General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire and Valve Extender Question for Zipps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-06 12:05 PM

Fort Worth
Subject: Tire and Valve Extender Question for Zipps
My new bike (Cannondale hi mod slice) is coming with Zipp 808 clincher rear and Zipp 404 clincher front with no tires or tubes.

My questions are:

1) What size valve length do I need? I assume 80mm is fine for the 404, but do I need a 30mm valve extender for the 808?

2) Any tire recommendations for training? I'm trying to decide between Gatorskins, Grand Prix 4 seasons, and the GP4000s. Also any suggestions on where to buy?

I care more about durability and no flats for training. I'll put something faster for races.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

2014-10-06 1:02 PM
in reply to: Beniger

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Tire and Valve Extender Question for Zipps
These are the sizes of the Zipp valve extenders..

48 mm (1.9") for 404 dimpled wheel sets.

72 mm (2.9") for dimpled 808 wheel sets.

98.26 mm (3.9") for dimpled 1080 wheel sets.

You can use a 80mm stem tube for the 404, but an extender is needed for anything larger (808, 1080)
For the extenders, use a tube with a valve larger than 30mm.

the rim depths for 404 57mm, 808 82mm, and 1080 108mm.

There are a number of brands for extenders, I have the Zipp ones, which many people don't like. One that is pretty nice is the Topeak.

video from Zipp on installing extenders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9YLlZDIOkU
2014-10-06 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I use Continental 42 mm valve tubes for all my bikes.

Then...
> For the 808s, I use Continental 60 mm extensions
> For the 404s, I use Continental 40 mm extensions
> For regular depth rims, I don't' use any extensions

This way I use the most popular size tubes at my LBS, never have to worry about what length value I need to get when I buy tubes, and all my tubes are interchangeable when I need to steal one from one bike to use on another...

Just be sure to carry the little valve tool in your seat pack on rides.

For tires, I use Gatorskins... great tires!
Add an ounce of Stan's to make them damn near impossible to flat.
2014-10-06 1:58 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

Fort Worth
Originally posted by RockTractor

Then...

This way I use the most popular size tubes at my LBS, never have to worry about what length value I need to get when I buy tubes, and all my tubes are interchangeable when I need to steal one from one bike to use on another...

Thanks for the reply and advice. What is Stan's? Does the valve tool you mentioned come with the extenders? Do you buy your tires, tubes, and extenders at your LBS or online? If online, where?

Thanks!
2014-10-06 2:01 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Fort Worth
Originally posted by metafizx

These are the sizes of the Zipp valve extenders..

48 mm (1.9") for 404 dimpled wheel sets.

72 mm (2.9") for dimpled 808 wheel sets.

98.26 mm (3.9") for dimpled 1080 wheel sets.

You can use a 80mm stem tube for the 404, but an extender is needed for anything larger (808, 1080)
For the extenders, use a tube with a valve larger than 30mm.

the rim depths for 404 57mm, 808 82mm, and 1080 108mm.

There are a number of brands for extenders, I have the Zipp ones, which many people don't like. One that is pretty nice is the Topeak.

video from Zipp on installing extenders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9YLlZDIOkU

Thank you for the information! I read that some do not like the Zipp extenders. I'll check out the Topeak ones.
2014-10-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by Beniger

Then...

Thanks for the reply and advice. What is Stan's? Does the valve tool you mentioned come with the extenders? Do you buy your tires, tubes, and extenders at your LBS or online? If online, where?

Thanks!

Stan's is a tire/tube sealant (Stan's Link). It will seal up small holes on the fly. We have "goatheads" (Goathead Pic) here in NM. So, Stan's is nearly a must around here.

I bought everything at my LBS. I'm sure it could be found easy (and cheaper) online - but, the business / face-time at the LBS comes back ten fold when I need them to perform "heroics" on my bike to get me ready for something in a crunch!

