General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain on runs only Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-01 11:50 AM

Subject: Knee pain on runs only
I have been experiencing knee pain on all of my runs to the point of needing to stop sometimes after only a few miles. My knees do not bother me in any other training, I have changed shoes, and been to a PT the only advice I have been given is that it is tendinitis. Is there a remedy that I am ignoring or will I just have to train through the pain? Help please

2014-09-01 3:04 PM
in reply to: TheHeimke

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Knee pain on runs only
where is the location of the knee pain ?
2014-09-01 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Pain tells your body that there is an issue.  Stop running if there is pain.

If you believe your PT, what did they say you should do with your tendinitis. Maybe go see a Sports trained Ortho if you don't trust your PT.

2014-09-01 4:24 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Don't run through the pain. You'll make it worse and you'll end up not being able to train for a longer period. Keep in mind I'm not a PT or qualified in anyway to diagnose you or recommend treatment, but when I have had tendonitis in my knee I've been prescribed ice and elevation several times a day, and stopping all running for at least 2 weeks. Then, very gradually easing back into running coupled with diligent stretching will help keep you from re-injury.
2014-09-01 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by TheHeimke I have been experiencing knee pain on all of my runs to the point of needing to stop sometimes after only a few miles. My knees do not bother me in any other training, I have changed shoes, and been to a PT the only advice I have been given is that it is tendinitis. Is there a remedy that I am ignoring or will I just have to train through the pain? Help please

R.I.C.E!!!  -->  Rest, Ice, Compress,  Elevate.

If it's on the outside of the knee, could be ITB.   Switch  your focus to Swim and Light Biking while the inflammation dies down.  

The other thing you can do is:  Try a brace to stabilize your knee.   IF THAT WORKS, DO NOT KEEP RUNNING WITH THE BRACE.  Focus on doing some core strength work to strengthen the muscles that should be stabilizing your knee.   Again, do not use a brace long term... it is doing the work that your muscles should be doing, and if you continue to use the brace, you'll never strengthen those muscles.

Finally: try to identify the cause of the injury.   Have you recently increased your daily/weekly distance?   Been running on a new surface?  Been unusually tired from other activities, and then pushing through your workouts?   

By identifying the cause, you can focus your recovery/improvement activities to try to attack the problem at the source. 

Disclosure:  I'm not an expert.   But my mom is a PT, and I've worked through similar knee issues before... so I'm parroting her advice. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain on runs only Rss Feed