General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Medal Display Question? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-02 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: Ironman Medal Display Question?
BT,

There was a guy at the IMMT expo who was selling a display case with your picture, bib, engraved splits and you got an extra medal for the display case. Does anyone know what this company is called? I tried searching for them but I cannot remember. I assume they are at all the IM's and major marathons and other non branded events. I do not want to buy one but would like to look at there layouts so I can try to put one together myself for half the price. Any help would be appreciated.

2014-09-02 11:25 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Subject: RE: Ironman Medal Display Question?
I don't know the company but I did something similar for a friend who competed in IMFL with me. I bought a shadow box, cork board for the backing, and then went to a local trophy making company for the engraving of a plaque. I was able to use my own bib/picture/medal for spacing and then when I presented it to him we put his stuff in. Worked out pretty well.
2014-09-02 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I bought two at IMFL last year for 2 of my prior IMs. I'll try and find the name for you. Super busy day trying to get my husband discharged from the hospital so I'll get to this when I can.

2014-09-02 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Running on the Wall is the one I see the most
2014-09-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Finish Line Frames

2014-09-02 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Mine came from Lasting Commemoratives.

Edit:  they only do marathons.  

Edited by RussTKD 2014-09-02 4:33 PM

2014-09-02 5:23 PM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by emferg

Finish Line Frames

Yep that is who has been at IM races.

2014-09-03 8:20 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks everyone!
2014-09-03 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I display my medals in a few of these:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2014-09-03 8:20 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Ha ha I think all my medals are in the kids play boxes, most of them are probably broken or lost by now.
2014-09-04 8:47 AM

Originally posted by zedzded

Originally posted by simpsonbo

Ha ha I think all my medals are in the kids play boxes, most of them are probably broken or lost by now.

now why do you have to be like that about someone else's accomplishments? so you have the time and money and genes to do a lot of races and so you have sooooo many medals that you just throw them in a box or give them to you kids - so what? your bragging about how you are so anti medal makes you worse than the very thing you are poo poo-ing. and worse, you are so amazing you essentially throw you medals away, but not really, and you clearly take a medal at the end of every race. you are a hypocrite and bully that can't just let other people be happy.

there is nothing wrong with other people taking pride in what they accomplished and displaying their medals, your putting down everyone who takes pride in doing so is ridiculous and quite frankly, you are a jerk.

To all those who display your medals - good for you! there is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself and I enjoy looking at the medals displayed by people. shows me they are human with human emotions and have the ability to take pride in what they have done.

Edited by gotbitten 2014-09-04 8:49 AM

2014-09-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by gotbitten
Originally posted by zedzded
Originally posted by simpsonbo I display my medals in a few of these: Image and video hosting by TinyPic
now why do you have to be like that about someone else's accomplishments? so you have the time and money and genes to do a lot of races and so you have sooooo many medals that you just throw them in a box or give them to you kids - so what? your bragging about how you are so anti medal makes you worse than the very thing you are poo poo-ing. and worse, you are so amazing you essentially throw you medals away, but not really, and you clearly take a medal at the end of every race. you are a hypocrite and bully that can't just let other people be happy. there is nothing wrong with other people taking pride in what they accomplished and displaying their medals, your putting down everyone who takes pride in doing so is ridiculous and quite frankly, you are a jerk. To all those who display your medals - good for you! there is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself and I enjoy looking at the medals displayed by people. shows me they are human with human emotions and have the ability to take pride in what they have done.

Lol, you are one of the best internet tough guys I have come across. Thanks for the entertainment. Keep up the good fight oh mighty keyboard warrior!

2014-09-04 12:01 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
The whole medal thing is a bit of an interesting subject for me. On one hand, I think finisher’s medals are a bit out of hand. I got one for a 5k last year…a 5k!! Personally, I think finisher’s medals should only be given for events that warrant them, which in my opinion would be Marathons, HIMs and IMs. But even in those circumstances, what one does with it is their deal. Belittling others however, is kind of lame. In my running-only days, I honestly can’t think of a race that I didn’t place in my AG or overall. So those medals lost their meaning for me after a while, however, I always waited and accepted them. To me placing was ordinary, but I remember the first time I placed and how big of an deal it was for me and I think not being there to accept the medal is rude to the other placers for whom this could be a first time or one time experience. I’ve had to sit through really painfully long awards ceremonies when all I wanted to do was go the heck home, but I stayed anyway. (in case it's not clear, I think if you place and leave before the ceremony, then you are in essence belittling the accomplishment. It's hard to be proud of a 3rd place when the 1st and 2nd guys didn't even bother to show up) So I guess what I’m saying is for reasonable medals (finishers for HIM, IM and Marathon and AG/Overall places) don’t be a d-bag about it and respect others accomplishments. If someone asks you for framing advice for a 5k finisher’s medal…then feel free to poke fun. BTW, my medals are all proudly displayed in my shed.

