Set Up Events
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 23m 58s
Overall Rank = 90/301
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Slept at midnight. Wole up at 4am to have a light breakfast (Kashi granola bar, 140cal) and went back to bed til around 5:15. Arrived at race at 6:15 to check in and set up transition area. Ate a Gu Espresso Love gel at 6:40 (20 mins before start).
Event warmup:

Headed to the beach and got acclimated to the water, doing some strokes. Not much warmup to speak of.
Swim
  • 36m 15s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was very shallow so I walked for a while. The start wasn't too rough. The first right 90-degree turnw as about 100 yards toward the center of the river. At the turn, though, a competitor to my right was swimming behind me, and his left hand caught my shoulder during he crawl, stroke. He continued to grab my shoulder and pull me back. This startled me, and this ruthless move got me a bit angry, but I let him pass and continued my swim. I got a couple nasty scratches on the right side of my neck and my right shoulder from it, and it was stinging the whole race. The long portion of the swim, upriver, was a bit difficult to sight because there weren't very many orange sight buoys. I maintained a good pace throughout and felt good about the swim afterward. The sun was coming up right over the trees on the last left turn, a left-hand 90-degree turn toward the same beach we started at, and that made the swim finish difficult to see. Again, it was very shallow, so I got on my feet and jogged thru the water when it was about thigh-deep. Not wetsuit legal so I didn't wear one.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do differently. Once or twice I stopped freestyle stroke to gather my bearings, and I wiped my goggles a couple times too. If I could avoid these things I could shave a minute or two off my time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

The run up to the transition area was long and I was jogging at an easy pace. This gave me time to picture the transition in my head, and I was nearly flawless in that regard. I put some Gu gels in my back pocket before the swim, and the river took them. I didn't notice til I was on the bike.

I could run at a quicker pace.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 49s
  • 58 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode sockless, in tri shoes, with my shoes attached to the pedals at transition. I pedals over my shoes for maybe a half mile before putting em on. I need to get better at putting my shoes while riding. I did not attempt jumping on my saddle.

This was an easy, flat course with a few faux flats. I stayed within my comfort zone, hoping to perform better for the run. I began with 3 bottles of Powerade on my bike, and no gels or anything else. Since I forgot my gels, my nutrition was limited to energy drinks. I did not drink any water. With the 3 Powerades, I also grabbed 3 bottles of Gatorade along the ride (stops at 15,30, and 45, approx.). I made it a point to drink every 15 minutes, and I would guess I drank 20 oz. every half hour.

There was a little bit of noise coming from the front end of my bike. I got off my bike at stop 1 (15 mi in) to check it out but couldn't figure it out. I just glued a new tubular the Thus before the race on my front. Other than that, the bike performed and shifted well. No flats, luckily, because I didn't have a Pitstop in my saddle bag.

The liquids I consumed seemed adequate and I liked that it didn't weigh down my stomach. Near mile 45 I was getting some small twitches in my legs, so I'm guessing some electrolyte pills would've helped me here. Other than that, I should inspect my bike better before the race. In hindsight, I could've pushed for maybe a 19mph-19.5mph average.

Jump on saddle at start?
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Again, I kept it simple and didn't forget anything this time (my last tri I forgot to take off my helmet). I shoved 2 gels in my pocket.
Run
  • 2h 37m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

This is the first time my runnig muscles actually felt fresh coming off the bike! I felt great and was all smiles at the start of the run. Feeling good, I started at 9:00 pace, but backed off to 10:00 to try and save energy. I drank Heed at every stop (about 11), ate 2 Gu gels, around MM 4 and 9, and only drank water to chase the gels. Took a bathroom break at a portajohn around MM 4. Leg cramps were starting to kick in, but after taking Hammer Endurolyte pills around MM 6, my legs felt great. But that's when my knees started giving. They began hurting a little before halfway. My mile 8 I was having to stop and give me knees a rest, stretch, walk, etc. The first half of the run my pace was around 10:00. I ended around 12:00 pace overall, so I was crawling during the last few miles, and my knees were on fire.

Train more, train for longer distances. Wear my knee supports, or K-tape on my knees. Bring some Ibuprofen. Change everything!

It was a hot day, 95 degrees at the end of the run, and I think the heat affected everyone.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished, immediately sat down, threw an ice-cold towel over my face, and cried a bit! It took a few minutes before my knees could support me again. I sat at the finish for a good 5 minutes before I made my way to the tables. My fiancee grabbed my post-race pizza and I ate that along with some snacks and some more fluids. There wasn't a post-race headache that I usually suffer, so I believe my nutrition and my fluid intake was great. A personal best, in my opinion! After eating, I walked gingerly to the first aid tent to get my knees wrapped in ice. While there I spoke to and witnessed a bunch of DNF's and some dehydrated fellas. Poor guys. One guy had an IV in him, and his cramps were neverending. One other gentleman--a seasoned ultramarathoner--suffered heat exhaustion and had to drop out of the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running ability

Last updated: 2014-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:15 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 25/301
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:05:49 | 58 miles | 18.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 124/301
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:37:10 | 13.1 miles | 12m  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 106/301
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-09 11:13 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Subject: Patriots Half

2014-09-10 3:39 PM
in reply to: #5048301

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: RE: Patriots Half
Congratulations on a strong race on a crazy hot day! Way to stick it out when others were dropping out!
2014-09-18 4:55 PM
in reply to: gadgetlaw

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats Phil! A job well done
2014-09-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #5048301

User image

New user
Congrats on a job well done!
And that bike time is amazing!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriots Half Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Iron (+4 miles)

Started by DMW
Views: 2429 Posts: 12

2007-07-06 11:31 PM wieczynski

Patriot Half Iron

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 2651 Posts: 9

2007-07-05 3:54 PM c2fd

Patriot Half Iron

Started by summer_2005
Views: 2392 Posts: 8

2007-07-03 10:14 AM jpcan

Patriot Half Iron

Started by scottymack
Views: 1936 Posts: 5

2007-07-04 8:06 PM scottymack

Patriot Half Iron

Started by Celeb_ithil
Views: 2859 Posts: 13

2007-07-06 9:31 AM dexter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ā€˜09, with a HIM in Oct of ā€˜09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. Iā€™m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.