General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I got my first DNF on Sunday. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-25 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Subject: I got my first DNF on Sunday.
The Sandman Triathlon I was doing was an ocean swim. NOTHING blocking us from the Atlantic, at all.
There were talks starting on Saturday about putting the kybosh on the swim, but they didn't nix it.
Some people looked at the waves, then turned around and walked away from the start. Not this guy. When the horn for my heat sounded, out I went. I was able to make it about 25, maybe 30 meters out. For about 10 minutes straight, the waves knocked me hither and to, and nothing I did worked to get me moving forward. I finally gassed out and had to tap out. WORST. FEELING. EVER!

I'm sure I could have finished if I could have gotten past the breakers, but I just didn't have it in me. A severe lack of experience swimming in surf did me in.

They took my chip and let me finish the race, though. I finished it up being timed by my watch. From crossing into T1 to finish took me 1:17:23.

Having looked at the posted race results, I don't feel as bad about the DNF. The swim times for the few returning Clydes was much longer this year compared to last. One guy last year did the 750m swim in just over 18 minutes; this year it took him over 40.
There were SIX USAT reps at the race, and I specifically heard two of them say that they thought the swim should have been nixxed. Twenty percent of the field DNF'd.

All of that aside, the ride was fast, and I had a decent run, though not my best.

As for doing the race again... I highly doubt it. The cost of the race was the same as the Outer Banks Olympic race, and the swag was nowhere as nice as what OBSE gives out. The overall atmosphere wasn't that great, either. I also had the misfortune of "competing" against some of the rudest triathletes I have ever raced with.

2014-09-25 4:32 PM
in reply to: SpeedKnight

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: I got my first DNF on Sunday.

As your avatar says, DNF trumps DNS.  You gave it a shot and made a reasoned decision to call it quits rather than putting yourself in danger.  Then you went ahead and did the bike and the run instead of giving up completely.  Way to fight as hard as you could and be realistic about your current (ahem, sorry!) abilities.  Too bad the race organization, etc., was sub-par too.  At least now you know you can cross that one off your list and save your money for a better race next year.

2014-09-25 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Originally posted by SpeedKnight The overall atmosphere wasn't that great, either. I also had the misfortune of "competing" against some of the rudest triathletes I have ever raced with.

Good for you for recognizing you were "In Over Your Head" when it comes to the conditions. Better to call it a day to race again than to be fished out later.

I have to say your comment above is very much more troubling. This has not been my experience at races and my hope is that it does not become more common. I will happily give up this sport if it comes to that and focus my energy on other pursuits. (Trail Running, The Marathon, Ultras,  Ocean Swim Races etc.)

Don't give in to the negativity and you will surely enjoy crossing the finish line of your next race all that much more :D

2014-09-25 5:38 PM
in reply to: WaterDog66

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by WaterDog66

Originally posted by SpeedKnight The overall atmosphere wasn't that great, either. I also had the misfortune of "competing" against some of the rudest triathletes I have ever raced with.

Good for you for recognizing you were "In Over Your Head" when it comes to the conditions. Better to call it a day to race again than to be fished out later.

I have to say your comment above is very much more troubling. This has not been my experience at races and my hope is that it does not become more common. I will happily give up this sport if it comes to that and focus my energy on other pursuits. (Trail Running, The Marathon, Ultras,  Ocean Swim Races etc.)

Don't give in to the negativity and you will surely enjoy crossing the finish line of your next race all that much more :D

Yea I'd like to hear some clarification on the other competitors. What were they doing that was rude? I've also never experienced negativity from other competitors, so I'm hoping it's not becoming a thing. Congrats for giving the swim a shot, and finishing the race anyway!

2014-09-25 8:31 PM
in reply to: 0

I was not in the race, but I was on the 9th floor of the hotel one street up from the start of the swim. I was getting alerts on my phone all weekend about dangerous rip currents and rough surf. I knew it was going to be tough when the lifeguards on paddleboards couldn't make it out past the breakers. Check out my post from earlier in the week.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by TriScott00 2014-09-25 8:32 PM
2014-09-26 7:04 AM

User image

That stinks. You gave it your best shot, though, and you were smart enough to know when the danger was too great. Better to live and race another day.

And yeah, encounters with rude racers suck. Triathletes like to pretend that everyone in their sport is an ultra-supportive angel, but there are jerks everywhere.

Do you have any more races this year? I hope you don't have to end the season with such a bad experience.

2014-09-26 6:27 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawboro, NC
Originally posted by trijamie

Yea I'd like to hear some clarification on the other competitors. What were they doing that was rude? I've also never experienced negativity from other competitors, so I'm hoping it's not becoming a thing. Congrats for giving the swim a shot, and finishing the race anyway!

Every race I've been in and the ones I've spectated, the racers would call out when they were passing. They did this during the bike, and during the run. On Sunday, I think maybe 6 people called that they were passing me.

It was wet out, as it was raining most of the day. Several guys that passed me came back over so close that I was taking rooster tail to the face.

There was one guy who was riding to the left, with no one on the right. I called that I was gonna pass to his right, and he lost it! He gave me the third degree. When I asked for the left, he acted like it was totally troubling to get over to the right.

These are just a few example, and only from the bike leg. There were some pretty rude runners, also.

Originally posted by happyscientist
Do you have any more races this year? I hope you don't have to end the season with such a bad experience.

Last tri for my season, this one. Sadly, the only one for the year, too. It's been a fiscally taxing year, so far.

I do have the Outer Banks Marathon coming up on November 9th.
2014-09-26 8:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Originally posted by SpeedKnight

Originally posted by trijamie

Every race I've been in and the ones I've spectated, the racers would call out when they were passing. They did this during the bike, and during the run. On Sunday, I think maybe 6 people called that they were passing me.

It was wet out, as it was raining most of the day. Several guys that passed me came back over so close that I was taking rooster tail to the face.

There was one guy who was riding to the left, with no one on the right. I called that I was gonna pass to his right, and he lost it! He gave me the third degree. When I asked for the left, he acted like it was totally troubling to get over to the right.

These are just a few example, and only from the bike leg. There were some pretty rude runners, also.

I'm not trying to say they were being nice, but I do want to point out a few things in their defense that will help you on your future races.

Calling out to pass is a courtesy, it is not required

When someone passes you, it is your responsibility to drop back to avoid drafting

It is illegal to pass on the right. It is illegal to ride left if you are not passing too, so this guy was in the wrong, but that is when you should call to pass and ignore that he is being troubled, he was breaking the rules.

Good luck on your next races!

Edited by Bradleykd 2014-09-26 8:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I got my first DNF on Sunday. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First IM first DNF Pages: 1 2

Started by stretchdew
Views: 3941 Posts: 32

2014-09-26 6:36 AM Hot Runner

To DNF or not to DNF...that is the question Pages: 1 2

Started by triturn
Views: 3025 Posts: 37

2008-04-01 8:35 AM pshorty

my first DNF

Started by trish123
Views: 1009 Posts: 17

2006-06-19 7:17 AM summer_2005

My first DNF....ARRGH!!!

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 1226 Posts: 9

2005-10-18 6:43 AM isis54

First Tri -- First DNF

Started by feagajk
Views: 1443 Posts: 14

2005-08-22 1:39 PM Mottyl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.
date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish

date : February 5, 2010
author : jswayland
comments : 7
On the day of the race my chain jumped off again and got wrapped so tightly around my crank that I couldn’t finish. I DNF'ed my first triathlon.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
comments : 0
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.