch indicated the course spanned 1.3 miles instead of 1.2.
What would you do differently?:

When it comes to swimming, biking and running I would say swimming comes as the easiest to me. After all it was the highest I ranked across the three disciplines that day.

The problem with my swimming is that I know exactly how I'm going to do every time I get into the water. 38 minutes was right around where I was expecting. Unless I hire a swim coach or research a solid swim specific training plan, there really isn't a way around improving my swimming. Swim isn't too critical to overall time, so it really isn't a big issue
Transition 1
  • 05m 56s
Comments:

Since the jog back to transition was on a beach I had a good amount of sand cling to my feet and legs when I got back to my bike. I was recommended to pack a bottle of water specific to splash off the sand, which I found to be a very good idea.

I haven't bothered to learn running mounts yet so I jogged to the start line in my bike shoes.

Content with my T1 time. Transition isn't too critical in iron distance races in comparison to shorter courses.

Maybe take some time to learn running mounts. I guess that'll be for the next race.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.47 mile/hr
Comments:

2 things I wanted to make sure when I was on the bike:

1) Eat. I never feel hungry during a race, but it's vital for later on during the day. My nutrition plan was 2 bonk breakers (1 at mile 5 and the other at mile 30). I also brought 4 gels that I spaced at miles 10, 20, 35 and 50. I ate a half banana at the second aid station. I also started taking salt pills after an hour on the bike and continued taking every 45 minutes until the end of the race. I only brought 1 water bottle that contained some electrolyte mix. I refilled the bottled at the 3rd aid station.

2) Don't push myself too hard. In an effort to try to save myself for the run, I aimed to keep my heart rate under 140 bpm. This is easier said than done. Being competitive with myself, I would continually be tempted to improve my 5 mile split time which contradicts my pacing goal. My watch indicated my average heart rate for the whole bike course came out to be 142 bpm which I'm ok with.

Winds were coming out of the north, so the first half of the course we were experiencing a headwind and the second half of the course got a tailwind. Glad it was this way instead of the other way around. Much more enjoyable getting faster speeds to close the bike portion of the race. Winds weren't too strong but I would say I averaged 18-19 mph going into the wind and about 20mph with a tailwind. My garmin indicated 19.4mph for the whole ride.

One thing I realized was how the hills really rolled throughout the course. There weren't any serious big hills to climb, but it was constant up and down throughout the ride. I guess this is noticeable for me since I do a majority of my training on the lake shore path in Chicago which has absolutely zero elevation. I just wasn't anticipating the amount of gear shifting I was going to be doing.

I'm happy with my bike time. I was expecting a time slightly longer than 3 hours, but I still think there's a lot of room for improvement. Might be time for a bike upgrade for me. I'm still on Canndondale roadie I got 3 years ago. Hell, I still don't even have aero bars yet. As I start to get more into the sport and hopefully bump up to a full 140.6 race sometime, throwing a few bills at a tri bike might be a worthwhile investment.

I did not hydrate properly when I was on the bike. The effects of this would spill over into my run. I drank a bottle and a half which is was about 36 ounces of fluid over the course of 3 hours. Not enough. I think I should of taken in at least twice that amount.
Transition 2
  • 05m 20s
Comments:

I was very surprised how my legs felt getting off the bike. Girl next to me fell over immediately after dismounting from what appeared to be the jelly legs.

Ran with my bike shoes on from bike exit to my transition area. Changed my socks (good idea), put on my running shoes, race belt and visor. Stopped by a porta potty and headed to the run start. I noticed my watch said I was 3:28 into the race, meaning I had 2 hours and 22 minutes to run a 1/2 marathon to beat my 6 hour goal time. This got me excited.
Run
  • 2h 06m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off the run feeling fine. Legs were a little numb, but I started the first mile doing a nice 7:45/mile pace. I've heard some bad stories of the first hill, but when I arrived at it I felt good enough to jog up it. I got to the top and pushed forward. I noticed most of the other guys on the course were walking.

About the time I got the first aid station it hit me like a ton of bricks. The "bonk" as they call it. Time seemed to slow down. The 1/2 marathon I was running quickly turned into a death march. My attitude changed for the worse and I quickly realized the next 12 miles were going to be brutal.

I walked through the first aid station and drank some water. I took a salt pill and started running again. It was around noon with the sun directly overhead. It was hot and it was humid. Throughout the morning there was some decent cloud cover, but the sky really started to open up in the afternoon. I assumed the course would have decent shade. I assumed wrong. Anytime I saw shade on the road/path I would get over to it. Other people had the same idea. Shade was a hot commodity.

What was aggravating to me was my actual ability to run. A typical run pace for me is 8:00/mile. I couldn't get myself to go faster than 9:00/mile even if I was trying to sprint. My legs just weren't having it. My heart rate was also sky rocketing to 175 bpm. This was getting me concerned about potentially overheating. When I would slow down to get my heart rate under control it would immediately shoot back up if I were to start running again. I couldn't go even a 1/4 mile without looking down at my watch to see how far I've gone since the last time I checked it.

