United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 39s
Overall Rank = 8/50
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is a small local race. My wife and several friends participated. Pre race was a little different as we got our stuff ready and then just chummed around.
Event warmup:

I entered the water and swam a few hundred meters just to get warmed up. It was a very small field, so I felt pretty confident going into the swim.

There were three waves, every 5 minutes. There was no rhyme or reason to the wave starts....each wave was mixed with men/women and experienced/newcomers. I knew my friend Josh would be at the very front of the pack, and I wanted to race alongside him (thinking I would try to hold his wheel into T2 before he ran away from me. He was in wave #1 and I was in wave #3. They would not let me move waves. Oh well.

I waited for my wave and cheered on the early participants.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since I was feeling confident, I moved my way to the front of the group as we prepared to start. At the gun, I burst out into a sprint and was among the first 2-3. I was breathing every stroke (as I do when I am not relaxed).

After about 200 meters, I started to fade a bit and focused on settling in. At this point, I think was #3 in my wave so I just focused on keeping a steady effort.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I did not get my shoes buckled immediately so let one of them dangle a while. I was testing myself to see if noticed my foot slipping. No slipping. I could have rode the entire leg without the strap. Eventually, I did it.
Bike
  • 28m
  • 10 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

i jumped on the bike and started to hammer. Since the staggered waves were all over the place (in terms of talent) it was hard to tell where I stood overall. But I was chasing riders down very quickly. No one passed me. After the first lap, I started catching some faster looking bikes, so I figured I was doing ok.

At one point, I got caught behind a car that was creeping along (evidently unaware of a triathlon going on). In front of the car was 3-4 bikes that the car was trying to figure out how to handle. This slowed me down, as it was curvy and I did not want to pass the car, before overtaking 4 other riders (I didn't know if the car saw me and didn't know if they would be moving left to pass). So, I waited a bit and eventually the car pulled over and I jetted past.

I forgot to put my watch in multi-sport mode, but based on the data I have, I think I averaged about 21.5mph. Not bad considering the curvy course that required me to come out of aero frequently.

Nothing more to do. I had a solid effort but without anyone specific to chase, it was mainly just a matter of riding hard.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good T2

Nothing
Run
  • 19m
  • 2.4 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a good transition and started my run with another athlete already in my sights. I quickly ran by her before I felt a pull in my right calf. The start of a cramp! It didn't catch fully so I slowed a bit and tried to relax. I wished I had drank a bit more on the bike. Since it was such a short course, it was tough to remember to drink!

My watch beeped at the 1 mile mark, and I glanced down to see that the split was 7:45/mile. Not bad for me. That's a pretty quick mile. I tried to relax and keep the same effort.

At the turnaround point, I hit my "lap" button. I was concerned about getting run down by my buddy who was running his first triathlon.

After about 6 minutes I saw him. Knowing I was nearing the end of the run, and about 11-12 minutes ahead, my concern quickly went away.

Shortly after, I saw Jamie running. She was doing great.

In the closing quarter mile, I spotted two more runners. I knew I would run down the lady but wasn't sure about the other. Sure enough, I passed her but finished about 50 yards behind the other guy.

I think I finished the run averaging just under 8 minute miles.

Better hydration during the bike may have helped me run a little better without worrying about a cramp.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and quickly went to put a t-shirt on (that wasn't soaked with sweat). Then I headed to the finish line to watch everyone finish. My wife and friends soon crossed and I enjoyed watching tons of kids run across the finish line too.

After that, we had a pancake breakfast and we sat around and ate.

They gave awards and unsurprisingly, Josh finished 1st overall. As they announced the 3rd place athlete at 57min, I started to wonder. I started my watch at the beginning and at the finishe it showed right at 56 minutes. Hmm...did I somehow finish 2nd?

My name wasn't called. I checked the official results later and it showed 58:39. Not sure how my watch was so far off. No clue. And considering there was no chip timer or split times, it's tough to say were the difference lies. No big deal. I officially finished 8th overall.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There's not much I would change. It was mainly a fun race.

Event comments:

We had a great time at this race. It was a small-time, community affair. Most people knew each other. While I don't live in the gated community, it was fun to be a part of it. While it lacked many things bigger races have (trophies, medals, timing chips, better overall competition, swag) it offered some things those other events do not have that made it alot of fun. While not a big time event, lots of fun and a really nice "training" event.

Last updated: 2014-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 500 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle, clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:00 | 10 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Two loops around the lake. One good sized hill, many curves and open traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:00 | 02.4 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, with a couple of small rises.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-03 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Lake Quivira Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Quivira Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon

Started by sjhodgson
Views: 852 Posts: 1

2011-06-26 8:44 AM sjhodgson

Started by 3sportthing
Views: 1681 Posts: 3

2011-06-28 1:49 AM 3sportthing

Started by cullyatt
Views: 1093 Posts: 1

2005-08-29 8:06 AM cullyatt

Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon - 1st TRI

Started by devotchkatata
Views: 1600 Posts: 8

2005-06-28 5:40 PM Alpine87

Started by luv2ride
Views: 1880 Posts: 9

2005-07-01 8:04 AM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.