General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swimming practice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-23 3:27 PM

User image

Greenville,
Subject: Open water swimming practice
I live in Greenville, NC and I am looking for some places to practice open water swimming. I am used to pool swimming but need to go outside my comfort zone since I will be racing in the 2015 ironman 70.3 in Raleigh. I would like to race in white lake in a couple weeks but with a recent back issue, I am not going to compete, but I am still actively looking to get some open water experience. I know I'm sounding picky, but I need clearish water without snakes! I am happy to drive to raleigh on weekends to practice, but don't know the rules, fees, lifeguard issues that may arise at this time of year. Open water swimming is very new to me so I'm trying to take baby steps! I'm willing to travel a bit in order to get this very important training experience before it gets too cold and I need to invest in a wetsuit. Thank you all!!!!

2014-08-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Open water swimming practice
Not to be funny but most of the lakes around Raleigh that I have swum in have very murky water- lots of particulate matter (not gross, just "stuff" in the water). If you are doing Raleigh 70.3 though, that is what you will be swimming in so you need to get used to it, or at least get used to the idea that sometimes you can't see your hand in at the bottom of your stroke. Anyway, check out Ebenezer Church in Jordan Lake. There is a beach there with a cordoned off section so if you swim just on the other side of those, parallel to shore you are swimming in open water but with easy, quick access to bouys, etc if you get in trouble. It is free to get into the park starting sometime soon (like after labor day) and you should check the opening hours (generally 8am to dusk) but it is a nice place to swim and will be similar to Vista Point, where the Raleigh 70.3 swim is. Generally there will be a few other people around and sometimes some triathletes. That is the only place I have swum on my own in Jordan Lake but others one here will hopefully give you some more options.

ETA: After labor day I don't think there are lifeguards there. And if you swim through the winter you will need a wetsuit. For Raleigh 70.3, it has been wetsuit legal both years.

Edited by louiskie 2014-08-25 1:39 PM
2014-08-25 9:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I second Ebeneezer beach as the best place in these parts (at least South of Raleigh) for OWS. I go there on the weekends once in a while, as I lead up to my races. If you ride your bike into the park, it's free I often swim alone, because there are always lots of families there, and I am within close range of the yellow pipe marking off the swim area to hang onto if need be. Of course, it's always best and more fun to have a buddy.

If you are planning to do Raleigh 70.3, you really do need to get used to the murk. It's definitely a challenge to get used to it, but you can do it! I have never seen a snake in Lake Jordan, tho I am sure they must exist. I just don't let myself think about them. And for me, I feel lots better knowing there are not sharks in a muddy lake! Just little fish that can't hurt me.

White lake is wonderful race venue. I will be there all weekend, if you are going to be there, message me, and I'll do a little swimming with you.

Looks like you are close to Washington, NC. Maybe there are some open water swim groups out that way..??

Good luck!

PS: I have a blog, and my most commented post ever is this one. So it's very normal to freak out, and you can get past it with practice!!!
http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/post/the-reason-you-feel-panic...

Edited by keyone 2014-08-25 9:13 PM
2014-08-26 6:48 AM
in reply to: #5042791

User image

Go to the tricrediables website. They are a group in Greenville that has a Monday open water swim. They also do group rides and runs. I am as also in Greenville but only training for shorter triathlons. Setup has a couple of swim only events in NC. They are searchable from the website. Good luck.
2014-08-27 5:17 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Greenville,
Originally posted by louiskie

Not to be funny but most of the lakes around Raleigh that I have swum in have very murky water- lots of particulate matter (not gross, just "stuff" in the water). If you are doing Raleigh 70.3 though, that is what you will be swimming in so you need to get used to it, or at least get used to the idea that sometimes you can't see your hand in at the bottom of your stroke. Anyway, check out Ebenezer Church in Jordan Lake. There is a beach there with a cordoned off section so if you swim just on the other side of those, parallel to shore you are swimming in open water but with easy, quick access to bouys, etc if you get in trouble. It is free to get into the park starting sometime soon (like after labor day) and you should check the opening hours (generally 8am to dusk) but it is a nice place to swim and will be similar to Vista Point, where the Raleigh 70.3 swim is. Generally there will be a few other people around and sometimes some triathletes. That is the only place I have swum on my own in Jordan Lake but others one here will hopefully give you some more options.

ETA: After labor day I don't think there are lifeguards there. And if you swim through the winter you will need a wetsuit. For Raleigh 70.3, it has been wetsuit legal both years.

This sounds like a good option! I know I will get used to gross water, I'm just trying to ease my way into open water. I don't really consider myself to be a strong swimmer, which is why I have been sticking to pool swim triathlons. I'm excited about the half iron!
2014-08-27 5:21 PM
in reply to: keyone

User image

Greenville,
Originally posted by keyone

I second Ebeneezer beach as the best place in these parts (at least South of Raleigh) for OWS. I go there on the weekends once in a while, as I lead up to my races. If you ride your bike into the park, it's free I often swim alone, because there are always lots of families there, and I am within close range of the yellow pipe marking off the swim area to hang onto if need be. Of course, it's always best and more fun to have a buddy.

If you are planning to do Raleigh 70.3, you really do need to get used to the murk. It's definitely a challenge to get used to it, but you can do it! I have never seen a snake in Lake Jordan, tho I am sure they must exist. I just don't let myself think about them. And for me, I feel lots better knowing there are not sharks in a muddy lake! Just little fish that can't hurt me.

White lake is wonderful race venue. I will be there all weekend, if you are going to be there, message me, and I'll do a little swimming with you.

Looks like you are close to Washington, NC. Maybe there are some open water swim groups out that way..??

Good luck!

PS: I have a blog, and my most commented post ever is this one. So it's very normal to freak out, and you can get past it with practice!!!
http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/post/the-reason-you-feel-panic...

I had actually planned to do white lake in a couple weeks but can't because of a back injury I am trying to recover from. I haven't been able to train in almost 3 weeks so I decided its best to back out and not risk pushing myself too far and reinjuring myself. It's just too hard to say "I'll just hold back" because once the race starts the adrenaline kicks in and you're on autopilot!

I agree about the shark thing! Especially since I got my fix with shark week last week on discovery channel!

2014-08-27 5:24 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Greenville,
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Go to the tricrediables website. They are a group in Greenville that has a Monday open water swim. They also do group rides and runs. I am as also in Greenville but only training for shorter triathlons. Setup has a couple of swim only events in NC. They are searchable from the website. Good luck.

Do you train with anyone in Greenville? Running, or riding?
2014-08-29 8:38 PM
in reply to: #5043620

User image

I haven't. My training is a bit as sporadic. Sometimes 5 am sometime 8 pm. There are a bunch of group rides but I usually have a work or family conflict.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swimming practice Rss Feed