General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DC Nations Tri - Logistics and Course Chat! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-18 11:26 AM

User image

, District of Columbia
Subject: DC Nations Tri - Logistics and Course Chat!
So this race is coming up, and it will be my first time on the course!

For those that have done this race in the past, can somone please provide hints on parking options for local folks on race day? I'm worried that the designated areas near transition will be full, and need some alternatives.

Swim start seems unique to me. Heard stories of standing in line for long time, as swimmers start the race in constant smaller waves, as opposed to age group starts. If so, how long do folks normally wait?

I've heard some negative feedback on the bike course, and was wondering if anyone knows if the 2014 has addressed issues from the past. Are there no passing zones, and are there any safety issues with respect to biker volume in certain sections?

Thanks, and looking forward to any feedback!

2014-08-18 11:43 AM
in reply to: ranman619

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: DC Nations Tri - Logistics and Course Chat!
can't speak for 2014, but the bike course (specifically the no passing zones) from last year are THE reason I won't be there this year.

I waited in line for my swim start for 2.5 hours maybe? Of course, whoever the genious was that started the 25-29 men behind 60-64 females.... well... yea. I actually like the TT swim start, even though there is a wait if you are in a later wave. Much less contact, but hard to race the people in your AG.
2014-08-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: pburnett

User image

, District of Columbia
thanks for the input! Are you serious? 2.5 hour wait? I'm assuming (or at least hoping) you started that 2.5 our clock from the moment you arrived transition, as opposed to when transition closes.

So for your bike, how far off from your expected time were you?
2014-08-18 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I didn't race last year, but I did in 2012, and am signed up for this year. I had no problems with the bike course in 2012, but it sounds like it was a nightmare in 2013 with the changed course and no-pass zones. I wonder if they will change it at all...my bike split here in 2012 remains my fastest Oly bike split ever, despite getting to be a stronger cyclist these past few years. It used to be a really fast course.

I waited a really, really long time to start the swim when I did the race (25-29F at that point). Two hours at least from when transition closed. That was definitely my least favorite part of the day.
2014-08-18 3:21 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Also, parking will be a nightmare. I wouldn't even try to park close to West Potomac Park. I'd do street parking in Foggy Bottom and just have a long walk to the start, or park near the host hotel and take the shuttle. Not sure where you're located. Two years ago I just walked the 1.5 miles from my house in West End and rode home post-race.
2014-08-19 12:53 PM

User image

, District of Columbia
Awesome, thank you for the input. I will be driving in from Rockville MD early in the morning, so I will look into Foggy Bottom per your recommendation. Thanks for also clearing up my confusion about the swim wait times. Are there porta potties around the wait area? Is it one long line, or do they at least seperate by age groups? I'm assuming most of my time will be sitting on the grass, waiting for my group to be called up.

2014-08-19 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by meggfishy

I didn't race last year, but I did in 2012, and am signed up for this year. I had no problems with the bike course in 2012, but it sounds like it was a nightmare in 2013 with the changed course and no-pass zones. I wonder if they will change it at all...my bike split here in 2012 remains my fastest Oly bike split ever, despite getting to be a stronger cyclist these past few years. It used to be a really fast course.

I waited a really, really long time to start the swim when I did the race (25-29F at that point). Two hours at least from when transition closed. That was definitely my least favorite part of the day.

My wife and I raced in 2012 and I thought the race was OK. I think big city races are really hard logistically to put on so if you are ok with that going in, you should be fine. The bike course in 2012 was fine, crowded but fine. I heard that they changed it in 2013 and it was miserable. The run was great, I liked it a lot along the water with clearly marked aid stations and lots of people around. The finish line left a lot to be desired. To be honest, one of the reasons we signed up was they talked about post race food sponsored by Qdoba and the Band "Kristen & the Noise" playing at the "post race party" Well come to find out there was no Qdoba or Kristen & the noise because they never changed the information on the website from the 2011 race. Also, not really much of a post race atmosphere at all which was a little dissapointing considering the size of the race and its location.

Parking for us wasn't an issue. We talked with a volunteer who told us to park on the street (free on sundays or whatever race day was) next to the national mall area and walk over. I think it was a half mile walk but after the race we loaded up the car and drove away no issues and no traffic. Some people who parked at the lot had to wait until 1pm to get out when they opened the road up again.

Overall the race was good. I don't think I got my moneys worth from the race so I probably won't do it again but it wasn't a bad experience at all.
2014-08-19 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Originally posted by ranman619

Awesome, thank you for the input. I will be driving in from Rockville MD early in the morning, so I will look into Foggy Bottom per your recommendation. Thanks for also clearing up my confusion about the swim wait times. Are there porta potties around the wait area? Is it one long line, or do they at least seperate by age groups? I'm assuming most of my time will be sitting on the grass, waiting for my group to be called up.

