Other Resources The Political Joe » "In Wake of Clashes, Calls to Demilitarize Police" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-08-15 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: "In Wake of Clashes, Calls to Demilitarize Police"
From today's NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/us/ferguson-missouri-in-wake-of-c...

I'm curious where people stand on this issue, because this issue of overly agrressive policing as well as the degree to which municipal law enforcement(and some state and federal government agents that one doesn't generally associate with law-enforcement) are becoming increasingly heavily armed, seems to cut across a few different political viewpoints.

2014-08-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Subject: RE: "In Wake of Clashes, Calls to Demilitarize Police"
here's a crazy idea....don't f*@k with the police. you don't f*@k with the police and they don't need to buy military gear. pretty simple if you ask me. we have a society that is eager to "fight the power", and the "power" has the ability to be much more prepared for the "fight". that needs to be realized. at some point people will realize the US has a trust issue with law enforcement and the judicial system that governs them both. does the law enforcement industry need to be the bigger person here and take steps to rebuild trust, yes...definitely. does the pubilc have accountabilty to stop being a bunch of hoolagans eager to riot and burn everything, yes...definitely. demilitarizing the police doesn't do a thing to help that.

2014-08-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by antlimon166

here's a crazy idea....don't f*@k with the police. you don't f*@k with the police and they don't need to buy military gear. pretty simple if you ask me. we have a society that is eager to "fight the power", and the "power" has the ability to be much more prepared for the "fight". that needs to be realized. at some point people will realize the US has a trust issue with law enforcement and the judicial system that governs them both. does the law enforcement industry need to be the bigger person here and take steps to rebuild trust, yes...definitely. does the pubilc have accountabilty to stop being a bunch of hoolagans eager to riot and burn everything, yes...definitely. demilitarizing the police doesn't do a thing to help that.

How do you think they should go about rebuilding trust?
2014-08-15 9:35 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by antlimon166 here's a crazy idea....don't f*@k with the police. you don't f*@k with the police and they don't need to buy military gear. pretty simple if you ask me. we have a society that is eager to "fight the power", and the "power" has the ability to be much more prepared for the "fight". that needs to be realized. at some point people will realize the US has a trust issue with law enforcement and the judicial system that governs them both. does the law enforcement industry need to be the bigger person here and take steps to rebuild trust, yes...definitely. does the pubilc have accountabilty to stop being a bunch of hoolagans eager to riot and burn everything, yes...definitely. demilitarizing the police doesn't do a thing to help that.

Who says they need to?  Who says there is no trust?  I have never felt a lack of trust by the overwhelming majority of people. 

2014-08-16 6:20 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by antlimon166 here's a crazy idea....don't f*@k with the police. you don't f*@k with the police and they don't need to buy military gear. pretty simple if you ask me. we have a society that is eager to "fight the power", and the "power" has the ability to be much more prepared for the "fight". that needs to be realized. at some point people will realize the US has a trust issue with law enforcement and the judicial system that governs them both. does the law enforcement industry need to be the bigger person here and take steps to rebuild trust, yes...definitely. does the pubilc have accountabilty to stop being a bunch of hoolagans eager to riot and burn everything, yes...definitely. demilitarizing the police doesn't do a thing to help that.

Who says they need to?  Who says there is no trust?  I have never felt a lack of trust by the overwhelming majority of people. 

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ x2

2014-08-16 1:35 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by jeffnboise

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ x2

!!!

2014-08-17 12:51 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I'm of two minds here...

