General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMs not Selling Out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-12 8:22 AM

User image

Subject: IMs not Selling Out?
So I am currently planning to go volunteer at IMTN because I was worried about it selling out for 2015 (based on the registration disaster last year). But Wisconsin, Lousiville, and others are still open and I'm thinking that maybe hanging around until Monday is not going to be necessary any more. I'm still going to volunteer (if nothing else, to scope out the scene and help out), but not having to take vacation on Monday after the race would be helpful. Any thoughts?

2014-09-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: stephkh

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: IMs not Selling Out?
I'm thinking about Louisville as well and noticed Wisconsin was still open. Curious....
2014-09-12 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
MA

It's always a risk to leave but clearly this year IMs aren't selling out as fast as they have in the past. Only LP sold out quickly.

I'd go home if I was okay with doing another race if I couldn't get in or were willing to cough up extra for community slot. If those two options were not acceptable I'd stay and register.

2014-09-12 8:37 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

I originally had my heart set on Chattanooga, but with the date change in Louisville, it's much (MUCH) more appealing now...
2014-09-12 8:41 AM

Originally posted by stephkh

I originally had my heart set on Chattanooga, but with the date change in Louisville, it's much (MUCH) more appealing now...

I think this has to do with it. There are a lot more options fairly close together. So people who might go to Wisconsin now have Louisville or Chattanooga fairly close next year. So there's no super rush to sign up so you can do a late season IM because now you have multiple options vs only a couple.
2014-09-12 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by stephkh

So I am currently planning to go volunteer at IMTN because I was worried about it selling out for 2015 (based on the registration disaster last year). But Wisconsin, Lousiville, and others are still open and I'm thinking that maybe hanging around until Monday is not going to be necessary any more. I'm still going to volunteer (if nothing else, to scope out the scene and help out), but not having to take vacation on Monday after the race would be helpful. Any thoughts?

We have reached the point of saturation, and probably the continual price increases have slowed down registration. What surprises me is even with IMLP being the most expensive probably since you are required to basically stay for the entire week it sells out. Back in 2010 we had about 10 NA IM's in total and only 4 outside of Kona from August-Novemeber. Now we have have 4 just in the month of September alone (IMWI, IMMD, IMLT, IMCHATT). IMWI is a usually day of sell out and its still open, its been a few days but the high demand isn't there. I suspect Florida and Arizona will sell out immediately, but now the consumer finally has the advantage. You now have choices, don't have to sign up 365 in advance and prices will probably stop increasing.

If you can't do Chattanooga you could also do Louisville or Maryland, again many options near the area.

2010 (10)
IMSTG
IMCDA
IMLP
IMLOU
IMCA (Penticton)
IMWI
KONA
IMFL
IMAZ
IMCOZ

2015 (16)
IMTX
IMCDA
IMLP
IMCA (Whistler)
IM Boulder
IMMT
IM Muskoka
IMWI
IMMD
IMLT
IMCHATT
Kona
IM Los Cabos
IMFL
IMAZ
IMOCZ

2014-09-12 9:35 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Is there a way to find out how many open spots remain for IM Louisville 2015? Specifically, how long to make up my mind if I want to sign up before it sells out. Trying to coordinate this race with a relative and it could take a month before I am ready to sign up. I just don't want to miss the boat.
2014-09-12 10:09 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
I thought IMMd will sell out fast since the course is flat and weather is nice its still open . I am registered for IMTX i doubt it will close sooner than last year.

2014-09-12 11:09 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Chicago, IL

If i recall correctly, it took 9 days for Wisconsin to sell out last year.
Louisville didn't sell out until a couple weeks before the race, the year I did it.

IMAZ and IMFL both sold out in <3 minutes, assuming there were any spots available for online registration at all.

I think the date move will help IMLOU sell out much faster.

2014-09-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
So now instead of IM's selling out 365 days prior to the race and them selling out 335-360 days prior it is considered saturation?

Most my non-IM races I don't sign up until a week out and sometimes the day of the race.
2014-09-12 11:35 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by strykergt

I thought IMMd will sell out fast since the course is flat and weather is nice its still open . I am registered for IMTX i doubt it will close sooner than last year.

with 75 Kona slots now I suspect it will go faster

2014-09-12 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
I have been going back and forth if I should sign up for IM WI. It is the closest to me but still have not decided if I am ready to commit to that distance.

