World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 30m 14s
Overall Rank = 1345/1784
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 198/239
Pre-race routine:

Camped at Gunstock. arrived late on friday night. Had to set up camp real quick before it got dark. did not go shopping that night. we went the next day. which pushed my meals back and some of the other things back as well.

My son ran in the make a wish foundation kids fun run. the smile on his face after finishing looking at his medal was priceless.

Decided to drive down and be able to relax at the site, instead of taking shuttle buses.

woke up at 3;45 Breakfast was a bagel with peanut butter, and a terrible cup of coffee. had a hard time eating bagel. not sure if it was the time of day or my stomach.

Got to site around 4:50. Sat in car and listened to music and rested for a bit. Got out of car and used port a potty. No lines. Got body marked, then went to my car and got my stuff and headed back to transition.

Set up my area a little slower than usual. Not sure what happened. got a little too involved in the chit chat around me. Borrowed, sunscreen and baby powder for my shoes.

put a half a tab of nuun in my nathan water bottle. put another whole tab in the pouch for later in the run.

put one tab in the rest of my water bottle. sipped on that while setting up.
Event warmup:

a Quick run and then realized I had 15 minutes before transition closed. I also had to use the port a potty again. third time already. I went into transition. grabbed my swim stuff, powerbar wafer, and my water bottle and went to wait in line. glad i did. race had already started while i was in line.

ate my power bar and drank water with nuun.

I went to swim start and swam a bit. finished up right as the wave in front was called to the start.

while waiting for my wave starting gun, i looked at the time and noticed the race started 4 min. late. I was supposed to go off at 7;34, we went at 7:38. they didn't tell me, and i didn't think to ask.
Swim
  • 39m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

i started out to the far left of the start wave. It was very shallow for the first 25 yards or so. ran through the water. then dove in and swam. started swimming ok.

hit the first lifegaurd and he's banging on his kayak saying, can't go left. get as close as you can to the buoy. i had to stop and wait and go around him. then continued on.

i never felt i was pushing myself. i had to stop a few times due to the swim never really clearing out till the homestretch. some slower swimmers from other waves, that i had to go around. I swam almost exactly the pace i swam in training. while this was slower than i know i can go. i feel good as i only got back in the pool in the middle of may.

had no problems sighting or with navigation except for the couple of times i decidecided to draft off of a swimmer. I found i would swim straight and they wouldn't. I stopped drafting and just swam as i normally do.

finally found clear water and realized i had to pee. i tried to go, but just couldn't. i tried doing the breast stroke. then i rembembered there were port a potties right on the way to my spot in T1. so i just continued swimming and would go in transition. that probably cost me a minute total.
What would you do differently?:

not start swimming until May. Way too long of an offseason. I can probably not bike or run. but I should swim at least two times a week during the winter.

either learn to pee while in freestyle or just go in transition.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

used the wet suit strippers and headed to the port a pottie. realized i forgot to hit my lap button on my garmin. did it there.

dropped my wetsuit, put on my garmin on my bike, shoes, race belt, clif shots in my jersey, glasses, and helmet. looked down and made sure i had everything.

nothing. good transition. although, my garmin holder was at an odd angle, so had a little bit of difficulty clipping it in. maybe practice clipping in from different angles?

had a little difficulty clipping in, but nothing drastic
Bike
  • 3h 10m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.61 mile/hr
Comments:

realized about a 1/4 mile in, i didn't hit the lap button before mounting my bike. On the face of it, i did good. i missed my goal of 3 hours by only 10 minutes. Considering I am bad at hills and this course is littered with them. i am happy with it.

I had my garmin autolap every five miles and at the autolap, i would drink skratchlabs

holy god. new hampshire needs to fix their roads. On the road back to Ellacoya, I saw almost a rider a mile on the side fixing flats.

I lost one of my water bottles holding skratch labs at mile 6. When you see a pothole and all sorts of nutrition and other debris around it, it's probably best to go around it.

So i grabbed a powerbar perform at first aid station. i don't think i drank enough. Not sure it was because of the bottle loss. My drinking every five miles was a good strategy. I just didn't execute. i only took a sip, instead of what i was doing in training, taking three big gulps, the roads were bad, and it seemed like I was holding my water bottle while trying to navigate potholes, corners, turns, or other riders.

No idea how i did not get a flat. Some sections were just brutal.