Yes to porta potties. You can just hang out wherever near the start and they call up which age group should come line up next. I hung out with my husband until they called up my AG, then you kind of shuffle in a bunch out to the dock and you jump off in groups of six or so.

I know there's metered street parking on 23rd between maybe E and Constitution -- you could then just walk straight down 23rd to the transition area and that would be pretty close. The Foggy Bottom metro stop is about a mile from transition, so any street parking in the neighborhoods around there would be probably close enough and you wouldn't be stuck waiting for the course to clear to get out. (Full disclosure -- I don't own a car so I'm not a super frequent parker, but I've lived in West End for eight years.)

Edited by meggfishy 2014-08-19 2:05 PM
2014-08-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

, District of Columbia
Hey, thanks so much for the reply! The more feedback I get, it seems as this race is more of a "do it for the experience" event as opposed to trying to PR. We just moved to the DC area two years ago, and I decided to do this as my "local" race this year. Maybe I will be one and done, depending on the logistical experience and value for my registration dollars. A good friend of mine has done the NYC Tri a few times, and also said the logistics were pretty tough (especially for his family, who came out to watch). Appreciate your point of having the right mindset going in.

Will let you know how things pan out this year.
2014-08-20 8:51 AM

User image

, District of Columbia
Awesome parking recommendations! I really appreciate the hints; especially from you long time locals! I'm convinced to stay away from the designated area near transition, and just scope out my alternatives the day before after bike racking and packet pick up.
2014-08-20 9:32 AM

User image

Hey, thanks so much for the reply! The more feedback I get, it seems as this race is more of a "do it for the experience" event as opposed to trying to PR. We just moved to the DC area two years ago, and I decided to do this as my "local" race this year. Maybe I will be one and done, depending on the logistical experience and value for my registration dollars. A good friend of mine has done the NYC Tri a few times, and also said the logistics were pretty tough (especially for his family, who came out to watch). Appreciate your point of having the right mindset going in.

Will let you know how things pan out this year.

if you are looking for "local" races check out set-up events - they have both the Virginia Triathlon series and the Maryland Triathlon series - both of which have many races in the vicinity of DC (you could probably hit abotu 10 within about an hour with a variety of distances)

2014-08-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by austhokie
Originally posted by ranman619 Hey, thanks so much for the reply! The more feedback I get, it seems as this race is more of a "do it for the experience" event as opposed to trying to PR. We just moved to the DC area two years ago, and I decided to do this as my "local" race this year. Maybe I will be one and done, depending on the logistical experience and value for my registration dollars. A good friend of mine has done the NYC Tri a few times, and also said the logistics were pretty tough (especially for his family, who came out to watch). Appreciate your point of having the right mindset going in. Will let you know how things pan out this year.
if you are looking for "local" races check out set-up events - they have both the Virginia Triathlon series and the Maryland Triathlon series - both of which have many races in the vicinity of DC (you could probably hit abotu 10 within about an hour with a variety of distances)

Totally agree on the Setup races.  I do a few of them every season.. always well produced, always easy logistically, reasonably priced, smaller, and usually in pretty nice venues.

As for Nations, I am doing it this year for the first time (I've lived here for 20+ years, and been doing tri for 4 years).  This will likely be the only time I do it and am only doing so because my wife has started tri, and she wants to do the race so I figured I have to do the Saturday check in and be at the race butt-crack-early on Sunday for her anyway, so I may as well race also.  Otherwise, I'd stay away... too expensive, too crowded, to logistically challenging, and I'm really not a fan of swimming in the Potomac.

2014-08-20 7:02 PM
in reply to: Sous

I did the Nation's last year, and it was my first triathlon. I had an incredibly positive experience. The Potomac was fine to swim in (though I am a local and have swum in it plenty), the bike course didn't bother me, and the run was good. I thought for a large race it was extremely well organized--tons of volunteers, ample aid stations, clear markers and so forth. I can't imagine the logistics of putting a race on in a major city, let alone one with our unique security concerns, and this is one of the largest Olympics in the country I understand. The location is great; shows off a great city well, and I thought the vibe at the expo, during bike racking and post race was really fun and positive.

Having done several smaller races since, I understand why people skip it, and I see the benefits of more intimate races. I still think it is a great race, however, and I think that for a first timer, it is a great intro to the sport. It got me hooked, and I am not sure what better endorsement there is than that.

