Pirahna Sports
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 8s
Overall Rank = 87/478
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/51
Pre-race routine:

I got up about 4:50 am, had a pb&j bagel, gatoradew/water and stretched a bit. I woke up the rest of my family, and headed off to Bear, Delaware that is, swimmin fools, and triathletes.
Event warmup:

Not much, since there was a log jam going through packet pick up. I ran into
a few athletes I have met at other races.
Swim
  • 14m 6s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out strong, and planned to draft off of my arch rival, Howard Levine, to conserve energy. I have been less than 30 seconds behind this guy
most races, and I was chomping at the bit to beat him. I was a little dissapointed with my time, because I wanted to be out of the water in 13 minutes, according to my game plan.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I felt strong the whole way. My navigation was off a little, and I was finding myself a little way off to the right a few time. I have not put much time into swimming this year, because it is my strongest sport, and my shoulder is not 100% since my accident in April.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I was pretty happy with my time. I moved through with a lot of purpose, and I had my game face on.

nada
Bike
  • 54m 14s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 21.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a comfortably hard effort going here. I passed a lot of people, and only a few passed me. I tried to maintain about 23 mph here, do to some slow spots going out of and back into transition. I noticed I forgot my aero bottle while driving to the race, so I had to use a standard drink bottle. Idid not let this effect me. I wanted to avg 22.0 mph to stay on track with my overall race time goal. I even used my swing leg dismount after I took my feet out of my shoes. My wife was pretty impressed with this, as I blew by a lot of people who were fumbling around.

nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

As I said, I used the swing leg over dismount and rode with both feet on one side. I felt very cool and professional doing this. I have been practicing this a lot, and I know it saved a lot of time, because I have never had a T2 close to a minute!!!

nada
Run
  • 21m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming off the bike and T2 I was feeling great, but I was 38 seconds behind my goal time of 1:10. I figured I had to run 23 minutes(about a 7:30mile) to come in under 1:33.00. I got to the first mile marker at 6:30 wow, I thought, but I figure the marker was off a little. My legs felt very strong like my first race when I ran a 7:25 pace, so at this point I knew I would beat my time goal. At the turn around I was 11:30 on pace, feeling stronger now, and still passing many others. Finally at the last mile I chased down another guy in my age group. I asked him to turn on the jets, and we ran at vomit speed for the last 1/2 mile of the race. I was jacked
up when I crossed the line in 1:32.08!! It hit me then when I realized I ran a 21.32 5K, and less than a 7min mile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nada
Post race
Warm down:

nothing realy, I just had some gatorade and water. My family and I headed over to NorthEast,MD to have some crabs at Woodys. D-training(Dave) stopped by to say hello.

Event comments:

This is the third year in a row that I have done this race. The course is probably one of my favorites. Overall, I was extremely pleased with my time, impoving 8 minutes from last year. I still am almost shocked that I ran under a 7 min mile pace. It was my long-term (2+ years) to run this fast. It will be very difficult to top that. Now, I have to work on getting faster on the bike!

Last updated: 2006-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:06 | 880 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 40/478
Performance: Average
Suit: none per USAT rules
Course: dog leg left. The swim time included a short run to transition.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:14 | 19.5 miles | 21.57 mile/hr
Overall: 124/478
Wind: Little
Course: loop, very flat and fast. I love this course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:32 | 03.1 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 166/478
Course: out and back through the woods on grass, and gravel. I love this course because it is shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-17 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: Lums Pond Triathlon

2006-08-18 7:36 AM
in reply to: #515222

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Lums Pond Triathlon
Great race and RR.  You kicked the run, and 8 MINUTES off last years' time?!??!  Fantastic!  Where did Howard finish?  Smile

Edited by c_cic 2006-08-18 7:37 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lums Pond Triathlon Rss Feed