Looking at the results I am disappointed in the number of DNS. For a race that sells out so fast to have that many DNS is sad for all the people who want to race it but can't because of it being sold out.

500 people out of 2800 either DNS or DNF.

Any reason for a ton of DNS and is this usual for IM races?

Edited by trying2swim 2014-09-12 12:53 PM
2014-09-12 1:46 PM
in reply to: trying2swim

User image

Elite

My two cents....though I do not think we have reached saturation with the addition of other races and the movement in the calendar people do not need to sign up as quickly...Yes IMLP sold out fast but still a lot slower than prior years. If I remember correctly it was open til wed or thursday.

Also do not discount CHALLENGE AC.  Though some minor issues that as per RD's are going to be resolved it got overall great reviews and it is in the north east region also.  And with last weeks merger/aquisition they will be a player for awhile and would not be surprised if additional 140.6 races are coming soon from them.

2014-09-12 2:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by strykergt I thought IMMd will sell out fast since the course is flat and weather is nice its still open . I am registered for IMTX i doubt it will close sooner than last year.

Maybe very slightly faster...Kona spots only apply to about 7% of the people that register.  They could up the Kona spots to 100 and I don't think it would make that much of a difference in registration.  For 250ish people it would...but the other 2750 people are still going to decide the same way they always decide.

2014-09-12 2:18 PM
in reply to: trying2swim

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by trying2swim I have been going back and forth if I should sign up for IM WI. It is the closest to me but still have not decided if I am ready to commit to that distance. Looking at the results I am disappointed in the number of DNS. For a race that sells out so fast to have that many DNS is sad for all the people who want to race it but can't because of it being sold out. 500 people out of 2800 either DNS or DNF. Any reason for a ton of DNS and is this usual for IM races?

15% DNS rate is typical.

2014-09-12 2:25 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by trying2swim I have been going back and forth if I should sign up for IM WI. It is the closest to me but still have not decided if I am ready to commit to that distance. Looking at the results I am disappointed in the number of DNS. For a race that sells out so fast to have that many DNS is sad for all the people who want to race it but can't because of it being sold out. 500 people out of 2800 either DNS or DNF. Any reason for a ton of DNS and is this usual for IM races?

15% DNS rate is typical.

Except Chattanooga, apparently everyone is breaking their collarbones 3 weeks from the race. Add in the shortened race time, 116 mile bike ride, I am curious to see what % that signed up finish that race, especially that it seems to be full of first-timers and/or bucket-listers.

2014-09-12 2:27 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by strykergt I thought IMMd will sell out fast since the course is flat and weather is nice its still open . I am registered for IMTX i doubt it will close sooner than last year.

Maybe very slightly faster...Kona spots only apply to about 7% of the people that register.  They could up the Kona spots to 100 and I don't think it would make that much of a difference in registration.  For 250ish people it would...but the other 2750 people are still going to decide the same way they always decide.

Yes and no. Kona slots don't in actuality affect that many people, but far more think they have a chance going in when they really don't. But being so early in the season and in Houston, that basically cuts out all cold climate athletes.
2014-09-12 2:29 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by FELTGood

My two cents....though I do not think we have reached saturation with the addition of other races and the movement in the calendar people do not need to sign up as quickly...Yes IMLP sold out fast but still a lot slower than prior years. If I remember correctly it was open til wed or thursday.

Also do not discount CHALLENGE AC.  Though some minor issues that as per RD's are going to be resolved it got overall great reviews and it is in the north east region also.  And with last weeks merger/aquisition they will be a player for awhile and would not be surprised if additional 140.6 races are coming soon from them.

Nah, I think Challenge/Rev 3 should just focus on short-course markets. That is where WTC has dropped the ball and they could really capitalize. They might pump out a few more IM's but they need higher registration numbers for it to be sustainable long-term. Even with the slow registration of WTC races now, its simple because there are more racks to fill, not as much of a loss of interest. I still think WTC has a firm grip on the full distance races and will for quite some time.
2014-09-12 3:02 PM

User image

Elite

Nah, I think Challenge/Rev 3 should just focus on short-course markets. That is where WTC has dropped the ball and they could really capitalize. They might pump out a few more IM's but they need higher registration numbers for it to be sustainable long-term. Even with the slow registration of WTC races now, its simple because there are more racks to fill, not as much of a loss of interest. I still think WTC has a firm grip on the full distance races and will for quite some time.

