Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » tri training in Vancouver Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-02 1:12 AM

Subject: tri training in Vancouver
Hey just recently moved from Whistler to Vancouver wondering if anyone has any tips on training in Vancouver? Where do you go on long rides? Any suggestions for clubs?

2014-10-02 7:01 PM
in reply to: crehanj

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: tri training in Vancouver

Where are you exactly? I live in the West End, so I ride short rides as loops around Stanley park and my two go to long rides are to Horseshoe bay and the North Shore (could be Lion's bay, or one or more of the North Shore mountains) or the Richmond Loops which may or may not include an out and back on Iona. Those are my usual rides anyway, but there are more, Deep Cove, Belcarra, SFU. Or if you live south of the Fraser, there's great riding in Langley and Tswassen (pretty sure I spelled that wrong). Or there's some nice riding in Maple Ridge too. Or just south of the border. Sumas to Baker and back is a great summer ride. Anyway, it will help narrow it down if we know where you are.

Do you use Strava? You can create an account even if you don't have a Garmin. You should be able to find lots of great rides on there.

2014-10-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: jeng

Subject: RE: tri training in Vancouver
Awesome, that should be lots to keep me going. Thanks jeng. Living east van just off commercial.
2015-04-11 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: tri training in Vancouver swimming pool frustration
One thing you will discover when trying to train in public pools ( during the winter months) is that serious length swimmers are the lowest priority to pools.
Especially the 50m Vancouver Aquqtic Ctr. water polo, polo tournaments, water aerobics, family swims, movie filming, anything you can think of, all get the prime time pool hours over the length swimmer. That is the reality of it. So if you wanna get up early and do a swim, ride brick, forget it, unless you wanna do the ride first and then go to the aquatic ctr when it opens for 50m at 1:30 Sat.

After the swim at the Aquatic Ctr on Pacific Ave. then do loops around Stanley Park, it's a good combo. During the summer then do the open water swim off 3rd beach Stanley Park.

Edited by WhiteCatzs 2015-04-11 3:02 PM
2015-04-11 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by WhiteCatzs

One thing you will discover when trying to train in public pools ( during the winter months) is that serious length swimmers are the lowest priority to pools.

The best public pool in Vancouver, IMO, is Hillcrest and it is open for 50m lengths every morning from 6-9:00 and many other hours during the day for 25m lengths. It's closed now for renos but will reopen on April 27.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-04-11 4:24 PM
2015-05-11 10:53 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Awesome thanks guys.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » tri training in Vancouver Rss Feed