General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting or not during triainig rides? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-04 4:13 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Drafting or not during triainig rides?

Originally posted by jeng

Yeah, a motorcycle or scooter, or someone going really really fast. 

I have motorpaced on the street, but motorpace weekly on our local velodrome. Sets are different speeds and different drills that are mostly track specific, but often we just do straight up motorpacing, i.e. 3 sets of 10 minutes at 50km/hr.

I've also motorpaced off a car, but that is usually just to get back into a group after fixing a flat. It's more dangerous behind a car.

Jr. did 8 sessions this Spring, kind of the same principal as the overspeed treadmill training he did......pure gold. 

25 years ago the training group I was in did motor pacing about once a month.  There were usually 6-8 of us behind the bike.  It was a hoot.

2014-09-04 5:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yeah, a motorcycle or scooter, or someone going really really fast. 

I have motorpaced on the street, but motorpace weekly on our local velodrome. Sets are different speeds and different drills that are mostly track specific, but often we just do straight up motorpacing, i.e. 3 sets of 10 minutes at 50km/hr.

I've also motorpaced off a car, but that is usually just to get back into a group after fixing a flat. It's more dangerous behind a car.

Jr. did 8 sessions this Spring, kind of the same principal as the overspeed treadmill training he did......pure gold. 

25 years ago the training group I was in did motor pacing about once a month.  There were usually 6-8 of us behind the bike.  It was a hoot.

Yeah, it's fun to go so fast too!

Edited by jeng 2014-09-04 5:07 PM
2014-09-04 5:11 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Now that we've derailled the thread, kind of...

Motorpacing usually goes like this for me. Okay, this pace feels okay, then I keep moving up as others pull off the bike. Then I'm second wheel behind the bike and it feels pretty good, but I have to concentrate to make sure I use the other riders draft to my advantage and not get gapped when he pulls of the bike. Then it feels awesome being behind the bike. Are we really going 50? I could ride at this pace all day. Then it's my turn to pull off and I'm like, damn, do I really have to speed up to pass the bike and pull off, damn how am I going to do this. Okay, pulled off and got back on the group. Now it's tough and I wonder if I can maintain 50. I can't wait to be back behind the bike.

2014-09-04 10:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Now that we've derailled the thread, kind of...

Motorpacing usually goes like this for me. Okay, this pace feels okay, then I keep moving up as others pull off the bike. Then I'm second wheel behind the bike and it feels pretty good, but I have to concentrate to make sure I use the other riders draft to my advantage and not get gapped when he pulls of the bike. Then it feels awesome being behind the bike. Are we really going 50? I could ride at this pace all day. Then it's my turn to pull off and I'm like, damn, do I really have to speed up to pass the bike and pull off, damn how am I going to do this. Okay, pulled off and got back on the group. Now it's tough and I wonder if I can maintain 50. I can't wait to be back behind the bike.

Absolutely.....it's the "pulling off of the bike", and then not losing the line/bike, where the real work comes....it's almost frantic, as you describe.  Most people have no idea how fast you can actually ride in that vacuum of air......but your legs do.   As I've said before, Jr. rides a surprisingly small amount of miles compared to what the general "knowledge" calls for to be able to ride at the level he's at......but NEARLY  every single workout is tailored to build power. (almost always hard, once in a while easy?  HA!! )  Now, if only handling skills could be learned as easily. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-04 10:16 PM
2014-09-04 10:33 PM
in reply to: #5046255

User image

Franklin, TN
Yeh, I've been dropped when I pulled a little to long with the "A" group. It's still a work in progress for me knowing when to cycle out and still catch the last wheel. I know the answer is shorter pulls..I'll learn and/or get stronger while I'm figuring it out.
2014-09-04 11:37 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoelO Yeh, I've been dropped when I pulled a little to long with the "A" group. It's still a work in progress for me knowing when to cycle out and still catch the last wheel. I know the answer is shorter pulls..I'll learn and/or get stronger while I'm figuring it out.

You'll do both, and you'll be a better cyclist because of it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting or not during triainig rides? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Drafting / Not drafting

Started by pmcroome
Views: 1006 Posts: 8

2013-05-17 9:48 AM MattMem

To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Pages: 1 2

Started by technoyos
Views: 4053 Posts: 43

2014-09-03 1:08 AM zedzded

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3458 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Drafting during group rides....Am I wrong? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ballyard7
Views: 3445 Posts: 55

2010-04-22 6:31 AM jeffw85

drafting during swim?

Started by lonnyanddeanne
Views: 1709 Posts: 24

2009-08-17 2:50 PM DEMIGODKNIGHT
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.