Outtaboundshawaii
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 13m 27s
Overall Rank = 25/120
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Signed up 4 days prior with no expectations. I really did not want to participate as I had peaked earlier in the season and my fitness has been on the decline and my weight up. But I felt the need to support bike racing in Hawaii which is always on a fine line of success and folding. Carl Brooks stepped up to take over as race director when many clubs have been hesitant to take their turn at directing this race. It's a logistical cluster****, so a few low turnouts could mean the race dies...which would be extremely sad.

So that said, I spent the last 4 weeks just commuting and the occasional miles on the weekend. Nothing serious and my PMC chart showed my fitness pretty much at a season low. I figured though that coming into the race fresh was better than trying to train too much in hopes of another peak.

The goal was just to have fun, don't crash, and stay with the lead group as long as possible. I know I can't win. I know that I will eventually get dropped with the hills in the last 25 miles...just be respectable.
Event warmup:

For those that don't know, this is the 112 mile bike race around Oahu for which the original Ironman bike was founded upon. Over the past 45 years, Oahu has changed a lot with development in Waikiki and downtown...and therefore it is impossible to have a 112 mile full on race without keeping the peloton neutral for the first 30 miles as we cruise through town. This is because police need to close down about 100 intersections of traffic in town. Keeping us together in one group makes it possible as the motorcycle cops (about 25 of them) leap frog use easier constantly stopping traffic ahead and then reopening them as we pass. Therefore, the first 30 miles is just a 18-20 mph cruise until Kunia where the horn sounds and the race is officially on.
Bike
  • 5h 13m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

The neutral section was pretty uneventful. Stayed in the first 25 positions or so to avoid the accordion effect. As we approached Kunia, everyone was getting ready for the hammerfest to split the group. It's a 1000 foot climb on about a 4% grade. As with any bike race, it's completely unpredictable. Sometimes the elite guys put the hammer down full gas with surges, and sometimes they just tempo it. Last time I did the race 2 years ago, I was dropped here, and the year before that I made it with the front group...barely.

This year, Eric Lau attacked right off the bat solo. Crazy. But this allowed the group to ride a hard tempo as they wanted to let him go this early. The hardest part was 340 watts for 4 minutes...well within my capabilities. Overall, it was 280 watts for 14 minutes for the main part of the climb before things settled down. But because of this, the front group was around 50 guys.

After descending back down to Haleiwa, surges and attacks were made. Without the trade winds (normally a cross headwind) it made it easier to accelerate off the front. Guys were constantly going solo, groups of 3-5, and sometimes groups of 8. Due to the lead group being so big, hanging in the back was a gamble as you didn't know if the pack would split on an acceleration. So I made the decision to ride in the top 20 positions...which meant I sometimes worked my way to the front, or was responsible to bridge a few surges or attacks. I used up a lot of energy here.

Somewhere past Laie, there was a crash behind me. Probably around 2-3 bikes back. The lead group was now down to 30 in an instant. So staying up front paid off. The speeds were getting crazy when the gas was on...up over 30 mph at times...then back down to 18 mph when guys would look at each other...but then right back up again. It was far from a steady effort.

Somewhere around Punaluu, I found myself in a 8 man break. We had some big hitters and 50 meters, so if we could get organized, we had a chance to get away. I knew this move would kill me, but at the same time it would have been a fun experience. After 3 turns up front, I figured we didn't have enough organization so I dropped off and the whole group was caught a few minutes later. I went all the way to the back to recover as I burned a few matches. It was at this point I knew the rest of the race, with the hills coming up...would suck.

We came through Temple Valley without any attacks, but Mokapu would be the real first test. I took about 20 deep breaths as we approached this short but steep hill and put down 400 watts for just under 2 minutes which wasn't so bad, but now at mile 92...the cumulative effects were kicking in. We dropped 5 or so riders here Another 450 watt effort for 30 seconds to get up the short wall on dump road and both my quads started to cringe a bit. Another handful of riders dropped on this pitch and the group was down to 15. Olomana coming up next and I knew it was going to be over soon as this is where the elite guys will make the real move.

We made the right turn into Olomana and I got up the first shallow pitch with the group, but then pulled the plug. The group split into two with myself and Arnel off the back. I was hoping to work with Arnel, but I was completely wasted.

Just limped it home as riders who were previously dropped on Mokapu and Dump Road caught me up.

This year was FAST. And HOT. Winner was 5:02. Previous years that I did it, winning times were closer to 5:10. A lot of it depends on how fast we go through the neutral section, but reports were that this year's neutral was really slow...but the racing portion was extremely fast.
What would you do differently?:

Conserve more energy. But I avoided the crash...which was most important. I didn't come into this race anywhere near peak form or fitness. My goal was to make it to Olomana and I did. I didn't expect to crumble like I did, but I also didn't expect to put in so many hard efforts earlier in the race. If I sat back more, I probably could have hung on to a top 15 finish...but that's bike racing.
Post race

Last updated: 2014-09-01 12:00 AM
Biking
05:13:27 | 112 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 26/120
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 112 miles around Oahu
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-09-01 12:33 PM

User image

Subject: Dick Evans Memorial Road Race

2014-09-02 8:23 AM
in reply to: #5045684

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Dick Evans Memorial Road Race

Nicely done Jason - and nice RR.

2014-09-02 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Impressive result for your amount of training !

thanks for the details on the race.
2014-09-02 8:25 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Great tradition keeping the race going and terrific RR. Congrats.
2014-09-03 2:54 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Well done Jason!  Impressive to do as well as you did on the training you've done.

2014-09-03 5:42 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-09-03 11:34 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Overall NP was 214, but between the neutral section and the time I blew up, it was around 235 for 3 hours.  Even that doesn't do it justice though.  I've done 3 hours at 240 NP in training before.  Probably not in 95 degree heat though...and not as many huge spikes.

2014-09-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Great race, Jason.  I love reading all the strategy and tactics you employ in road racing!

2014-09-03 6:05 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Jason
You...simply...rock!!!

Fantastic race! What a challenge and you can bring it with the best. I (and so many others) are very impressed with your race strategies and training.
I truly hope the race endures. Good decision on supporting it-even if it wasn't a target race.

How very cool to be 'in position' with only two miles to go...Wow.

Epic is the correct word. Congratulations to you and very well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dick Evans Memorial Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dick Evans Memorial Road Race

Started by tri808
Views: 1206 Posts: 1

2012-09-03 12:07 AM tri808

Dick Evans Memorial Road Race

Started by tri808
Views: 1422 Posts: 2

2011-09-06 9:36 PM trix

The Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster Cross Countr

Started by Fielding
Views: 1583 Posts: 7

2009-06-25 8:51 PM lastcall2003

The Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster Cross Country Race

Started by bhoover10001
Views: 1419 Posts: 2

2008-06-18 6:17 PM Girl Passing on Left

Jenny Evans Road Race

Started by EABonney
Views: 1453 Posts: 1

2007-08-07 9:07 AM EABonney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.