IM/WTC is not going anywhere especially in the US since they have had 35 + years of unimpeded marketing that has enamored everyone but with Challenge having 11 IM races Worldwide and growing (3 currently in NA) and they seem to be paying there pros across the board and not just  the top better than IM they are going to continue to grow and have more interest as time goes on.

Challenge will put a dent into the market share. Not saying Challenge will be the leader in 140.6, but they are a proven European and Asian brand and just recently making in roads with the US market.

Personally when people get their IM/WTC experience under their belt they are going to be open to trying the CHallenge brand

Edited by FELTGood 2014-09-12 3:05 PM
2014-09-12 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'll gladly discount Challenge AC until proven otherwise.  There were what... 500 people that did the full?  Doesn't 1/3 of the population of the US live within a couple hours drive from there and they pulled 500.  Word of mouth after the race was mixed at best.  Not sure where you got great reviews from.  Super tough swim and an uncontrolled run course will not have people clamoring to do the race.  My guess is #'s actually go down next year.

Challenge should stick to halfs and olys in North America.  They have no chance against WTC at the 140.6 distance.  They don't have much of a chance at the 70.3 distance either but people are more apt to do a non-WTC HIM than a non-WTC IM.  They're a good alternative at 70.3, they're not even in the discussion from a 140.6 standpoint.  #'s for Penticton and AC are a joke.

Challenge can and should compete with WTC in Europe and Asia for the 140.6 market. The Ironman brand isn't as synonymous with triathlon in those places as it is in North America.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-09-12 4:02 PM
2014-09-12 4:20 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
I knw its too early to tell if this races will sell out, excpt for IMLT the registration numers are low rumors are there may not be IMLT 140.6 next year. i am wondering since WTC s $220+M in debt are they compelled to expand just thinking

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-12 4:22 PM

2014-09-12 5:56 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

IM/WTC is not going anywhere especially in the US since they have had 35 + years of unimpeded marketing that has enamored everyone but with Challenge having 11 IM races Worldwide and growing (3 currently in NA) and they seem to be paying there pros across the board and not just  the top better than IM they are going to continue to grow and have more interest as time goes on.

Challenge will put a dent into the market share. Not saying Challenge will be the leader in 140.6, but they are a proven European and Asian brand and just recently making in roads with the US market.

Personally when people get their IM/WTC experience under their belt they are going to be open to trying the CHallenge brand

They couldn't even pay all the pros since so few joined. I think there money maker is in the olympic/70.3 distance.
2014-09-13 1:22 AM

The bucket list folk are moving onto other sports.
2014-09-13 1:17 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

As a primarily sprint/ olympic distance participant I would love more quality races of those distances.  The local tri scene is managed by two companies in my area. One has ultra boring courses that I am tired of cause I have raced them a good bit and the other has a race director that is not worth two cents.  I dislike her as a person and her courses even more. (with the exception of one race that I love the course of but refuse to do because it's her race)

2014-09-13 2:04 PM
in reply to: #5049359

User image

Elite
There were about 700 at challenge....geez it was only the first race in the US and it was not announced till September when many were committed to other races....look at other challenge races around the world. They are here to stay and To compete...and no I do not work for them

I was there and can vouch for the race and it had some rough edges that they are working on but for a first year it was great.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMs not Selling Out? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Which IMs don't sell out?

Started by yazmaster
Views: 2388 Posts: 21

2012-08-01 8:30 AM davetib

Ironman 70.3 sell-outs

Started by Wesley12
Views: 969 Posts: 4

2011-09-24 11:33 PM GoodStash

Which IM races do NOT sell out......

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1567 Posts: 20

2011-06-27 4:09 PM tcovert

sold bike, bike not in yet, broke other bike...depressed

Started by anth0424
Views: 1214 Posts: 7

2009-03-01 9:05 AM zeroviz

Surprised IMFL 09 not sold out yet...

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2008-11-02 7:00 PM tri_d00d
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
comments : 0
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout