Without Limits Productions
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 5s
Overall Rank = 400/627
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 253/325
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:50 after a decent night's sleep to get wife and daughter going before we dash out the door for the 1-hour drive to Longmont. 2-slices of whole wheat toast with PB and honey washed down with water then a travel mug of black coffee. We arrive at the reservoir at about 6:30 only to find that parking at the reservoir is already full and about half the athletes have already racked their bikes. I'm thankful that I'm not one of the one's that decided to do race packet pickup that morning as the line was very long and never seemed to shorten. Got my bike racked near the run in/out for no particular reason but was wanting a spot along the fence where I would get to see my wife and daughter during transitions. I spread out my gear then got my chip and marked then it was off to the toilet- always a good time. I returned to don my wesuit and it was time to warmup.
Event warmup:

Being my first race, I just kinda followed the masses and headed over to the swim start. Eager to check the water temp, I waded in acting like I knew what I was doing. Water was surprisingly warm which was a nice welcome after practicing OW swimming in the very cold Aurora Reservoir the weeks prior. I ate 2 packets of GU, one with caffeine one without. I put on my swim cap and goggles, swung my arms around then swim out about 30-40 yards to readjust my goggles before returning to wading depth water. I felt good and limber although second guessed my self seeing other's swimming a lot more and overheard one athlete say it takes her 400 yards to get warmed up!
Swim
  • 17m 14s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not swimming well, I decided to stay in the back of the pack and follow the masses. I soon caught up with slower clydesdales in my group which proved to be a challenge to get around. It wasn't until I rounded the first buoy I made my pass and got around them. Soon after, the next wave of athletes with yellow caps caught up and were passing me so I stayed far to the right to not impede them. I got into a good rhythm at this point only breathing on my left side rounded the final buoy and headed for the exit arch. As soon as I could put my feet down, I waded out over the rocky bottom of the beach. Went to push the lap button on my Garmin and I was surprised to see I finished under 18 minutes especially considering the slow start, a run-in with a kayaker and the half dozen times that I paused to catch my breath.
What would you do differently?:

Try to separate myself from slower swimmer sooner as it's better to be passed then try to pass. Try to draft.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I was surprised with this transition time and felt that it went smooth. I took off my cap and goggles off while running which made it difficult to hold while trying to unzip my wetsuit. Jogged to find my bike which was a long distance at the opposite end near the bike in/out. Second guessed this for a moment until I realized it would be more difficult to jog with my cycling shoes. I didn't do the slick triathlete bike mount with shoes in the pedals but they went on easily and quickly enough.

Layout transition area better so that I can stand on a towel. Put helmet, gloves and glasses on areo bars. Have extra towel to dry off face. Get a triathlon sleeveless shirt to wear under wetsuit instead of putting on shirt to begin ride.
Bike
  • 39m 53s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Glad to have driven the course the day before. I was able to pound through a couple turns that I would have probably slowed down if I didn't drive it. I only got passed by others with nicer bikes and passed quite a few myself. Only took a couple sips from my areo bottle but spit it out just the flush the thick saliva and GU taste from earlier. Didn't eat anything on the ride and felt that I didn't need anything.

Maybe have a gel 15 minutes before the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Another better than expected time. Struggled putting on socks but not too bad. Slipped on shoes that were already tied.

Again, have towel to stand on and dry feet in addition to one to dry face.
Run
  • 32m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Obviously, a very slow run/jog but good for me. Was pleased with the 10.61 pace but felt very slow and sluggish. Had 2 gel and a package of Shot Blocks in the back pockets of my shirt and they uncomfortably bounced and giggle. Was planning to sip on a gel during the run so I held the 2 gel packets and shoved the Shot Blocks under my waist band. Holding the gels caused me some fatigue. Got passed by dozens of other runners and I didn't pass a single person. Found a pace and got my breathing under control. Walked at the aid station to get water and take a few sips. Water wasn't very cold and not refreshing to drink but it felt great pouring it over my head. Walked a couple of times to massage lower thighs that we cramping and achy. Only ate half of the gel I was sipped on during the run.

Get better and more comfortable and conditioned running. Get fitted for proper shoes. Get a fuel belt that can hold some gels for longer runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my girls at the finish, grabbed a bottle of water, looked for a finisher medal, took a couple pictures got a fish burrito and sat for a bit reliving the race with them and other athletes near by. Then my wife disappeared and returned with my time sheet. Grinning from ear to ear, she informed me that I finished 3rd in my group! I was shocked but very proud. Waiting around for the awards, I collected my gear from transition then soon collected my 3rd place plaque. Another trip through the expo then it was time to call it a day. Surprisingly, I didn't feel as exhausted as I imagined I would.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still need to loose 20-25 pounds. The wreck I had the week before on my bike kept me from training much leading up to the race not that it would have made much of a difference. I had only started training 7 weeks earlier and lost about 30 pounds doing so. Just need to get more conditioned for endurance sports in general.

Event comments:

Good race, great experience. Thought there would have been a finisher's medal but maybe they don't do that for short races? Nice swag bag and a decent expo although a bit cramped.

Last updated: 2014-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:14 | 800 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/325
Overall: 395/627
Performance: Average
Suit: Blueseventy
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:53 | 12.9 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/325
Overall: 244/627
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:54 | 03.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/325
Overall: 518/627
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. First and last 3/4 mile was very loose and rutted gravel farm road. The rest was good.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %-11.7
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-26 1:00 PM

User image

Subject: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

2014-09-26 6:42 PM
in reply to: #5054370

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

Great job, Josh!!   Good times, no mishaps, good weather, fun, winning a podium spot - WOOOT!!  What a fantastic way to start your career as a triathlete.  Congrats on the race and the weight you've lost getting ready for it.  Keep up the good work!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oktoberfest Sprint Triathlon

Started by mobottri
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2011-09-25 7:54 PM mobottri

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2011-09-25 3:12 PM SrhJarvis

Started by velocomp
Views: 1191 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 6:54 AM velocomp

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1668 Posts: 3

2008-09-09 1:32 PM skarl

Started by Max_O
Views: 1636 Posts: 2

2008-09-08 7:38 AM FF Stock
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.