General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Tempe - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Tri Tempe - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Life Time Triathlon Series
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 36s
Overall Rank = 40/510
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/42
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal for breakfast

I am coming off an injury to my right foot. It happened about 5 weeks ago. I tore my ligaments and fascia on the upper part of my foot during a training run. There was no warning from the foot. Just twinge and could no longer run and barely walk. I have been biking about 4 times per week. My swimming training was KAPUT on Aug. 9th... so, I was stuck with biking and strength training.
Event warmup:

Did some light mobility movements to get energized. I felt blah from the start.
Swim
  • 27m 19s
  • 1730 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a decent swim, considering that I had not swam since the last race on Aug. 11th. OUR LOCAL POOL CLOSED on Aug. 9th for the season.

Swim was long for an olympic distance race,... 1730 meters or 1.075-08 miles, actual swim time from start to stars in water was 26.5... a properly measuered course would have resulted in a 23, which would be a PR.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

An ok T1... one thing I realized on the bike immediately, I forgot to take off the speedsuit completely, it was still around my waist, the top part undone.
Bike
  • 59m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 25.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode with the speedsuit on my lower part. I dont' think it affected my speed too much, though it was less aerodynamic having the extra bulk.

It happened to me for the first time. I FELT FLAT, I had no lungs or legs. I was in pain the whole ride.

I did the AZ State TT last Sunday and got a 41:40 for 30km - on a weather-shortened course, or a projected 55:40 on a 40km , my body may not have been fully recovered from that effort... I felt like shit the whole ride. My goal was in the 58's, not even close.

The traffic was hurrendous, the lanes were tight and I had to slow down continuously to wait to pass or make dangerous passes. It was ridiculous.

Time calculated as mount to dismout lines, official time with running from timing mat to timing mat at 1:00:34, fastest time in ag.

Stats:

289 avg. power / 305 NP
25.1 mph
IF: .93

My FTP is 330 as of last Sunday, my FTP speed is 27mph. This ride was slightly below my plan, I was just in pain and discomfort, I was hoping to avg. 26mph. Doing a ride at such a low speed shouldn't feel like I was doing a full TT.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I was trumped after the ride, just felt like shit. I stood there half bent over trying to recover before the run.
Run
  • 50m 19s
  • 6.39 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Due to the injury about 5 weeks ago, I had not run at all. My foot was feeling stronger this week and I did 2 light, 3 mile jogs. My goal was to be somewhere between 45 to 50 minutes for this race. I got the highside b/c the course was longer at 6.39 miles, if it was 6.2, I would have been at 49 minutes.

It took a while for my legs to feel OK after the bike. I was doing light strides out of the gate, going very slow... everyone was passing me... about on the 2nd mile, my legs came back and my pace quickened. The foot felt OK, but I can't take a full pwerfull stride on it. I ran at about inbetween an IM and HIM pace,... high Z2. I also stopped at every aid station to cool down. It didn't help the overall time and probably added an extra minute. It was hot and humid.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A foot injury, improper peak and taper due to a race the previous weekend.

When I plan my races, I always assume the course is properly marked to the distance... it's frustrating to show a higher time b/c of longer course distances... so a conversion to proper length for me is neccessary to know how far away from my plan... conversion time was approx. - 2:18... it would be a PR for the Oly distance, but nothing great. I was aiming for a sub 2:15, closer to 2:10... fully healed and feeling better, I know I would have been at least 5 minutes faster overall.

Event comments:

Good race

Last updated: 2013-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:19 | 1730 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/42
Overall: 15/510
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Speedsuit
Course: A rectangular out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:29 | 24.85 miles | 25.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/42
Overall: 6/510
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 loops around Tempe Town Lake area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:50:19 | 06.39 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/42
Overall: 0/510
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 x loops around Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: Life Time Tri Tempe - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Tempe - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life Time Tri Trinona - International Course

Started by bjones101071
Views: 856 Posts: 1

2013-06-12 8:37 AM bjones101071

Started by DTraitor
Views: 1399 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 9:32 PM DTraitor

Started by BloomingRunner
Views: 2000 Posts: 4

2013-06-10 10:12 PM PBrr

Started by tmvolk00
Views: 1054 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 7:22 PM tmvolk00

Started by tmvolk00
Views: 835 Posts: 1

2013-05-28 5:05 PM tmvolk00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.