General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A1A Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-08 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
state of denial
Subject: A1A
I have to go to Miami every September for business. I am thinking a nice return trip would be via bicycle from Miami to Fernandina Beach along A1A. I am looking for some local knowledge regarding:

A) is A1A cycle friendly the entire route...looks like Jacksonville may get tricky
B) will I need extensive planning or are there enough hotels/places to eat/bike shops along the way that I can wing it
C) are there any desolate areas that may cause a problem
D) if i brought along a hammock, could I set up along the way and catch some sleep or will i be forced to stay in a hotel every night.

thanks,

2014-10-09 10:42 AM
in reply to: gsulee

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: A1A

Sounds like fun.

A) Here in the Melbourne-Titusville area, once you get north of Melbourne beach it would be better to take other parallel side roads as A1A becomes a major route and traffic gets busy.  From Melbourne beach to North of Cocoa you can use side rides that are less busy than US1 or A1A.  North of Cocao you'll need to be on US1 for a bit.  A1A stops past Cocoa Beach and you cannot get on 528 (highway) so you'll be forced to get on US1 or other roads anyway. I'm sure there are a number of areas along the way like this where A1A is not continuous.  If you do this in the future let me know and I can map out the side roads from Melbo beach north to Titusville for you.

B/D) Remember this is FL, you don't want to be sleeping out side with the mosquitoes in Sept! I'm sure for the most part is you plan right you can find places to stay.

C) I can't vouch for other areas along A1A/east coast FL.

X

2014-10-10 7:56 PM

User image

I have never done it but cyclists do ride from Miami to West Palm Beach as a one-way century ride. So, it can be done however depending on where you start in Miami a1a is a pretty heavily trafficked street and we are pretty infamous for our non-cycling friendly drivers.

Once you get to Fort Lauderdale I think a1a becomes a little more of a popular bike route.

I would check with some cycling groups down here for more specific information. Everglades Bicycle Club is a good one to check with. Also another suggestion would be the South Florida Randonneurs. I'm pretty sure I spelled that incorrectly.

Regarding hotels - there are lots all the way up and down us-1.

Good luck with your ride.
2014-10-24 11:36 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Be VERY wary of drivers. Drivers in Miami are extremely hostile to cyclists and very aggressive, however Fort Lauderdale is 10x worse. I used to live on the A1A in Pompano Beach, which is just north of Ft. Lauderdale and I was struck by cars twice while running. Both times I was on the sidewalk and they came out of a parking lot or driveway without stopping or looking. Both times they were mad at me for being on the sidewalk and not looking for them, and both times they sped off. That's perfectly normal behavior there. I didn't ride back then and never would. I saw way too many accidents. I think once you get north of Boca, people start acting human again, but be very careful south of there. It's unbelievable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A1A Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

50% off Publix A1A Half or Full Marathon

Started by tskough
Views: 1988 Posts: 2

2011-11-23 7:33 AM davetib

hotel for a1a marathon

Started by scott h
Views: 812 Posts: 1

2010-01-15 1:18 PM scott h

Ft. Lauderdale A1A Half Marathon in Feb