General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip/Leg Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-10 8:10 PM

Subject: Hip/Leg Pain
I've been having some trouble with my leg for the past month or so and I am having difficulty identifying the cause/source.

It's a tension starting half way down my thigh (on the outside) then expanding up into the back of my hip/upper glutes. The pain does not reach down to my knee.

I have tried different stretches (thread the needle, standing side stretch) and exercises (side leg lifts), as well as rolling and massage, but I can't quite seem to get at it. I thought it was my IT band, but I am not too sure that it is. I feel it when I run 5 or more miles, and it will seriously hurt. If I run less than that I don't feel it until 8-12 hours later. The pain/aching lasts for at least 2 days.

Any recommendations or experiences to help guide me in the right direction for this?

2014-09-11 4:54 AM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

Subject: RE: Hip/Leg Pain
What came to my mind:
1. Sciatic pain due to a bulging disc in your lumbar spine (worse with standing and sitting, relieved by walking)
2. Injury or fatigue of one of the thigh muscles
2014-09-11 8:34 AM
in reply to: #5048899

It's not the first, as it is worse with movement, running or walking.
And I have taken time off to let it stop hurting so I do not believe it is some kind of overuse/fatigue.

It may be a strength imbalance, but I haven't changed anything else that may have caused it.
2014-09-11 10:52 AM
in reply to: 0

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Sounds like Hip tendonitis/bursitis. When I doubt go to the doc, you don't want it to be a stress fracture etc.

I am 4 weeks in and ~ 4weeks form a marathon, Mine is from overuse, I was running almost daily and 50+ miles per week, I ran 18 days straight and some 2x's a day.

per the doc I have been running every 3 days, and adding 10 mins each run. I have been cycling a day in the two day break in the 1.5-2 hr range. I have been running one day, taking the next off then cycling the third. I am pain free, and plan on running the marathon, but I will only be able to get up to 2hrs max or running in before then My longest run was ~18 miles prior to the injury. I have been taking anti-inflammatory meds and icing the hip, and having a daily date with the foam roller.

Edited by GotBackup 2014-09-11 10:55 AM
2014-09-12 5:48 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Brooklyn, New York
My brother had this issue. TFL and abductor stretching & strength training while reducing running mileage helped. Maintaining balance and flexibility goes a long way with non-major injuries and their prevention.
Don't need medication. Accupuncture, turmeric, ginger and fish(oil) routinely assist & alleviate A LOT of training and strain-induced inflammation. That combination has built up much dust on my Alleve & Ibuprofen bottles, let alone prescriptions.
2014-09-12 8:51 PM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

Thank you thank you thank you for the advice and information!

I have a doctor appointment in the future, but in the meantime, I am doing some hip exercise to strengthen the area.

Something in my hip/glute is the problem, and I found some new stretches that are helping to alleviate some of the pain.

Thank you again for your wisdom

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip/Leg Pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cycling creates hip and back of knee pain only on right leg

Started by swmrgrl
Views: 3965 Posts: 7

2009-10-05 8:46 PM merlin2375

Hip, leg, and knee

Started by aswimr
Views: 828 Posts: 1

2009-03-19 7:01 AM aswimr

Hip/Leg heat and numbness

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1373 Posts: 3

2014-09-21 4:20 AM midessa7

HIP Pain is a Pain in the Butt!

Started by Mamamia1
Views: 1283 Posts: 6

2007-05-04 2:24 PM runner

Clicking/ popping hips and hip pain

Started by Clare44
Views: 2794 Posts: 4

2013-06-27 10:46 AM jdevito20
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I am experiencing hip flexor pain. I hurt it two weeks ago during a race and it's bothered me ever since. Do you have suggestions on how to prevent problems or how to cure it?

date : April 22, 2009
A lot of groin pain has led me to many radiological exams. Doing NO running or biking for a month helped, but as soon as I ease back into training, symptoms return.
date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : May 12, 2008
During a "power yoga" session I noticed pain with hip adduction/internal rotation. Running and biking don't seem to bother it, as long as I don't push it. I still have achy pain with walking.
date : February 11, 2008
Is my childhood groin injury to blame for my recent pain while running? It just hurts when I'm running, not during day to day activities.

date : January 14, 2008
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.
date : January 14, 2008
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?

date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.