REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 13m 33s
Overall Rank = 153/223
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

This was a 2 transition race, plus you had to do packet pick up, and drop your bike off the day before, so it made the logistics a little complicated. One hour, 15 minute drive from home, so I decided not to stay over. Drove over after work Saturday afternoon with my wife, took care of business, then we went out for a nice dinner. Got a chance to drive the course which was helpful.

Race day up at 3:30, and on the road by 3:45. Usual shake about 2 and a half hours before start. Set up T2, then got on the school bus for the 13 mile ride to the swim start.

Checked my bike and found that both front and rear calipers were not always springing back all the way open and rubbing a tiny bit. That never happened before. Maybe from being out all night in transition and it rained?

Cup of coffee with cream about half an hour before the start. I used to have a "5 Hour Energy" before races, but this year I've been having coffee just like I do before my long training rides and runs. Seems to work well.
Event warmup:

Mostly just putting on the wetsuit and walking down to the water.
Swim
  • 44m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

A little disappointed in my swim, I think I was too cautious. Didn't want to go too hard, so I ended up just splashing along nice and easy like a happy little duck. I really do love OWS, so sometimes I get a little too relaxed, and this was one of those times. Got out of the water breathing barely harder than resting. C'mon man! It's a race!

The good part is I navigated very well, which I sometimes have trouble with. Also, I've been using a sleeveless wetsuit this year, and I've decided I like it better than sleeves. Maybe it's slower, but I like the feeling of cool water on my arms. I always felt too hot in full sleeves.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder, like it's a race.
Transition 1
  • 06m 37s
Comments:

Long run from the water to T1, plus we had to put our swim stuff in a bag so they could transport it to the finish line.

Since it was upper 40's maybe 50 degrees out, lots of people were putting on gloves, jackets or arm warmers and stuff. I decided to not put on anything extra which worked out just fine. I did dry myself off more than usual, which also added some time to this transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 59m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Since we had to drop our bikes off the day before, I got to pre drive the course and i mentally divided it into 3 sections:

1. The first 4 or 5 miles, mostly downhill, and very fast. One especially long steep descent that made me nervous, since I'm a big chicken. A guy on Rev3's Facebook said when he pre-rode the course he hit over 50 without trying. I don't like going 50. 35 or 40 is OK if I'm familiar with the road. Well I got down the hill OK riding the brakes most of the way, and with lots of people just whizzing by me. Certainly lost a few minutes there.

2. About 40 miles of rollers on an out and back with nice pavement. Mostly big ring, but a few small ring climbs. I liked this part. You could just cruise along nicely. Tried to have a good effort without going too hard. Did well, and passed more people than passed me. Felt the back brake rubbing about mile 15, so stopped to fix it. Took probably less than a minute.

3. The last 10 miles was technical. Lots of steep, but short climbs and descents, curves, and some bad pavement. Plus a bear. I didn't see the bear, but some other people did. I liked this section a lot. I don't mind steep descents when they're short, and you can see where they end. Some of the climbs were steep enough that I was glad I had my 34/28 granny gear. The shade was nice and cool as well.

All in all, a great ride. My fastest HIM split ever, but I didn't go so hard that I would pay for it on the run. The cool weather helped a lot.

Not be a chicken? My bike is smooth as silk and handles great. I should trust it and myself more on those fast hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Pretty good. Thought my feet might be a little cold, but they were fine.
Run
  • 2h 21m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Was concerned about the run since I was under trained. Since a March HM, my longest run was 8 miles. Thought I would struggle after about 3 miles, but held together pretty good until about mile 8. Some walking but not too much.

About mile 9 or 10, a guy with a 59 on his calf passed me. I caught him back when he took a walk break. Told him we were in the same AG, so we would have to race. He laughed and said he knew. We had a nice, friendly chat. Turns out he had one knee replacement, and ACL surgery in the other knee. Dang! Old dude rocks! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to keep up with him, and he beat me by about 5 minutes.

Really enjoyed this run. The hilly, quiet country roads were just like my training routes, and the trail run part near the river was really nice as well. Plus, it was cool, shady and breeze. There were times when the breeze would blow, and I would actually feel cool. Nice!

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, and chatted with some of the new friends I had made on the course. A local micro brewery was giving one free draft, so I had a nice Porter. Outstanding!

Packed up and left pretty quickly, to get home as soon as possible.

Rev3 gives a little receipt slip with your results on it. Too bad I didn't look at it (no reading glasses) because it turns out I was 3rd of only 5 in my AG. Would have stayed for the awards had I known. Never in a million years would I have thought that I placed!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, chicken on fast descents.

Event comments:

This was mu first Rev3 event and they really do put on a great race. Hopefully they'll be even better getting together with Challenge. I will certainly do one of their races whenever I get a chance.

Last updated: 2014-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:34 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 150/223
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:25 | 56 miles | 18.73 mile/hr
Overall: 128/223
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:21:13 | 13.1 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 145/223
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. First and last 4 miles hilly roads. Middle 5 miles flat mostly gravel trail. Plenty of shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-19 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Rev3 Pocono Mountains - Half Rev

2014-09-20 9:25 AM
in reply to: #5052070

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rev3 Pocono Mountains - Half Rev

Congratulations on the AG place!

Rev3 does a good job on their events.  O love getting the post race receipt.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Pocono Mountains - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev

Started by alex jb
Views: 1629 Posts: 1

2011-08-02 12:57 PM alex jb

Rev3 Portland - Half Rev

Started by ryjammers
Views: 1443 Posts: 2

2012-05-31 12:06 PM Seren

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by DEFYINGRAVITY
Views: 1606 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:09 AM DEFYINGRAVITY

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1650 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:33 AM rafikichapman

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2023 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race