General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 35m 54s
Overall Rank = 196/220
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Saturday night my wife and I had our 5th year anniversay....first time in a year it has just us out. Went to 'Piottos' - uppity Italian restaurant. Had a ton of food and some aussie wine - discovered two new tastes too. When we got home I finished packing my bag and went to bed at 11:00pm. I got up at 2am, showered, went through the checklist, made espresso - and my awesome wife packed me breakfast/lunch/pop/candy. I was loaded up and left home at 3:00am. Another uneventfull drive past Columbus eating sandwich, drinking pop and listening to Oakenfold and Carl Cox. Arrived at 6:15am, a few people were there. I met Scott Erdman (event manager...totally nice guy), got my packet, timing chip, racked my bike in the corner to the outside (fav spot). by 6:40 I was good to go.
Event warmup:

Strolled down to the lake...VERY WARM! Huge beach...I kinda just zoned out for 45 minutes watching the sunrise...i'm more of an introvert...i like to think and collect thoughts. I'm shy and quite by nature so I wont be walking up and saying hi to you too fast unless i know u. Headed back up to the transition...VERY BUSY. A full house race...lines everywhere. It does pay to be early - more relaxing on the nerves. I took lots of pics, noticed (again) i was the only knobby rider. oh well...someday... Listened to the pre-race meeting, put the suntan lotion on and headed down to the beach...about 8 waves of racers took off...My wave was 45minutes from the start so I got to cheer some of the sprints in. Pretty cool. I was surprisingly calm.
Swim
  • 42m 52s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim started at 8:40. I was totally calm. Actually had a groove for the first 5 minutes but then I started losing my breath again. Not a lot of waves...really calm. The swim was another struggle. I think I was 4rth to last out.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more...schedule didn't really allow it. And i think i took a week and a half off from my last tri. So basically I haven't been putting the time in - not by choice. I would love to have a masters team near me...I know I would get faster swimming with them. Nobody is really 'pushing' me in the pool. Plus work on more drills to improve efficiency. Several lessons would help me a lot. Its just time and money.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Putting on the tri-shirt was a lot easier this time since I wore it for the swim. I also fashioned a race belt that i simply hooked on...last tri i had no race belt and pinned the number on the shirt so in t1 the shirt wouldnt go on my wet body and the number ripped off. SO much improvement. Unfortunately in looking for a belt I found out that my local running store got bought out by fleet feet who promptly relocated the store too far away!

Try to get faster getting sand off and shoes on - I am a very slow swimmer and there is no water left for me in the little feet baths...I should bring my own. I ALMOST GOT DOCKED for time as I was a little excited and about mounted my bike in the transition area...WHOOPS!
Bike
  • 1h 39m 44s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 14.92 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride started out with rolling hills immediately, something of which I will never get accustomed to unless I move to a different topography. I kept in easy enought though, albeit slow. The course featured several other 'moderate' climbs - but not too long in duration. Also a monster downhill that had me wondering about the status of my breaks...i swear I was applying full brakes for 5 minutes...it was sheer as the earth is round. I did hear about one or two unfortunate wipe-outs. I hope they are ok. Well, what goes down goes back up in about 15 minutes later. I used the Grandmother of all Granny Gears...couldn;t do it though...i pussed out at the smiley face painted on the road marking the half-way point. I walked up the rest...very sheer hill and long. The rest of the course was nice, scenic and country fragrant with very little traffic. I ate 3 gels on the bike and had 32oz of gatorade on my back in the tri-shirt pocket...nothing seemed to be wrong with that nutrition plan. I actually did not use the camelback this time as i found out i didnt need that much gatorade - even on such a hot day...i felt more 'natural' without it as i only needed a water bottle in my back pocket.

Practice hills, get a real bike...(another tri life)
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Easy transition. Ate a gel, finished the bike leg drink and was off.

Nothing much,
Run
  • 1h 08m 9s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Hotter then Hades with absolutely no shade nor wind. Brutal. It didn't start all that well either for me. Being at the back of the pack, when I asked a man which way the course went at one of the turns where there was a MASSIVE convergence of arrows, he told me 'that way'...he was assuming i was finishing the run and I found myself going towards the finishline arches. Turned around and found my way correctly - only lost a few minutes. Incidentally at that same spot that confused me withall the arrows, it was CLEAR AS DAY on the way back?!?! The run did feauture a good sized hill...i was SOOOO tempted to walk it but didn't. I drank two cups of liquids at each station as it was that hot (4 stations total)...I was full but it was good...no sloshing though. At the last mile marker, I realized that the number '1' can be connected at the ends and half-turned into the 'infinity' symbol...that how long that last mile felt. I was very, very happy that I made it to the finishline without dying or overheating.

Command the gods-that-may-be-presiding to give me a little more shade next time. I don't think I would be asking for much. OH! Get more familiar with the run course directions. I had them on the bike but not on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a cold pepsi immediately and downed that, got another one and just walked in a big box (not literally) for 30minutes in some shade to cooldown before the 3 hour drive home. Was not hungry...yet. Just wasted. I packed up - most of the transition was torn down during my arrival at the finish. I drank two more sodas, ate a bag of m&m's, skittles and a sandwich plus a large coffee to keep me awake on the way home...last 30minutes was difficult. 3hours is max for me. Upon getting home I noticed that i got pretty burnt out there...need water-proof sunscreen, not water resistant...plus if its fresh, it would have helped...i was using some old stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Most people had left when i arrived at the finishline. It felt great to complete that course without any walking and such...but for the first time it was a little depressing bringing up the far-rear again...and being virtually the only one in all the transitions. I guess I need to accept this for a while with the new family and the fit-training-in-when-i-can plan that is really the only realistic one i have now. It would be cool someday to be mid-pack and amongst the excitement.

Event comments:

Another great race by HFP racing. A wonderful course with a HUGE sandy beach and a large covered picnic area where the whole family can come out and enjoy the day.

Last updated: 2004-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:52 | 1500 meters | 02m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 200/220
Performance: Bad
Suit: Pearl Izumis/Desoto Tri Singlet
Course: A box that you had to swim twice. After the first lap you had to go out of the water and onto the beach and then re-enter. You feel like a fly. I really hate courses that you have to repeat the loop...something to the effect of: "uh, i DID THIS already! why do it again!?!"
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:39:44 | 24.8 miles | 14.92 mile/hr
Overall: 201/220
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Back amongst the cornfeilds of Ohio. MMMM! Smelled like sweet corn! The hilliest race I have been in but really just little hills and rolling hills that you easily can recover from. There was also a monster downhill followed 10min later by an even more monstrous uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:09 | 06.2 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 179/220
Performance: Below average
Course: Weird Course. Part rough trail but mostly paved roads.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-07-14 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Caesar Creek International Triathlon

2004-07-14 2:44 PM
in reply to: #37379

Regular
Dayton, OH
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek International Triathlon
Good report. Keep up the training. It will all come together for you!
2004-07-15 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey

Ron,

You did it and enjoyed yourself and that is what counts. Good Job.

Edited by kgart 2004-07-15 3:03 PM
2004-07-15 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio

Great job Ron! I didn't see you?? I was doing the sprint distance though. Good report!

Beth

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek International Triathlon Rss Feed