Edited by RockTractor 2014-10-06 2:10 PM

2014-10-06 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Stan's is a tire/tube sealant (Stan's Link). It will seal up small holes on the fly. We have "goatheads" (Goathead Pic) here in NM. So, Stan's is nearly a must around here.

sorry not to derail the thread, but RockTractor, do you put the Stan's in the tube itself ? I use Stan's on my MTBs (as tubeless) but haven't on my road wheels...all tubes.
2014-10-06 2:29 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by metafizx These are the sizes of the Zipp valve extenders.. 48 mm (1.9") for 404 dimpled wheel sets. 72 mm (2.9") for dimpled 808 wheel sets. 98.26 mm (3.9") for dimpled 1080 wheel sets. You can use a 80mm stem tube for the 404, but an extender is needed for anything larger (808, 1080) For the extenders, use a tube with a valve larger than 30mm. the rim depths for 404 57mm, 808 82mm, and 1080 108mm. There are a number of brands for extenders, I have the Zipp ones, which many people don't like. One that is pretty nice is the Topeak. video from Zipp on installing extenders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9YLlZDIOkU
Thank you for the information! I read that some do not like the Zipp extenders. I'll check out the Topeak ones.

The Zipp extenders aren't bad... I think a lot of people fail to put the plumber's tape on (as shown in the video), which makes a huge difference.

Also, the inside of the Zipp extenders match a hex wrench so you can use that to tighten or remove them if needed.

2014-10-06 3:33 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM

sorry not to derail the thread, but RockTractor, do you put the Stan's in the tube itself ? I use Stan's on my MTBs (as tubeless) but haven't on my road wheels...all tubes.

Yep! I just remove the valve core (Continental tubes have removable cores) and use a 60 CC Luer lock syringe to "inject" 1 oz. of sealant into the tube. (The Leur Lock ends fits perfectly over the presta valve body.)

• .. just last week I ran over something (probably a goat head) and it spat sealant for about 4 revolutions and then sealed back up.... priceless!
  • 2014-10-06 3:37 PM
    in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
    The Woodlands, TX
    Here are a couple links to everthing you ever wanted to know and a little bit more about extenders

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Valve_Extender_How-To_3007.html

and sealants in road bike tubes (part 1)

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_T...

and part 2

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_T...

2014-10-06 3:39 PM
    in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
    Albuquerque, NM
    Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by metafizx These are the sizes of the Zipp valve extenders.. 48 mm (1.9") for 404 dimpled wheel sets. 72 mm (2.9") for dimpled 808 wheel sets. 98.26 mm (3.9") for dimpled 1080 wheel sets. You can use a 80mm stem tube for the 404, but an extender is needed for anything larger (808, 1080) For the extenders, use a tube with a valve larger than 30mm. the rim depths for 404 57mm, 808 82mm, and 1080 108mm. There are a number of brands for extenders, I have the Zipp ones, which many people don't like. One that is pretty nice is the Topeak. video from Zipp on installing extenders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9YLlZDIOkU

The Zipp extenders aren't bad... I think a lot of people fail to put the plumber's tape on (as shown in the video), which makes a huge difference.

Also, the inside of the Zipp extenders match a hex wrench so you can use that to tighten or remove them if needed.

I'm not a fan of the Zipp extenders... I hate that you can't tighten up the presta stem "nub" to get good closure or that you have to either remove the stem or stick something down in them to bleed off pressure.

The Topeak extenders are a little better because you have a plunger to bleed off pressure. But, you still can't tighten the "nub" for good closure.

I still vote for the Continental extenders.... you actually remove the valve core from the tube, install the extender, and then re-install the valve core on the end of the extender. What you end up with is just like the original valve... just longer. I guess the only downside is that you have to buy tubes with removable cores. For me, that's not a big deal since I buy the removable core tubes anyway so that I can add Stan's sealant.

2014-10-06 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Chicago, USA
    Some things to consider:

Having one type of valve length is good, gives you the most options, you can pick the best length extender for your particular rim. And zipp extenders do work great, if installed correctly. They are well-designed, simple and light.