I found out at a porta potty break that my hydration level was very bad. I walked through every aid station and drank 1 or 2 cups of water every time. I brought 3 gels with me on the run and I spaced them every 30 minutes. They provided temporary 10 minute energy boosts, but at the time felt more like relief. I forced myself to take them, but the sugary goo tasted unpleasant after baking in the sun on my race belt.

My attitude started to improve on the second lap of the whirlpool campus around mile 8 knowing I was relatively close to the end. I was chronically checking my watch but saw I had about an hour to run 5 miles if I wanted to finish the race in under 6 hours. That's easy to accomplish on any other day, but 5 hours into an Ironman it's a different story. When I walked up the last hill with 2 miles left I said to myself that I was only going to walk aid stations and will run the remainder of the way. I really didn't have a good sense of distance on the last mile. Every turn I made I was somehow expecting the final straight away to the finish line, nope. I was really struggling and the road seemed like it was never ending.

I finally turned into the final straight away and saw the finish line. There were tons of people lining the barriers, and I tried to look for my family. I picked up my pace and attempted to finish in a sprint. I didn't want to get passed by someone in the final 100 yards of the race.

Hydration. Though I drank properly on the run course and avoided the sloshy stomach, I should of pre hydrated on the bike.

I brought only 2 salt tablets on the run course. In hind sight I would've been better with 3.

I probably should of picked a conservative pace to stay at. I was running quick out of the start and really slowed down as I got into the run. I probably should of decided before to try to stay at like an 8:45/mile the whole time. Would've improved my time.

Ehh not a bad 13.1 mile run considering what I did before it. I guess I have high expectations and would've of liked to see that run time closer to my sole 1/2 marathon time.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my family right passed the finish line. They immediately wanted to play 20 questions that I had no bid to partake in. I wanted to just sit down and do nothing for 10 minutes. I went to the food tent pounded a chocolate milk, ate a banana and then a cookie. I sat in a folding chair for a few minutes until I felt decently functional.

I couldn't help but notice other athletes that seemed in decent condition. I guess this wasn't their first rodeo. They were walking around talking to the people that came to watch them like they were just out walking the dog or something. I felt dilapidated. Sitting in that chair staring at my feet was all I could do for a few minutes. Nothing left in the tank.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As I mentioned hydration was probably what hurt me the most.

I approached the run a little too aggressively and probably should of been more conservative in pacing myself.

Event comments:

I graded myself as follows: Swim: B, T1: B, Bike: A-, T2: B-, Run: C.

I beat my goal time of 6 hours, so I'm definitely happy about that.

Very well organized event. Ironman branded events have a reputation of being very well put together and this being my first lived up to my expectation.

Last updated: 2014-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 43/155
Overall: 474/2200
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Course starts at Tiscornia Park at the mouth of the St. Joseph River that separates St. Joseph and Benton Harbor. You swim out 50 yards to the first buoy, cut north, and do a straight 1.2 mile shot back to transition at Jean Klock Park. 18 buoys lined the stretch that designated 100 meter marks.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:32 | 56 miles | 19.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/155
Overall: 757/2200
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course starts heading north on highway 63 for about the first 10 miles. We headed east at Hagar Shores Road which turned into more back country roads. We rode through some farmland and passed a few vineyards. Course cut back north around mile 20 and started to circle back to highway 63 for the final 17 miles of the ride back to transition. Road conditions were mixed as we were on a total of maybe 10 or 11 different roads, but for the most part they were pretty good. There were 3 aid stations on the course that were separated every 12 miles. Course was well organized. Plenty of volunteers and Michigan state police blocking off intersections. A surprising amount of locals who lived along the course were posted up in lawn chairs too.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:06:58 | 13.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/155
Overall: 626/2200
Performance: Below average
Course: The course can be described as a "lollipop". You run north to the Whirpool campus, you do two laps of it and then you head back to the finish line at the beach. There were two significant hills with about 100 ft of elevation. The taller one was at the beginning and the second was in the Whirlpool campus that had to be climbed twice. There were aid stations about every mile and a half
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-14 3:41 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

2014-08-15 7:35 AM
in reply to: #5039612

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Steelhead
Great race report. You did very well. The hill at mile 5&9 was brutal.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

Started by jazz82482
Views: 2639 Posts: 5

2011-08-22 5:22 AM canadarn2001

Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

Started by uihockey2
Views: 1487 Posts: 1

2011-08-17 11:19 AM uihockey2

Ironman 70.3 Steelhead

Started by drclwalton
Views: 2079 Posts: 3

2011-08-16 8:33 AM yeats

2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon

Started by Ben_Tri-ing
Views: 2373 Posts: 2

2010-08-02 10:08 AM Marvarnett

2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon

Started by Silver_wlf
Views: 2788 Posts: 6

2010-08-06 1:07 PM Techdiver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.