World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 56m 9s
Overall Rank = 339/2349
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 46/274
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:15. Ate a bowl of Cherrios, a banana, and a few Ensures. Went for a 10 min light jog just to get things moving. Laid down for a bit longer, then got up, showered, and were waiting for the shuttle downtown by 5:15. Shuttle was pretty quick and got to transition w/ plenty of time to drop bags and bottles, pump tires, etc. Found a porto-potty and then caught one of the last athlete buses down to swim start.
Event warmup:

Found the team in line and joined up w/ them. Waited for a while, then once things started moving, had a final pit stop, put on the wetsuit, and had half a gel. The line moved quickly, so was in the water before much longer. Had surprisingly few nerves for my first IM.. by the time the race came around I just wanted to get on with it.
Swim
  • 53m 10s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was worried about a shoulder injury going in, but had laid off swimming a lot in the month and a half leading up to the race, only swimming some 2/3 distance open water. Ended up things healed by race day and I had very little issue w/ the shoulder.

Also chose to go w/ a wetsuit. Water temp was only1 degree over limit, so no issues w/ overheating. Helped that it was overcast and early AM (no sun).

Overall had a great swim throughout. No nerve issues and swam hard the full race. Even took some time to enjoy the scenery on the way.

Was passing a lot of people on the way and even though I started near the end of the wetsuit wave I was passing a good number of non-wetsuit swimmers by the last 3/4 mi or so. Great swim overall w/ effort, sighting, etc. No complaints.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Swam hard and swam (for me) fast. Did a lot of open water swimming this year and it paid off. Was wetsuit assisted, but still way up in field from a couple of years ago when I'd be back 30%.
Transition 1
  • 11m 50s
Comments:

First time in a transition tent and really just took my time. Didn't lollygag at all, but didn't really hurry either. Time was slow, but I put on my own sunscreen and had everything I needed when I got to the bike

Go a bit faster next time..
Bike
  • 5h 31m 11s
  • 116 miles
  • 21.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't look at anything but power. Was a little worried for the first 40 mi that I was going too fast because I was constantly passing people, but the power was on so I kept it up. Nutrition was 4-5 Luna bars, at least 11 bottles of Skratch/Perform, and a good bit of an EFS concentrate bottle. Made sure I kept the fluids coming in and kept to the nutrition plan. The couple of times I felt my stomach a bit I did a stop w/ either water or nothing and things settled down.

Felt really good throughout and held back on the power to keep just to plan. Only a few accelerations to clear some groups.

Overall the bike felt good and I think I hit it pretty much right on.

Not a whole lot. Made no stops throughout the race (skipped special needs and rode through 2 potty stops).
Transition 2
  • 07m 46s
Comments:

Same thing.. was just figuring out how the tent transition worked. Was slow, but was a little worried about the legs once I started to run w/ the bike and figured a bit of a break wasn't going to hurt. Did use the sunscreen folks on the way out. By the time I started running my legs felt good and not all that heavy at all. Started w/ a decent pace. Carried a 3/4 bottle of Skratch w/ me on the run start.

Go a bit faster next time
Run
  • 4h 12m 12s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Only looked at pace throughout. Started at what felt like a good sustainable pace and was able to keep that up for the first 13 mi. Then started worrying that I wasn't taking in enough calories and did extra perform and took some gels.. Bad idea.. My stomach started feeling it on what should have been the fast flat area. I walked a bit to let things settle down, used the porta potty, and then did some slower jogging. Things started to settle down on the highway back after I started w/ coke and remembered my salt pills and stated taking them. Didn't get back to my full pace but was moving again and just walking at aid stations. Did walk a bit of the steeper hills on the last lap but kept a good pace when running. Thought I was close to my 12 hr goal so cut down on the walking and picked it up to finish.

Not worry about calories so much.. I was getting plenty from the perform and later coke. Stomach issues were my lack of experience in long runs. Legs were sore at the end, but I still had plenty left and could have gone faster.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down.. rested for a bit then took in some choc milk and water. Held off on eating anything solid until a few hours later.

Thought I was at 12 hrs from looking at my garmin wrong coming off the bike (why I shouldn't even look at it). Was more than a little surprised when coach Shelly told me I came in under 11..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience.. I think my bike was about to my training level, but I could have gone closer to 4 hrs on the run. Lots of time to take in the transitions too.

I think other than the run issue the nutrition was pretty much on and seemed to be plenty hydrated vs. my Raleigh experience

Mentally I think I did fine. Swim was strong. Kept concentration on the bike (helped by starting so far back and always having someone ahead to pass). Run toughness was good, although could have been better w/ less walking. Kept having visions of the total stomach meltdown so was worried about that. Leg wise I hurt but was fine. Recovery was a lot quicker than I thought. Legs felt pretty good by mid-Monday and were fine (although a bit tired) by the next day.

I think I could go a good bit faster next time around.

Event comments:

I wasn't sure about the bike course after riding it alone in August, but it was a lot better w/ the other racers and lots of spectators. While the run was tough I actually liked the hills just to break things up and make it a bit tougher. Definitely can't complain about a swim as fast as that.. good bit of current to help out.

Last updated: 2014-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:10 | 4224 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/274
Overall: 444/2349
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless Xterra
Course: Went wide towards the middle of the river quickly and stayed there throughout. Very little contact. Was relatively smooth until we got under the final bridge, then had a bit of chop and some light waves. It helped a lot having swum the river in August. I knew exactly where I was when swimming under the power lines.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:31:11 | 116 miles | 21.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/274
Overall: 343/2349
22.72, 21.30, 20.93, 20.82, 19.04 mph laps AHR 131, NP 173, AVP 165, VI 1.05, EF 1.32, w/kg 2.29
Wind: Little
Course: What I expected from the August preview. Liked the few changes since then. Actually didn't mind the next 4 mi since the swim was so fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:12:12 | 26.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/274
Overall: 339/2349
AHR 130, MHR 144 (didn't realize this at the time, but regulated the hills pretty well to keep this low) 8:37, 8:26, 8:42, 9:37, 9:36, 10:22, 10:41, 10:25, 9:41 pace intervals
Course: 7 mi flat, 6 mi very hilly x 2
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-04 2:28 PM

New user

Subject: Ironman Chattanooga

2014-10-05 4:08 PM
in reply to: #5056795

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga

Sub-11... nice!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by clemson05
Views: 1710 Posts: 2

2014-10-05 4:02 PM Sous

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by austhokie
Views: 1771 Posts: 4

2014-10-06 6:54 AM austhokie

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 2873 Posts: 11

2014-10-10 12:09 PM mtnbikerchk

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2071 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous

Chattanooga Waterfront

Started by KSMITH
Views: 1382 Posts: 9

2005-07-18 8:46 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.