General Discussion Triathlon Talk » physical exhaustion 6 weeks from marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-09 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: physical exhaustion 6 weeks from marathon
Hey all,

I'm 13 weeks into a marathon training program and feeling physically drained even after a recovery week. Part of me feels that this is all part of training but my husband and I are using the same plan and he says he's not feeling the same effects so I'm worried maybe I am pushing too hard for me. For instance, my husband started to give me a calf massage the other night and I had to have him stop almost immediately because it was too painful. By miles 10 of my 13 mile recovery run this last Sunday I was dead. My goal was to pick up the pace the last three miles and even though I was mentally pushing myself and feeling like I had picked up the pace (targeting for 15-20 seconds faster), I was actually a good 20 seconds slower than my pace leading up to that point. it was even cool at about 75 degrees at that point. GAH!

Here are the details;
- I've been following Hal Higdon's Intermediate marathon program to a T with missing only one 8 mile run 1.5 weeks ago. Run miles for June, July, and Aug have been 101, 122, and 161, respectively.
- August has been HOT. Even in the Northeast and we vacationed in Hawaii (to get married) for the middle 2 weeks of August.
- This summer has been chaos. Playing single mom to 2 highly active kids (6 and 8), planning a wedding, very active 2 week trip to HI, moving the new husband in to my/our house, rolling right into a new school year.
- Despite the chaos, I have been focused on eating well and trying to sleep at least 8 hrs (although usually only 7).

I know it'd be easy to chalk it up to stress, heat, increasing miles in Aug too quickly (even if I was following the plan) but I'm looking for suggestions on what to do about it now? Continue to follow the plan hoping that things will turn? And just focus on sleep and maybe a sports massage? take a day or two off? Adjust the plan by reducing the number of miles this week? Plan calls for 5-, 8-, 5-, rest, 5- m pace, 20 this week.

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

2014-09-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: mighty mom

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Subject: RE: physical exhaustion 6 weeks from marathon
Sounds like you need to either improve recovery or reduce your training load.

Ways to improve recovery:

1) Eat more/better food. Cut out alcohol and inflammatory foods. Eat high glycemic foods right after a workout.
2) Sleep more. I find a short nap in the middle of the day helps when I'm feeling drained.
3) Promote blood flow to the damaged areas. Walking, massage, foam roller, heat pad.

Reduce your training load:

1) Run slower
2) Run less
3) Reduce other sources of stress in your life

2014-09-09 12:23 PM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

13 mile "recovery" run?

that doesn't sound right to me

2014-09-09 12:23 PM

User image

Pro

there are a hundred factors that might cause this.  Sleep, nutrition, physiology.  Training plans are, by their nature, for an average athlete.  Not everyone adapts at the same rate.

If it's not as you say- just a culmination of the stress in life, then My second guess is that, perhaps you are not doing your base mileage slow enough?  Do you run with a HR monitor, and are you watching your zones?

Chances are, that if you're feeling fatigued and sore- then injury is just around the corner if you don't back off.  Listen to your body first, and the training plan second.  

2014-09-09 12:26 PM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by pnwdan

Sounds like you need to either improve recovery or reduce your training load.

Ways to improve recovery:

1) Eat more/better food. Cut out alcohol and inflammatory foods. Eat high glycemic foods right after a workout.
2) Sleep more. I find a short nap in the middle of the day helps when I'm feeling drained.
3) Promote blood flow to the damaged areas. Walking, massage, foam roller, heat pad.

Reduce your training load:

1) Run slower
2) Run less
3) Reduce other sources of stress in your life

Do all of these, starting with 1) Run Less 2) Sleep more (7 hours is not enough for an athlete in training) 3) Eat highly nutritiously dense food in general ... then do all the rest.
2014-09-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

If it were me (I can only speak to my own experience as I don't know enough of your history) and if I felt as you describe, I would not enter into a 43 mile week per your plan.  You have had a lot of things going on in your life on top of a significant ramp up of mileage.  Sounds like a case of cumulative fatigue.  I'd scale back the miles this week, maybe repeat your recovery week.  Recovery and healing are a big part of getting stronger and faster. 

I agree that at your current rate you greatly increase your risk of injury.  The sore calf is telling you something.

2014-09-09 1:21 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Thanks all.

- I'm not worried about my HR/effort in my base runs. I haven't been running with a HR monitor while training for this marathon but I'm very in tune with my body and definitely not pushing there.
- I'm also very keen on eating properly while training. IM definitely taught me the importance of nutrition and have read several books on that topic.

I will agree that I think it's taking me longer to recover. I'll make it a point to increase sleep, maybe get a sports massage as well as do more (some) foam rolling, and scale back on miles this week. If I repeat last week's (week 12) recovery week this week (week 13) how do you think I should tackle these last 6 weeks? Do I...
a) eliminate the plan for week 13
b) eliminate another week from the plan
or
c) something else?