Firstly, demilitarizing the police could cause them to be less armed than some of the criminals they pursue. Yes, I know that's most likely a very small number. So for this reason, yes, absolutely, I want a properly armed and trained police force.

however, I myself was a... recipient... of police bullying tactics. I had just moved back to eastern Arkansas. The reason I was given for being pulled over was that I didn't use a turn signal. I know that it was BS, because I saw the officer sitting there and I made a point to use it. It also doesn't take 4 squad cars to pull someone over for not using a signal. I got the whole line of questions about who I was, what was I doing there, etc. They brought in the drug dog and went over the exterior of my truck, yada, yada, yada... They even asked me if I was on anything, to which I gave my usual answer: "Keith Richards could give me a blood transfusion and I'd still pee clean". At least I got a smile for that one... What they didn't know is that I have a relative in the dept... hehehe I was pulled over for driving a beat up blazer (bought it with front end wrecked with plans to have fun building it up), with Oklahoma plates in a "nicer" neighborhood. I was told they were confused when I got out with a shirt & tie on. I was coming back from an interview and heading to pick up my daughter.

There really needs to be a middle ground, but as a country we're so polarized on everything, I'm not surprised things never seem to get done.
2014-08-17 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
As long as regular people are allowed to buy military class weapons because of the second amendment, the police needs to equally as equipped.
As long as I can get an AR15, or an AK or Uzi on eBay or at the next gun show, there has to be a deterrent to using them for whatever.
Whatever went down in ferguson is a complete tragedy. Not just for everyone, but especially for the looting public.
I do not fault the police for showing up looking like they were loaded for bear.
2014-08-17 6:34 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Pro

Originally posted by louamerica As long as regular people are allowed to buy military class weapons because of the second amendment, the police needs to equally as equipped. As long as I can get an AR15, or an AK or Uzi on eBay or at the next gun show, there has to be a deterrent to using them for whatever. Whatever went down in ferguson is a complete tragedy. Not just for everyone, but especially for the looting public. I do not fault the police for showing up looking like they were loaded for bear.

You wold REALLY not fault them if you knew what they were dealing with.  The media reporting is a joke.  Now THAT'S an entity to distrust.

2014-08-18 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by antlimon166

The poster above said he thinks that "The Us has a trust issue with law enforcement" and that they need "to take steps to rebuild the trust". It's kind of a vanilla statement, and I'm wondering what kinds of steps he's talking about.

Personally, I don't think, overall, that there is a trust issue with local law enforcement. I think in most parts of the country, people see LE as part of their community, as oppsed to part of the "government".

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2014-08-18 8:41 AM
2014-08-18 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I guess what I'm getting at, with the question, is that I know that we've had a couple of threads about the over-militarization of the government, where branches like the Department of Education and Fish and Wildlife are outfitting enforcement teams with tactical gear and weapons, and that it was seen by some on the more conservative/libertarian side as being overkill and symptomatic of a government seeking to exercise more and more control over the people.

I'm not really aware, LB, of what's really going on, so if there's more to the story than what's being reported, I'd like to know what it is. On the face of it, it seems unnecessarily provocative to roll out armored vehicles and at least what appeared to be sharpshooters for a peaceful demonstration. The article I posted said that the war on drugs and especially 9/11 have led to many smaller municipal police departments outfitting themselves with more military style hardware than they've had in the past, which the federal government has been only to happy to provide. That seems, from a libertarian/conservative, "small government" POV, to be a bad thing.

What I'm responding to is what seems to be a contradiction between an objection to overly militarized law enforcement in some cases, while being more or less ok with it in others. In the Cliven Bundy incident, for example, even though many of the demonstrators were not only armed, but made clear their intention to fight LE, there was, I thought, a critcism of the government for inflaming the situation by bringing heavily armed LE personnel into it. In Ferguson, although the protestors are mostly peaceful (at least based on what we're being shown), and even those that are violent are not heavily armed, there doesn't seem to be the same kinds of objection to the police presence. Bundy and the demonstrators are patriots exercising their constitutional rights, the narrative seems to go, while the Ferguson protestors, are hooligans.

2014-08-18 10:00 AM
in reply to: louamerica

Originally posted by louamerica

As long as regular people are allowed to buy military class weapons because of the second amendment, the police needs to equally as equipped.
As long as I can get an AR15, or an AK or Uzi on eBay or at the next gun show, there has to be a deterrent to using them for whatever.
Whatever went down in ferguson is a complete tragedy. Not just for everyone, but especially for the looting public.
I do not fault the police for showing up looking like they were loaded for bear.

