General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
Door Country Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m 13s
Overall Rank = 580/1000
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 35/192
Pre-race routine:

slept, had a bagel to start. cliff bar an hour before and then a Goo shortly before the swim. I also try to avoid all people talking about what training they have done, that makes me to anxious to hear about.
Swim
  • 41m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was nice to have Jess to start with me. Our families were there right before the swim. I felt good. Only anxious right as we approached the start, which is normal for me. I am always worried about the sighting because I can't look left. There were 65 girls in our wave which was smaller than Jeremy who had 110. I stayed to the outside right which was fine. I ended up swimming very much on the inside lane, even had to make sure I had gotten to the other side of the buoy a few times. Jeremy said that it doesn't matter what side of the buoy you are on, might try that in Madison. There was a man in a green swim cap who I kept pace with, he helped me sight and swam very straight. This race had numbered buoys which was helpful because they were every 100 yards. I thought it went pretty good. Usual large burps, but could have kept swimming. Not to bad disorientation at the end. Thankful for the girl who ripped off my wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting and swimming straight. Figure out a good position to be in away from the mass in Madison.

Happy with my time. At this point I have only swam 1.5 miles, need to go longer now.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Body glide and the sun don't mix. Swiping the glide to protect my armpit resulted in a mess of goo. Use the Chami butt cream. Breathe. I avoided food/drink for about the 30 min of the bike in order to catch my breath. HR was 170s to start the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 25m 21s
  • 56.3 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to drink every 15 minutes. I had 1 full Preform and 75% of a Gatorade, 3 Goos. I did not feel hungry which I normally do. I had a Goo close to the bike end in order to avoid eating one early on the run.

Again it took 20 mile or more in order for me to feel some what comfortable on the bike. Damn this love / hate relationship we have. I noticed deep thigh and butt discomfort. My shorts/crotch are always uncomfortable. I noticed I frequently stood up or shifted my weight to make the ride more comfortable. I am going to ride long in those Kwami shorts, hopefully they are as great as Jeremy says. I am willing to try anything at this point.

I made it a point to keep checking in with myself on my nutrition. 3 Goos is 300 calories, the Preform has around 300 calories and the Gatorade was about 200 cal. The bike was over 3 hours, I know I need to eat more. I did not feel hypoglycemic like I did on my first 75 mile ride. I will practice this more.

The ride overall was flat. I tired to say aero a lot. I got passed by everyone, including Jess who got a 4 min penalty for drafting off me - that was hilarious. Why is everyone such a better biker? This thought is constantly fleeting in my head. I try to stay focused on doing the best I can. I know that I keep spinning and forging ahead and eventually I get there too.

No issues changing gears. Was happy to be done and start running. Sometimes seeing a sign for each mile was tough. I looked at the in bricks of 10 miles. If I can just get to 35mi that would be great, then the same thought at 45 mi (eventually it was over =)

Better nutrition. Chill out and bring the HR down. Continue to check in with yourself.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Fast change. Slide feet into already laced shoes. Visor, water bottle ( hot water- oops left in sun). I fixed my ponytail while running, tucked H2O bottle in shorts- that seemed to work.

shade water bottle.
Run
  • 2h 18m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent first 3 miles, kinda went by fast. happy to be off the bike. it was hot, water bottle was hot; thank god they gave out ice cubes. ice in bottle and bra at almost every aid station. legs felt fine and so did cuboid. knees were ok too. walked every aid station. look forward to them. made some friends on the run. tried to cheer those one that i could. ran when i could. loved the coke and popsicle at mile 12. only had 1 Goo on the run. Sick of them and stomach was not to be trusted. Ate it at mile 6. Had a speed ball aka salt tab with caffeine at mile 9. Gave one out too (good race karma). Race across the finish.

Nutrition. Oranges will be great at the next race. Take a salt tab. Glide under sports bra area, butt cheeks, back shoulder blades, and armpits. Vasoline at the aid stations was amazing.

Avoid sprinklers and hoses as great as they are. I hated running in water logged shoes. Maybe bring extra socks to transition bag in Madison.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice bath. Basically no stretching right away. Stick and foam roller later.

Event comments:

Keep checking in with yourself.
-sugar
-salt
-stomach
-legs
-mental well being

It's great having a watch to remind me when to drink. Need to figure out how to change it to running mode.

Last updated: 2014-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/192
Overall: 0/1000
Performance: Good
Suit: trisuit/wetsuit
Course: oblong square. all sighting was to the left. run in beach start
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:25:21 | 56.3 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
HR 170s to start and stayed 160s for most of the ride.
Wind: Some
Course: FLAT! Very few climbs, only had to change into small gear a handful of times. Tried to stay aero as much as possible.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:18:32 | 13.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
watch messed up HR; kept aying 80s...yeah right
Course: flat to start. hot. in direct sunlight. mile 6 and 9 had some hills that I walked. last 3 miles then last mile were really down hill. praying that i don't lose my 2 big toes nails cause it's 5 days out and they still hurt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-04 5:57 PM

Subject: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by gogoSusy
Views: 1883 Posts: 2

2011-07-25 12:03 PM djdavey

Started by b.will
Views: 1380 Posts: 1

2011-07-20 9:38 AM b.will

Started by jschmitchicago
Views: 2324 Posts: 11

2011-07-21 10:46 AM mr2tony

Started by fritzh57
Views: 1456 Posts: 2

2011-09-17 11:10 PM imim

Started by runs_with_jasper
Views: 1713 Posts: 6

2011-07-18 6:07 PM SSMinnow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.