Fairport Harbor, Ohio
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 07m 36s
Overall Rank = 13/196
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Ran 13 miles the day before at a 6:44 pace.
Breakfast - banana, 2 packets of oat meal. 1/2 hour before swim start 1 gel and water.
Event warmup:

walking around
Swim
  • 20m 18s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt like I swam like hell. Steady hard effort put forth.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

put a gel in my back jersey pocket for the bike ride.
Bike
  • 42m 21s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

walk around

Event comments:

Originally this race was to be held in Mentor Headlands Beach but due to flood water damage in the park the race was moved to Fairport Harbor. Considering last minute course changes the race was well put together.

Last updated: 2006-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:18 | 800 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/196
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Rectangle behind breakwall.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:21 | 15 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:36 | 03.2 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-17 10:52 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Greater Cleveland Triathlon

2006-08-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: #514589

Subject: RE: Greater Cleveland Triathlon
Here is my report on this, my VERY first and not last triathlon that I posted on Clevetriclub.com:

What a GREAT TIME!! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me. The people on and of the course were wonderful and even though I didn't have any family or friends there, I felt alot of support from all the volunteers and athletes.

My Recap:

After about four hours of sleep the night before, I was standing on the beach doing the Chevy Chase thing from "Vacation". Ya know the scene where right before he goes swimming with Christie Brinkley he is standing on the edge of the pool saying to himself, "This is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy" Well that was me.

Running into the water like a heard of water buffalo crossing a croc infested river, me and my fellow sprinters bumped and clawed our way to the first turn. after a few what can only be described as "donkey kicks" to the face, I got a decent rhythm going and much to my surprise, got out of the water alive a little over 18 mins later.

"Running" to the first transition I was still kind of having an outer body experience saying to myself, "Oh my God, I am in triathlon!"

At T1 (I love saying that by the way, "T1". Makes me sound like a real Triathlete) I had all this yummy food neatly laid out, my socks on top of my shoes and the helmet on top of all of it. Needless to say I didn't eat any of the food, put one sock on inside out and nearly forgot to put on my helmet. But I was on my way none the less.

The bike which I THOUGHT was going to be my best stage was the most challenging and frustrating for me. My strategy was to keep a good pace but not to kill myself for the run. well EVERYONE else apparently had the opposite idea. I was getting passed on the bike like a salt shaker at a cardboard eating contest!

Worst of all there was a woman who passed me, then I passed her, she passed me then I passed her. Then Finally as if by some miracle, we went over some railroad tracks and her water bottle fell out of her aero bars. Seeing her distraction as an opportunity I turned it on and never saw her again. The last thing i heard her say was " Dammit!! there goes that ten dollars!" And I was gone.

OK so after a sllloooww bike I said "Lets make it up on the run course Jesse"

I get off the bike and on to my "legs" which at this point feel like 500 lb. sand bags but I say again "Oh my God, I am in a triathlon" and start the run feeling pretty good actually.

The run course was nice and flat and the aid stations were GREAT. Alot of "way to go"s looking good"s. But there was one aid station that got me thinking. A very nice woman said to me sympathetically "Oh, its okay your almost done, hang in there" To which thought, "Holy crap! Do I look that bad? What did she mean by that? Cause I feel pretty good actually" I took it in stride and I KNOW she didn't mean anything by her tone. I actually got a little chuckle out of it. But at this point I was not only physically tired but mentally drained.

Nearing the finish line I had a rush of physical and emotional energy that I have never felt before. I went from saying "Oh my god your in a triathlon!" To saying "HOLY SH*T! your finishing a triathlon!" I crossed the finish and nearly cried. It was an amazing experience. And I will NEVER EVER forget it.

The first part of my life, or B.T. as I call it (before triathlon). Was great, but I cannot wait to live the A.T.part of it (after triathlon) and experience all the elation, pain preparation and sense of accomplishment that comes with now being able to say:

"Yeah, I am a triathlete"

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greater Cleveland Triathlon Rss Feed