I parked in the Reagan building on 14th which I am likely to do again. It was a hike around the Washington Monument, but it was a nice garage and leaving after the race was easy since you're kind of on the other side of things over there. However, we were headed back to VA. There was a lot of other racers parked there as well.

Leaving the race and walking past the WWII memorial, the White House, the Washington Monument and taking in the Capitol with medal in hand was pretty cool. It more than made up for any delay at the swim start, tricky turns on the bike and so forth.
2014-08-25 8:58 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

, District of Columbia
Thanks for the info on SETUP! I did one race last year with them (Luray Tri), and had a blast. I didnt realize they hosted so many races, so I will probably do more of them next year. My closest "local" race is the Columbia Tri, but wasn't able to commit on time due to swap in race organizers.

How has the water temps in the Potomac been in years past? This summer has been noticably cooler, so do any of you think it will be wetsuit legal?
2014-09-13 2:14 PM

User image

, District of Columbia
How did everyone do? I'm sure we were all upset about the swim cancellation, but sewage spills from the night before is no joke. Bike course was not that bad, with a few no passing zones due to space issues. Bike leg was 1:12:08 and my run was 52:28. Still, we all felt "incomplete" at the end of the day. Thanks again for the parking recommendation, as I was able to find a good spot right north of Transition on 23rd. A bunch of athletes parked there, and it was a nice walk through the Lincoln Mem on the way to Transition.

Good times. Will most likely repeat this race to get the swim experience in next year. Here's hoping to no cancellations!
2014-09-13 2:19 PM

User image

, District of Columbia
How did everyone do? I'm sure we were all upset about the swim cancellation, but sewage spills from the night before is no joke. Bike course was not that bad, with a few no passing zones due to space issues. Bike leg was 1:12:08 and my run was 52:28. Still, we all felt "incomplete" at the end of the day. Thanks again for the parking recommendation, as I was able to find a good spot right north of Transition on 23rd. A bunch of athletes parked there, and it was a nice walk through the Lincoln Mem on the way to Transition.

Good times. Will most likely repeat this race to get the swim experience in next year. Here's hoping to no cancellations!

2014-09-15 12:38 PM

I raced it this year and was disappointed not to be able to swim. I had been swim focused more than ever and hoped to see some good improvements. I was happy with my times, 1:09:04 and 49:11, but the bike course was horribly crowded. When I came around for the second loop, I thought I was part of a parade. Bikes were 4, 5, even 6 wide in many areas. If they can remove the 2 loop bike section, then I may try this race again in the future.

It took about 1 1/2 hours from transition close until I started. I was in wave 22. Got a little chilly standing in the corral waiting on our turn to start.
2014-09-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

DC

I killed the swim! I swam so fast I came out dry!

1:06 bike (next year, will use deep wheels & aero helmet).
45 run.

You can always play w/the stats to make your time sound great. Out of all olympic participants, I placed in the 11th percentile. (Again, I don't know what that means.)

I regret to admit that I didn't always follow the "no passing" rule. Those 20-some year olds are waaaay too slow for me to follow.

Edited by Porfirio 2014-09-16 9:54 AM
2014-09-29 9:24 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

, District of Columbia
Nice job with your times, folks! Agree with you on the second loop. The split was confusing the first time for me, as we had ushers yelling, the signs came up pretty quick, while trying to avoid the bikers around me floundering on which exit to take. For what it's worth, the bike course was good considering this was a major metropolitan based race. I saw how bad the traffic back ups where for our race, so I'm pretty impressed we had access to some major roads. I especially appreciated the out/back over the 14th street bridge (and nice headwinds).

That was my last race of the season, and I'm still annoyed that I couldn't swim it out. See you guys next year, I guess!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DC Nations Tri - Logistics and Course Chat! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nations Tri in DC Sept. 9th who's in, and how is it?

Started by Danbones
Views: 892 Posts: 9

2012-06-17 9:05 AM dmbfan4life20

Nations Tri- Olympic Tri , Washington D.C.

Started by Brian001
Views: 832 Posts: 9

2012-02-16 10:26 AM dmbfan4life20

Nations Triathlon, DC on 9/11/11, anyone signing up?

Started by trinado
Views: 3164 Posts: 20

2011-02-02 5:39 PM tjh

Nations Tri in DC

Started by zeroviz
Views: 542 Posts: 2

2009-09-15 7:26 PM dalessit

Nation's Tri in DC

Started by zeroviz
Views: 1305 Posts: 16

2009-04-23 12:51 PM dalessit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2011
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!