Overall Rank = 5/29
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Swim
  • 11m 2s
  • 560 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a lousy swim. At least it felt like it. But looking at the pace I could not have really expected much more with the shoulder being so un-cooperative and with swimming without a wetsuit...
I was also very unlucky as we were about 13 women in the lane (its a huge lane) and 4 swam way faster than me and everyone else way slower so I had nobody to draft and was alone the entire time after the first lap. Got really nauseous after the second lap (not sure why) and that was a weird feeling. The swim includes seven 180 degree turns without a wall to push from and you have to touch a line which hangs a bit above the water at the end of each lap. So you swim 70m, stop, touch the line, turn around and start swimming again. This sure took some time and somehow I never really found a rhythm at all....Water was warm though with temps of around 26C (79F). I saw 5 people swimming in a wetsuit! Crazy ;)
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

T1 was somehow way too long but not sure what else I could have done to go faster....
Bike
  • 35m 32s
  • 19.4 kms
  • 32.76 km/hr
Comments:

I had a really good bike. Pushed the entire time which can be seen at the HR. I rarely see these numbers during bike rides!! 4 laps of 5km, a 180 degree turn on one end and a small loop at the other end which included a short but very steep hill followed by a downhill. The rest of the course was a slight downhill with headwind and back a slight uphill with tailwind. The downhill section was always a bit of a recovery from pushing up and to let the HR settle a bit. The first time I went up the steep hill I actually stood up and powered up as there were so many spectators there who made noise and I just pushed up like crazy. Bad choice as the legs were toast right after. The next 3 times I pushed up but stayed down on the seat. Overtook 2 of the women who were in front of me in the swim so I had a pretty good guess that I was third at that point which was nice. I drank several times during the uphill part which was necessary as it was warm. Not as warm as the day before but with 27C (81F) still a lot more than we are used to here in Iceland. All in all a good bike!! PM file includes the run through both T1 and T2.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

T2 went well but although I went out of my shoes before the line I did not dare to put my leg over and jump off. I need to practise that before London!!!
Run
  • 29m 46s
  • 5.53 kms
  • 05m 23s  min/km
Comments:

The way my legs felt during the ride with all the lactic acid I was really afraid of this run as I feared I might have pushed too much. But once I started running I knew I was fine. The run starts with a steep uphill and there are 2 sections of about 15m which I decided to walk up. My lungs were burning at that point and I had trouble breathing and I saw no benefit in running up and I am not sure it would have been that much faster. I probably would have rather killed my legs. So I walked those 2 short sections and once up I was able to increase my tempo without any problem. The uphills were followed by some straight and then a steep downhill and I just ran down fast and hoped that the hip would hold up which it did. I poured water over me and drank a bit at every drinking station and once down there was a spectator with a garden hose and I was more than happy to get soaking wet running through it. Once the loop is done it is repeat again and once again I walked up the steep sections. I overtook three women during the run (which were all relays) and thought that I might still be third at that point as the one woman I overtook on the bike (and which looked bloddy fast) did not overtake me yet (found out later that she overtook me in T2) so I kept running but the running course sure was challenging and turned out to be 5.5km instead of 5! With about 1250m left to go I looked behnd me and saw another woman coming quite close but I somehow had no energy left to increase my speed so she overtook me about 200m before the finish. I ended up finishing 5th overall in the women and I am sure happy about that. This sure was a challenging run!
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race in 1:19:09 5th OA and 1st in AG :)

Last updated: 2013-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:02 | 560 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 5/29
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: