Set Up Events
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 68/293
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/41
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15 am - ate my oatmeal and packed up - running a little late but was not worried - until I tried to park. Apparently I had to park in very specific places - I must have missed the memo. End up parking a t a friends house about 1.5 miles away and rode in - the ride actually was a nice warmup. Time was critical as I arrived - and unfortunately i knocked a bike over. The racks were tight. Not my best morning, Got chipped and marked up - and back to transition.
Event warmup:

Ran into some friends and chatted - managed to get a very short run/activation warmup end. Hit the bathroom and was on time for the swim . Short warmup. I did recognize how much gravel was in the parking lot - the parking lot for transition was really rough.

Swim
  • 15m 3s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started wide left and stayed there - I ended too wide for too long but finally recovered for the first bouy, I went out fast and had a foot cramp in the first 200 meters.

The rest of the swim was good - ran into some traffic from the wave ahead which was a pain,

This is a course PR by a minute. So it was a good swim
What would you do differently?:

Sighted better early
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

It felt decent - my spot was ok. Long run from the water and it was not the best surface again in TA, Still a PR for Transition 1.
Bike
  • 49m 17s
  • 17.8 miles
  • 21.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 1,5 miles were a pain - then we got out on the open road and I hit it hard. Traffic was ok and I passed a truck one time on the right - played hop scotch with one guy the entire ride - he cramped up on the run. We almost go hit heading up Faith Rd. when a car came screaming up the road, then he tried to come back into the lane with us. A true idiot. Traffic was heavy but it really only affected me once.

The turn off main street was truly sharp and frankly not sure why we did it as it was so late.

2 mins faster last year on a tougher course
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Given how bad the surface was in TA, I did not take my shoes off on the bike per my usual - It was the right decision.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

PR on this run by 30 seconds - it was a nice steady run - I was suffering for sure as it was hot and humid - just kept reminding myself how much I had left in the season with each mile.
Post race
Warm down:

I was spent - to PR this race overall with a much harder ride - and drop 4:15 from last year - strong effort and a great way to finish this season.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was sick in July and it as a result my HR has been raised. Struggled running for much of the month but found form late.

Event comments:

The parking situation - and the way we race through Davidson - it feels like Davidson really does not want this race - not sure if it is the town or the college.

Setup did well with the event.

Last updated: 2014-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:03 | 750 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/41
Overall: 76/293
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:17 | 17.8 miles | 21.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/41
Overall: 45/293
Had the actual course at 17.1
Wind: Little
Course: They added a jog at mile 1 through the neighborhood in Davidson - which was a pain and a rough, tough ride. I knew it was coming - and knew it was going to be tough as we had sharp turns at every downhill. Looked down and was over three minutes on the first mile - once I hit Davidson-Concord I took offf
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:43 | 05 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 13/41
Overall: 0/293
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-08-23 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Lake Norman YMCA Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Norman YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Norman YMCA Triathlon

Started by jlhoward
Views: 1832 Posts: 7

2007-08-28 9:07 AM excited2tri

Started by foots
Views: 1902 Posts: 8

2007-08-28 9:25 AM excited2tri

Started by chaz
Views: 752 Posts: 2

2007-08-27 1:23 PM medic0020

Started by chaz
Views: 1474 Posts: 2

2006-08-28 9:51 AM joscon

Started by syandoa
Views: 1600 Posts: 1

2006-03-13 10:09 AM syandoa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.