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-04 12:15 PM
2014-09-04 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by 3mar

The whole medal thing is a bit of an interesting subject for me. On one hand, I think finisher’s medals are a bit out of hand. I got one for a 5k last year…a 5k!! Personally, I think finisher’s medals should only be given for events that warrant them, which in my opinion would be Marathons, HIMs and IMs. But even in those circumstances, what one does with it is their deal. Belittling others however, is kind of lame. In my running-only days, I honestly can’t think of a race that I didn’t place in my AG or overall. So those medals lost their meaning for me after a while, however, I always waited and accepted them. To me placing was ordinary, but I remember the first time I placed and how big of an deal it was for me and I think not being there to accept the medal is rude to the other placers for whom this could be a first time or one time experience. I’ve had to sit through really painfully long awards ceremonies when all I wanted to do was go the heck home, but I stayed anyway. (in case it's not clear, I think if you place and leave before the ceremony, then you are in essence belittling the accomplishment. It's hard to be proud of a 3rd place when the 1st and 2nd guys didn't even bother to show up) So I guess what I’m saying is for reasonable medals (finishers for HIM, IM and Marathon and AG/Overall places) don’t be a d-bag about it and respect others accomplishments. If someone asks you for framing advice for a 5k finisher’s medal…then feel free to poke fun. BTW, my medals are all proudly displayed in my shed.

Why should the standards for what is finisher medal-worthy be based on your interpretation? Finishing a 5k is a big deal to a lot of people.

If you want a finisher's medal take it. If you are proud of it, display it.

Edited by RockTractor 2014-09-04 1:34 PM
2014-09-04 1:46 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Katy, Texas
Well, I guess you have a point, however, I have to argue that for one; just about any healthy person can move themselves 3.1 miles without any training at all, so it's really just a matter of breaking out what is an accomplishment in terms of normal human ability vs not. By having finisher medals for 5ks it takes away the merit of the finisher's medal for a marathon which, for most normal people, takes a great deal of training, dedication and effort. So it's not about what it means to me, but to the large majority of the population. That being said, if you want to bust someone's chops, how about the guy who went out of his way to belittle the OP and not the guy defending him?
2014-09-04 2:14 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
You are looking for www.fondmemoriesgraphics.com

They (he) has been at all the recent US and Mexican IM races. They do a nice job. He can also make orders for previous races if you have a medal you want displayed.

Hope that helps.

2014-09-06 7:29 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Personally I would rather have free race pictures. Medals for finishing seem meh to me.

The wife gets angry when I accept a finisher medal from a local event.

2014-09-06 10:53 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by simpsonbo I display my medals in a few of these: Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If this is how anyone out there "displays" finisher medals please think about donating them to http://www.medals4mettle.org/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Medal Display Question? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finishers Medals - Show me creative ways of using/displaying them Pages: 1 2

Started by reecealan
Views: 6956 Posts: 30

2013-07-03 8:54 PM Roadtoad22

Ironman Medals

Started by kovac9478
Views: 2964 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 9:41 PM dodgersmom

Show me your race medal, race bib, and trophy displays

Started by TriMyBest
Views: 4120 Posts: 11

2012-11-26 10:14 AM wolfador

How do you display your medals/racepics/numbers? Pages: 1 2

Started by guy2600
Views: 3473 Posts: 30

2012-06-04 9:17 PM cwpeters

Garmin 305 Question: Heart Rate Display

Started by jsklarz
Views: 3777 Posts: 8

2009-01-09 11:26 AM jsklarz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Exercising in inclement weather is a lot like getting a flu shot or going to your in-laws for the holidays—you know that it’s probably good for you but still isn’t something that thrills you to death.

date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.