Ebay is ruled by a queen from Kalifornia...you can't buy guns on Ebay, let me know if you see any good deals on a Uzi, I still need one of those
2014-08-18 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I can see both sides of the argument, not sure what the "answer" is.

1. You can't really fault the cops too much, if the feds called me up and asked me if I wanted a machine gun for next to zero cost to me I would likely say "where do we meet?!?!" All that wonderful trillions of spending we did in Iraq is now causing issues here with surplus stuff going to local cops. It has even been a big deal here in podunk Idaho. The town I grew up in that boasts a whopping 35k people has an MRAP now and they use it to serve search warrants for marijuana. Little out of hand IMO but they got it for free and it is in the garage so why not use it?

ETA: forgot the story from Nampa. Lady calls the PD, says someone in the house is contemplating suicide and she wants someone to help talk him out of it. The Nampa PD send in the SWAT team in full military garb and aboard their shiny new MRAP. They lay siege to the house and the start yelling at the guy through a bullhorn while aiming automatic weapons at him, so of course he offs himself.

Another story from Idaho. http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/03/27/idaho-family-terrorized-midnight-paramilitary-raid/

2. Do the cops really need this stuff? On one hand I can see why they might want it. I don't have to be the guy to go round up a gang leader that is known to have decent weaponry, if I was that guy I likely wouldn't mind being inside an MRAP.

On the other hand I can see the argument against them having it. Kinda goes along the argument against having a standing army that our forefathers warned about. Between the Dep of Homeland Security, the FBI, the National Guard and now local PD's (heck even the dept of education and IRS) we have one heck of a standing army, and now they are being equipped just like an army. I think a great argument against them being equipped this way is the tendency for police and other departments to do things first and then sort out the legal details later. Take the Boston bombing, they went door to door forcing entry, forcing people out of their homes at gun point, illegally searching, etc. looking for one guy. I would argue that a lot of it was not legal and was a civil rights violation, but in the interest of "safety" they did it anyway and then the legal issue is sorted out later. A win in court for the ACLU doesn't do much to help the family who is being forced out if their home by guys in full battle gear with AR's pointed at their heads. 

There are many PD's who have a reputation for abuse of power and don't hold much trust from their communities, giving these PD's more firepower is not in the best interest of the community for a lot of people. 

My last point is more of a question to those in the know. LB and others post time and time again that the crime rate has literally plummeted from what it was in the 70's 80's and even the 90's. Violent crime is down across the board. So why is it that back in the day when violent crime was so high were the cops able to do their jobs without military gear, now that crime is down they need tanks and bazookas? 

I think I would rather leave the military equipment to the National Guard and keep police as lightly armed public servants, when the situation calls for it, call up the National Guard, otherwise the police with their .40's and shotguns can handle things.

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-08-18 12:22 PM
2014-08-18 12:20 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Aaron - THIS is what started PD's acquiring more firepower.  I was in my 10th year then and remember well the wave that swept across the country's Police Departments in the name of being able to defend against that type of weaponry/armor. Once that ball started rolling, the arms race was on....nearly 20 years later, and here we are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

2014-08-18 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

That is a good case where an MRAP would have been useful. 

I guess I still see two issues. 

1. Smaller towns likely don't need this sort of firepower (Idaho is not LA) but the feds are literally giving it away for free. Nampa got an MRAP and only had to pay for the gas to get it here from Washington.

2. Perhaps the solution is better oversight on when the equipment is used. No knock raids for suspected marijuana possession does not seem like an appropriate use of SWAT or their equipment. The Nampa police chief used the excuse that pretty much every Idaho household has a gun in it so they have to roll heavy and hard whenever they feel like it. 

Question for you then LB, would it be plausible to reduce Police back to what they had at the Hollywood rampage and then just partner better with the National Guard for the rare occurrence like the shooting you posted? It is not every day heavily armed and armored dudes do what they did in Hollywood, would it not be possible for National Guard to respond to something like that in a quick manner when needed or are things not structured that way and would it be impossible to structure them that way?

