General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open thanks to volunteers... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-28 7:05 PM

Subject: Open thanks to volunteers...
Today I happened upon the volunteer appreciation video from IM- Louisville (my 1st full) and the thing that struck me was how a few people can make such a difference.

This being said, at mile 16 on the run, I entered a very dark place. I started having trouble seeing, got very dizzy and then the dry heaving started. I thought I had my nutrition locked- guess not. You know you look like sh*t when others around you have that look of horror on their face.

I staggered to the next aid station and collapsed on the side of the road. I couldn't talk and was in and out of it. Two young kids, maybe 10-12 years old poured water and ice on me to try and cool me down and gave me perform, medical support gave me a once over, they simply said over and over..."you're going to make it" " get on your feet and make it happen". They saved my race...

One little girl gave me an American flag bandana soaked in cold water- truly selfless- it's in my gear bag and there it will stay as a reminder of the two kids who got this guy back on his feet.
Not sure how long I was on the side of the road before they got to me. Glad they did.

I had to walk a few while I got more liquids in, but ran the last 6 like a dog was chasing me. In the end, without those people I'm certain the outcome would have been different.

If you were there, you know how hot it was, they were right there with us. If anyone reading this was a volunteer there or at any other event, thank you.

Ps
- the guy who was handing out the salt packets by Churchill Downs...amazing!

2014-09-28 10:08 PM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Open thanks to volunteers...
Awe inspiring story, thanks for sharing and way to tough it out!!!!!!!!!!!
2014-09-29 7:10 AM
in reply to: mchughmtsinai

User image

Subject: RE: Open thanks to volunteers...
There are obvious examples to be grateful for like your experience or when I had to get help from a kayak during my last race, but there are less obvious examples as well, and they all deserve appreciation. Sometimes I volunteer for local bike races (I figure it all balances out if everyone pitches in for someone else's sport). The local race director is very big on making sure that the volunteers are thanked. At every marshalled intersection, every rider says thank you to the volunteers. He has it drilled into them, and it has become a matter of pride for the racers.

I extend that to triathlons and running races. I always say "thank you" to the volunteers who gave up their day to marshal intersections or pass out water. I have noticed a couple of things. First of all, it has a chain reaction where the people behind me will also say thank you. Second, far too often, the volunteers look surprised. Then, when they get over the initial shock, they will start cheering specifically for me. Of course, I love that. Finally, it gives me a boost to show appreciation.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open thanks to volunteers... Rss Feed