World Triathlon Corporation
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 50m 42s
Overall Rank = 641/1943
Age Group = F60-64
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 a.m. to meet Linda R. at the commuter lot at Neshaminy Mall at 4:30. We arrived at the race site in plenty of time. We were worried about a long line to enter Mercer County Park but we were good, arriving at 5:00. I had terrible stomach distress before the race. I learned not to eat chili with beans as a pre-race meal. I'm assuming that is why I felt so bad. I can't even count the number of porta pottie trips I made. I was seriously worried. As we lined up for the start, I was okay (luckily). We were in the 11th wave...ugh!! It could've been worse--there were 22 waves.

Swim
  • 34m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lucked out and found some good feet to follow. At first, I thought she was swimming too slowly, but then I realized that drafting was making it much easier for me. I didn't have to pick the way. We quickly caught caps from the wave which started 4 min. ahead and then some from the wave before that. After the final turn on the rectangular course, there were lots of people and it got kind of hectic. Then someone in a pale blue cap punched me in the side of my face.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Best 1.2 mile swim in a long time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers were awesome! That was a time saver.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 17s
  • 57 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

What can I say about this bike course? Dangerous, treacherous...I was happy to finish cleanly. I saw 8 flats within the first 4 miles. I came upon a few crashes, one guy needing the ambulance. They had cones lining the bike lane and it seemed too narrow to me. There was not enough room to pass. The road conditions on the first 10 and last 10 miles were horrendous. The middle section was rather pleasant. I wasn't sure of the aid stations because they weren't marked accurately on the map. However, maybe if I had gone to the mandatory pre-race meeting, they might have mentioned them.

I ran over a piece of tape and it stuck to my tire and flapped for the last 20 miles. That was really annoying.

Consumed on the bike: Clif Bloks, 1 choc. power bar, 1 GU. I only took 3 Endurolytes during the ride. I drank one short bottle of water and tossed that at the first aid station. I had 2 bottles of Gatorade with me. I picked up 2 bottles of water from the course and only drank about one completely. I had to store that in the back of my pants. I was afraid of it falling out of my back bottle holder.

Speaking of bottle holders: I launched one of my bottles on the railroad tracks coming back. Luckily, that was the one that tasted like soap. I wasn't disappointed.

Transition 2
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

Came in off the bike and had to pee really badly. The Linda R trick worked really well again.

Changed my socks and put my visor on. I did not wear sunglasses for the run.
Run
  • 1h 59m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt some cramping pretty soon into the run. I took 3 Endurolytes. I had a GU at about 6 miles. I started drinking the Perform and even tried the Coke. I usually can't stand that but I needed something. Soon, the cramps were accompanied by slight nausea. I realized I was dehydrated. It was a cloudy day and hadn't forced fluids on the bike.

I dumped ice down my top ever chance I could.

I saw my brother David as I started my second loop of the run. It was where we crossed the main road into the park. He was second in a line of cars. I was happy to see him and he actually gave me motivation to keep running.

I saw George at the 3 mile, 4 mile, and then twice again on the second loop. He was always someone to look forward to seeing.

The run became a real sufferfest. I don't know why it seemed so hard but it did. I made no effort at all to smile for the cameras. Oh well, I didn't care at the time. When I looked at the finish line video, I was horrified. LOL!!

What did motivate me was the people's comments when they'd see the "60" on my leg. One woman yelled "you rock 60!" Another woman told me that I looked 40. And a guy said he was really impressed as he passed me. Maybe wearing a "60" on my leg isn't so bad after all.

Post race
Warm down:

I was dying to get out of my wet stinky clothes. I went right to the car. I was stopped mid-way to the car by a debilitating cramp. A woman stopped and let me lean on her to stretch it out. That helped. Then I got my stuff out of transition and loaded the car. I knew Linda R would need help with her stuff. I went back to the finish line but I couldn't find anyone that I knew. It encompassed a very large area and it was really crowded. After getting some food, I decided to wait back at the car. That's when I ran into Stacey and Frank. They walked down to the lake with me and we picked up our morning bags. That was a long trek! We were rewarded by delicious home-made brownie muffins at the tent. That was nice.

Finally back at the car, we ran into Steph and Ed. We said our good-byes and they all left.

I went back to find Linda R and go to the awards ceremony. I took first and won the opportunity to take the slot to the 70.3 championship in Austria. I declined.

Event comments:

It was a good race. If the roads on the bike course were paved, like I had heard they were supposed to be, it would've been really nice.

Ironman races are pricey, but I think they do a good job. The volunteers were awesome!

Last updated: 2014-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 274/1943
Performance: Good
Suit: Long-sleeved
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:17 | 57 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 0/1943
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 48 turns along the way--I wouldn't call this a fast course.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/1943
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-22 2:15 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Princeton
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Princeton Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Princeton

Started by cruzanvi
Views: 1039 Posts: 1

2014-09-22 10:12 AM cruzanvi

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by ladavidson
Views: 3550 Posts: 12

2006-06-06 6:45 PM CitySky

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by crusevegas
Views: 3314 Posts: 17

2006-06-12 11:03 AM crusevegas

Mexico IronMan 70.3 Baja

Started by CVSURF
Views: 2601 Posts: 8

2006-09-27 5:43 PM go_sparkles

Ironman 70.3 California

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 4102 Posts: 23

2006-03-21 10:25 AM dajeeman357
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.