2014-08-18 12:39 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

That is a good case where an MRAP would have been useful. 

I guess I still see two issues. 

1. Smaller towns likely don't need this sort of firepower (Idaho is not LA) but the feds are literally giving it away for free. Nampa got an MRAP and only had to pay for the gas to get it here from Washington.

2. Perhaps the solution is better oversight on when the equipment is used. No knock raids for suspected marijuana possession does not seem like an appropriate use of SWAT or their equipment. The Nampa police chief used the excuse that pretty much every Idaho household has a gun in it so they have to roll heavy and hard whenever they feel like it. 

Question for you then LB, would it be plausible to reduce Police back to what they had at the Hollywood rampage and then just partner better with the National Guard for the rare occurrence like the shooting you posted? It is not every day heavily armed and armored dudes do what they did in Hollywood, would it not be possible for National Guard to respond to something like that in a quick manner when needed or are things not structured that way and would it be impossible to structure them that way?

I don't know.  Part of why Police Departments are given this type of equipment is a simple matter of maintenance.  It's certainly possible in today's world of terrorism that we would one day have to defend our country the way some countries in Europe do now.....and we will need that equipment.  It would be stupid to let it sit and go to rusted heaps.

I don't think you could ever structure the National Guard to be able to respond quickly to an incident involving heavily armed subjects.  You wold have to pay them full time, they would have to be already deployed, and then we really ARE talking about a standing Army policing the ocuntry, right?

As for the everyday occurence of heavily armed dudes.....unfortunately, today, MANY criminals are armed with those types of weapons.  Remember, that was nearly 20 years ago....those weapons are pretty common now.  I don't want to be outgunned trying to do my job.  I'm OK with equal, I'm not OK with having less.

I agree with many of your other points.  No-knock warrants for marijuana as an example......dumb.   Barging into homes in Boston and searching them in the name of safety.....illegal as far as I'm concerned.

2014-08-18 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

The cops have F-15s, tanks, grenades and rocket launchers?

They are a long way from the military.

2014-08-18 1:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pga_mike

F-15's no, choppers equipped with machine guns, yes. Taniks, bascially yes.  Grenades, yes.  Rockets, not yet.  

The thing is, we might be a long way from OUR military.  But I wonder how the nation's police departments and officers, collectively,  stand up to other armies of the world.  I think we'd all be surprised. (that's not a comment on whether it's right or wrong.....just an observation)

Edited by Left Brain 2014-08-18 1:02 PM
2014-08-18 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I thought the National Guard idea might be a bit far fetched. To be honest I don't know much about how the National Guard works, other than they will buy me a BMW and pay for my education for one weekend a month and two weeks per year!

Perhaps limiting the military equipment to Sheriff departments could be a workable solution. Sheriff's have to answer to the voters whereas Police chiefs do not. I know around here the Sheriff has a much better rep than the city PD's do.

That would cut down on using the MRAP for situations where it is not needed if they PD had to call up the Sheriff to request the vehicle. Sounds better than... "hey, we got a call, you wanna take the Crown Vics or should we fire up the tank?!?"  

2014-08-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by pga_mike

I hate Twitter and don't have any idea as to the validity of this, but here it is anyway.

https://storify.com/AthertonKD/veterans-on-ferguson

Seems to me that it is usually the "boots on the ground" that get things done these days and from the pics I have seen of some police departments, yes, they are just as well equipped as the boots on the ground overseas. 

2014-08-18 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5039798

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Perhaps I over generalized the statement about "the US has a trust issue..." sure, us triathletes in middle to upper class suburbia feel like LE is part of the community but there are a lot of communities out there in most major cities that have generational (cultural) problems with LE. The recent incident incident is a perfect example. A white cop shoots a minority and the first thing those with trust issues do is protest, whether they know the facts or not....LE is guilty until proven innocent. A cop shoots someone in a middle to upper class area, it doesn't matter what race either the LE officer or the criminal is....people just think someone did something stupid enough to get shot by the police. People that riot and loot tend to fall in the first category. Maybe I watch too much TV, though.

