General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sandman Tri VA Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-22 8:59 AM

Subject: Sandman Tri VA Beach
I have only done two sprint triathlons with the same company, so excuse my questioning if this is normal. I was in Virginia beach on Saturday for an airshow. When we got to our hotel I noticed a sign that said the road would be closed for a triathlon on Sunday morning. I was kind of excited, being new to this sport, that I could watch the ocean swim from my room on the 9th floor. I walked onto the patio a little before first wave start time. There were a few people stretching on the beach and warm up swimming. I noticed that there were no buoys in the water. There were three safety boats out past the breakers. Then a truck pulled up with kayaks and paddle boards. An atv pulled up with the first buoy. Someone swam it out, and as soon as they dropped it, they started the first wave. The safety people with kayaks and paddle boards were still on the beach. The buoy to mark the turn back into the beach was not put in place until the first wave was halfway done the swim. My question is, is this normal for an ocean swim? I understand that you are swimming parallel to shoreline, but how do you sight when the buoy isn't there until you are almost halfway done? I would really like to do this race next year if it falls on same weekend as airshow, but the last minute hurrying to get set up has me concerned. I understand that the swim direction was probably changed due strong winds and current. Why do they not set up 3 buoys ahead of time and then use the 2 that they need when the get a read on the wind/current? Just seemed from my point of view(rookie) that the whole start process was very rushed and not very safe.

2014-09-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: TriScott00

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Sandman Tri VA Beach
That was not normal, all buoy's, kayak's, lifeguards should be in place before the first wave starts.
2014-09-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: TriScott00

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
I was in the race. I noted the fact that they didn't have buoys in the water at about 0630 or so. I mentioned to a few other racers that it didn't bode well that the buoys weren't out, and they all agreed. It was only 30 minutes to gun time before they even announced that the swim would happen. I was in the restroom and didn't hear the announcement... I figured it out when I came out and there were literally hundreds of people putting on wetsuits. :-)

I really hope, for the sake of anyone doing the race next year, that the promoter get's its act together before the next race. I will save my money (and the pain of navigating Virginia Beach), and abstain from that race for the rest of my racing career.

I noticed quite a few visitors watching from their balconies. I liked that, so I'd like to take the following space to thank you for being one of those people. Thanks.
2014-09-27 5:43 PM
in reply to: #5052723

User image

Regular
Did the race as well. I can only assume they waited up till race time to make the most informed decision. I was surprised the swim went off but elated. The race is during the peak of hurricane season and the swim is canceled as often as held. Had no problem with the late call. Had plenty of time to put on my wetsuit. Was definitely a very challenging swim but being a triathlete I'm always bummed when the swim is canceled though it's usually the right call when it happens.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sandman Tri VA Beach Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vacationing in VA Beach need 112 mile bike route please

Started by chevy57
Views: 995 Posts: 5

2010-07-20 11:42 AM wbayek

Power training seminars with Hunter Allen - VA Beach, VA

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 818 Posts: 5

2007-09-26 10:55 AM instigator

lake anna, va tri's

Started by donpett
Views: 1305 Posts: 9

2007-04-06 8:11 AM Jomwilli

Charlottesville Sprint Tri VA

Started by djprogress
Views: 658 Posts: 4

2005-05-18 11:00 AM Martinivixen

Breezy Point Tri, Norfolk VA

Started by 3558
Views: 707 Posts: 3

2004-12-28 6:46 PM megerj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.