Here's the plan.
Week Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
13 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m pace 20
14 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 12
15 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m pace 20
16 Cross 5 m run 6 m run 5 m run Rest 4 m pace 12
17 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8
18 Cross 3 m run 4 m run Rest Rest 2 m run Marathon

Thanks again!
2014-09-09 2:28 PM

User image

Groton, New York
I've got my first marathon the first week of October. I wish I had that kind of mileage under my belt at this point in time. Life just sort of got in the way. I also came out of winter pretty overweight so....

March - 24 miles
April - 49 miles
May - 55 miles
June - 66 miles
July - 60 miles
August - 55 miles
September - 22 miles so far.

I think I'm gonna get my A$$ handed to me on October 5th.
2014-09-09 2:38 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by mighty mom

Thanks all.

- I'm not worried about my HR/effort in my base runs. I haven't been running with a HR monitor while training for this marathon but I'm very in tune with my body and definitely not pushing there.
- I'm also very keen on eating properly while training. IM definitely taught me the importance of nutrition and have read several books on that topic.

I will agree that I think it's taking me longer to recover. I'll make it a point to increase sleep, maybe get a sports massage as well as do more (some) foam rolling, and scale back on miles this week. If I repeat last week's (week 12) recovery week this week (week 13) how do you think I should tackle these last 6 weeks? Do I...
a) eliminate the plan for week 13
b) eliminate another week from the plan
or
c) something else?

Here's the plan.
Week Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
13 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m pace 20
14 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 12
15 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m pace 20
16 Cross 5 m run 6 m run 5 m run Rest 4 m pace 12
17 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8
18 Cross 3 m run 4 m run Rest Rest 2 m run Marathon

Thanks again!

I would replace 13 with 12 and move straight on to 14, skipping the first 20 mile run.
2014-09-09 3:30 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Have you ever had issues with low iron (specifically, ferritin, but also hemoglobin)?

Your symptoms sound like how I feel when I get iron-depleted. It could just be training load, but also think about checking other physiological issues.
2014-09-09 3:54 PM

User image

From my personal experience...

When I start to feel drained or worn down from training, it's usually a sign for me to take a day or two off & catch up on sleep. If I start seeing slower paces than normal at my regular perceived effort level, it is another sign telling me to take a day off & let my body rest.

You no doubt have time set aside to train during the next couple of days. Keep that time blocked off your schedule; but instead of going for a run, take a nap. It might take one day to feel refreshed...maybe 2 or 3. Don't feel bad about it...rest is an important part of training. Don't feel the need to "make up" the missed miles either. If you've been following the plan closely, a couple days off isn't going to hurt you & your recharged battery will put you in an even better position to tackle the last few weeks of training.

Of course, this is just what I've found works for me. I hope you find a good solution for you!

Good luck!

2014-09-09 5:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I totally understand how you're feeling. I was going through the same thing actually. I learned to sleep more and slow down my pace even more and lately the my runs have felt better. Alot of the suggestions in your thread are very good. That ramp up in mileage in August was surprising. I'm glad you didn't get yourself injured.

Have you felt this before training for your previous marathons? I'm assuming you've done some before because you are currently using Hal Hidgon's Intermediate marathon training plan.

Edited by kloofyroland 2014-09-09 5:11 PM
2014-09-10 6:36 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

New user
Key West
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Have you ever had issues with low iron (specifically, ferritin, but also hemoglobin)?

Your symptoms sound like how I feel when I get iron-depleted. It could just be training load, but also think about checking other physiological issues.

This is what I was thinking. Also, I have to tell you having done the Hidgon plan you are on for a June marathon, I truly think the long run mileage is too high based on the total weekly mileage. In other words, if a long run is 40 or 50% of total weekly mileage it is just too hard to recover from for many people. I am using a different plan now that is tough but because it is higher in overall mileage, the long run is no more than 25-30% of the total mileage. So, although I feel fatigued from high mileage and more speed, tempo and pace work, I don't have that huge hit with my long runs. Anyway, just another thought about the fatigue, but I would still get my iron level checked if I were you. That could partially account for the difference between you and your husband (which you shouldn't really compare yourself to anyway since no two athletes are the same).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » physical exhaustion 6 weeks from marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Exhaustion

Started by d3hampto
Views: 1110 Posts: 6

2010-11-08 2:18 PM trix

heat exhaustion

Started by jdotten
Views: 2608 Posts: 7

2010-10-14 3:51 PM Baowolf

good exhaustion

Started by gomom_shell
Views: 468 Posts: 2

2010-02-17 9:09 PM dinabean

can't shake the exhaustion.

Started by hummingberd
Views: 759 Posts: 6

2009-09-07 8:41 PM NC Runner

Overtraining and exhaustion

Started by crea0029
Views: 1376 Posts: 8

2009-05-08 1:41 PM rexcoltrain
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
comments : 0
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.