The question of what needs to be done to restore trust for those people/areas that view LE as something that isn't there to protect/serve and have the communities back like most people do in areas where your typical triathlete lives? Don't know. But all I can say is that I think the side with the authority has the obligation to initiate the change.

Sorry, couldn't reply to the proper comment from the phone app.

2014-08-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Pro

Originally posted by antlimon166 Perhaps I over generalized the statement about "the US has a trust issue..." sure, us triathletes in middle to upper class suburbia feel like LE is part of the community but there are a lot of communities out there in most major cities that have generational (cultural) problems with LE. The recent incident incident is a perfect example. A white cop shoots a minority and the first thing those with trust issues do is protest, whether they know the facts or not....LE is guilty until proven innocent. A cop shoots someone in a middle to upper class area, it doesn't matter what race either the LE officer or the criminal is....people just think someone did something stupid enough to get shot by the police. People that riot and loot tend to fall in the first category. Maybe I watch too much TV, though. The question of what needs to be done to restore trust for those people/areas that view LE as something that isn't there to protect/serve and have the communities back like most people do in areas where your typical triathlete lives? Don't know. But all I can say is that I think the side with the authority has the obligation to initiate the change. Sorry, couldn't reply to the proper comment from the phone app.

Do NOT underestimate the role of the media in this and their ability to stir the masses.

The area I work in has had major racial divides over the last 10 years.  Nealry half our city council was gunned down in one event, another officer killed in an area of public housing, etc.  In the midst of some of that biggest strife (and we were in the news almost daily for nearly a year), we shot a man in a vehicle at the end of a pursuit because he was gunning the engine in a front yard and our officers feared for their lives.  Every news channel called to see what was going on.  NONE showed up.  Two of the five stations went so far as to openly ask the question, "is the suspect white or black?"

2014-08-18 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by louamerica As long as regular people are allowed to buy military class weapons because of the second amendment, the police needs to equally as equipped. As long as I can get an AR15, or an AK or Uzi on eBay or at the next gun show, there has to be a deterrent to using them for whatever. Whatever went down in ferguson is a complete tragedy. Not just for everyone, but especially for the looting public. I do not fault the police for showing up looking like they were loaded for bear.

You wold REALLY not fault them if you knew what they were dealing with.  The media reporting is a joke.  Now THAT'S an entity to distrust.

Yep, I was going to bring up the North Hollywood shooting as you did below. I have no problem with our police arming and protecting themselves above and beyond  the level of firepower they're up against.

2014-08-18 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
LB was the suspect white or black? I assume from your posts in this thread and the fact that the media did not show up, the suspect was white. That is a very interesting/sad commentary on our media. I like your perspective on these issues since you are in the trenches.

Thanks for what you do.
2014-08-18 3:13 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Its Only Money LB was the suspect white or black? I assume from your posts in this thread and the fact that the media did not show up, the suspect was white. That is a very interesting/sad commentary on our media. I like your perspective on these issues since you are in the trenches. Thanks for what you do.

He was white....and not worthy of a story. (in fairness, on many levels....human garbage)

Admittedly, I fall prey to the same stupidity.  When I got the call that morning that my guys had shot someone after a car chase my first question was whether they were white or black.  It's an unfortunate reality that what I will have to deal with in the aftermath is very closely tied to race when it comes to use-of-force issues. 

The funny thing is, we don't care at all what color you are......we just hate azzholes. The problem part is, nobody cares if we kill a white person.....it's not news.  I wish I wasn't so cycnical about this issue, but I've lived it many times.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-08-18 3:14 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » "In Wake of Clashes, Calls to Demilitarize Police" Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
As a sports-parent, you can be a good role model for athleticism and healthful food choices. What can you do to regain control without becoming the food police?