Also, an advantage of simple 'tube' type extenders (zipps and similar ones): a failure of your sealing job means you might have trouble filling your tube with air. Your seal needs to only work while filling your tire. But a failure of your sealing job with 'removable-core' type extenders? An immediate flat tire ... (your seal needs to work at very high pressure 24/7)

2014-10-06 6:14 PM

User image

Master
    Kailua, Hawaii

The Topeak extenders are a little better because you have a plunger to bleed off pressure. But, you still can't tighten the "nub" for good closure.

Topeak extenders do allow you to manipulate the valve, the shaft grips onto the tube valve and rotates to open/close...
    2014-10-07 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
    Albuquerque, NM

Topeak extenders do allow you to manipulate the valve, the shaft grips onto the tube valve and rotates to open/close...

Well then - I like them a lot better!
    Can you also push it in to bleed off pressure?
    If so, then that would be a sweet solution...
    2014-10-07 12:26 PM

User image

Master
    Kailua, Hawaii

Well then - I like them a lot better!
    Can you also push it in to bleed off pressure?
    If so, then that would be a sweet solution...

Yes ! I carry one in my tool bag in case my Zipp extenders cause trouble.
    2014-10-07 2:23 PM
    in reply to: #5057184

User image

Sylvania, Ga

2014-10-07 6:04 PM
    in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Veteran
    Cloverdale, BC

For my 80mm wheels, I use Vittoria Latex tubes with a 51mm stem and Continental 40mm valve extenders.

I carry a two 60mm Topeak valve extenders in my flat kit and two 42mm butyl tubes.

2014-10-08 2:04 AM
    in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Regular
    Portland, Oregon
    Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks

Also, an advantage of simple 'tube' type extenders (zipps and similar ones): a failure of your sealing job means you might have trouble filling your tube with air. Your seal needs to only work while filling your tire. But a failure of your sealing job with 'removable-core' type extenders? An immediate flat tire ... (your seal needs to work at very high pressure 24/7)

If either one is installed incorrectly, you'll know right away. What do you imagine is the failure rate post install?

With removable cores, bleeding off pressure is way easier, and you don't have to worry about the pin closing itself back up.
    I do concede that tube types are better if you get so many flats that you'll need to borrow a short-stemmed tube from a friend mid-ride. It would take an extra minute to pop over a removable core extender...but cmon, even IMCHOO only had a couple isolated tack traps, hah. If they are race-only wheels, than its even less of an issue.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire and Valve Extender Question for Zipps Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Valve Extender Question

Started by DV 1
    Views: 1611 Posts: 6

2011-05-12 6:57 AM matt3liv

Changing Tire with new aero wheels & valve extenders

Started by GangGreen
    Views: 7619 Posts: 18

2011-04-26 2:39 PM Sharkboy

Valve extender question

Started by Decatur217
    Views: 4122 Posts: 11

2011-02-02 10:44 AM DanielG

Another valve extender question

Started by jldicarlo
    Views: 1228 Posts: 11

2010-10-29 2:14 PM KathyG

Valve extender question

Started by greyg8r
    Views: 563 Posts: 2

2010-06-01 1:22 PM enginerd
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 17, 2014
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    It's been seven months since my spare part list got longer with a new prolapsed mitral heart valve. How does this affect your times and training? I just want to compete for the fun and enjoyment.

date : February 22, 2011
    author : shaunjamison
    comments : 1
    Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    comments : 0
    Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
    author : Ron
    comments : 2
    Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
    date : September 10, 2007
    author : Ron
    comments : 12
    This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : November 19, 2006
    Initially most patients with mitral valve regurgitation have normal heart function. But when the heart starts to function poorly, patients will start to become more short of breath with exertion.
    date : May 1, 2006
    Is training heart rate impacted by mitral valve prolapse and if so, how do you adjust accordingly.