Hills. Not good at them. Should have done hill repeats at work during my lunch break. Again, i'm pretty happy with the ride, as i just missed my goal time. I did great on the descents topping out at 42 mph. netween the rough roads, and some of the nervous riders, I did not feel comfortable on the aero bars, so I got on the handles and tucked down. able to keep my speed under control.

nutrition. had a powerbar wafer at mile 10, and mile 30. had clif shots at mile 50. this might not have been enough calories, but i had a very difficult time chocking the powerbars down. i had no problem in training. so not sure why i couldn't eat them. probably wasn't drinking enough.

need to change my hydration set up. my aero drink was gettting lose on my aerobars. i had to readjust them at about mile 30. also need to rethink my hydration/nutrition strategy.

hills. Should have done hill repeats at work where it is fairly hilly. Fitness wise i felt great getting off the bike.

get a speedfill for the frame and just stick with skratchlabs in there.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Good transtion. had a quick chat with a guy who came in right behind me. more of a holy *&$#) that happened comments.

put my socks and shoes on, grabbed my hat, and my nathan bottle. put gu's in my jersey and forgot my clif shots.

maybe put the clif shots across the shoes or put all those clif shots in my jersey for the bike.

i did not have a chance to put the clif shots in my wetsuit in race conditions prior to timberman. Wasn't about to try it for the first time during the race.
Run
  • 2h 34m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Yikes. I ran out of transition, and climbed the little hill out of transtion and saw my wife and son, then instantly heard my Hr monitor screeching. I decided to slow down see if i could calm it down.

I had to pee at around the half mile mark. someone came out of a port a potty and I ran to it and went. that was the last time i peed until later that night.

My HR would just not settle down. I had to walk the hills.of which there were three. I sipped my nathan bottle with nuun in it. every 1/2 mile. I would also grab water at every aid station. ate gu at mile 5 and mile 9.

i got caught up in a group of volunteers from make a wish. they were helping push and motivate runners. ran alongside for a bit, but couldn't keep pace. hr was going up, up and then knee started to twinge at about mile 10. backed off and would run till i got to a hill and then walk. also avoided the aid stations. just pushed on.

not sure what happened. in training, my brick runs were done at 9 min/mile paces. i would get off a 30 mile bike ride and run a 7:38 mile and have to force myself to run a 9. hr was never bad. of course, where i live, no hills. so maybe that had something to do with it. or my hydration nutriciton was off.

need to do more brick runs. i only did two in the lead up to Timberman. I was worried this would burn me out.

it seems like the split long runs didn't work. or it could have been dehydration. i peed at around 12;00. then i didn't pee again until 9 pm.

i felt the most confidant on my run going into Timberman. Which is usually my worst. So this was a bad run. I knew I wasn't going to come in much under 2 hours. i was hoping to not have to walk at all. i only walked the hills through a few of the aid stations, and occassionally, just to settle my hr.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal from Andy Potts. don't remember anyone taking my chip, and got a bottle of water at the finish line.

went to go get food and had to stop and sit down. which turned into lying down. stretched a bit.

ventured over to get food. saw my wife and son, who i only saw coming in on the bike and the first loop of the run.

started shivering. went into transition and took off my tri shirt and put on my sweatshirt. went back to get food. the smell of the barbeque chicken was making me nauseous.

i grabbed everything but the chicken and the baked potato, which my wife told me she heard people say was gross. felt a little better.

walked around a bit, stretched some more. got my stuff and headed back to gunstock.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

dehydration. i think my hydration plan was right on. it seemed to work in training. but i didn't execute. didn't drink enough at each lap.

not sure i will camp again for this race. too much stress packing for a race and everything you need for a weekend of camping. also, difficult to get a good nights rest when others that are camping have nothing to do with the race or are athelets that are celebrating completing the sprint race.

Event comments:

Great race. Fantastic volunteers.

Only real complaint is, on some of the downhills. either have volunteers further up the hill or put signs up saying to slow down. it seemed like you didn't have enough warning on a sharp turn after a step downhill. of course, an athlete should know the course. did not have time to drive the course prior.

Challenging bike course, but fun. Hills were my limiter.

Last updated: 2014-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 138/239
Overall: 983/1784
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: clockwise rectangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:10:51 | 56 miles | 17.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 184/239
Overall: 1140/1784
Wind: Little
Course: an out and back down and past loudon.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:02 | 13.1 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 198/239
Overall: 1345/1784
Performance: Bad
Course: a 3 mile out and back, then do it again.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-20 8:00 AM

New user

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Timberman
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Timberman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by skitri
Views: 3215 Posts: 3

2012-07-02 9:26 AM cobratodd

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by mhan22
Views: 2874 Posts: 2

2013-08-28 2:41 PM Atomak

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by UMAN
Views: 2113 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 8:39 AM UMAN

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by wanger1285
Views: 1711 Posts: 1

2011-06-09 7:41 PM wanger1285

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by dbeach
Views: 2268 Posts: 1

2010-10-05 7:58 AM dbeach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.