General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In a Funk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-10 8:45 AM

User image

New user

Indianapolis
Subject: In a Funk
I'm signed up for IMLP 2015 which will be my 3rd Ironman. My last IM was 4 years ago. Since then I've had two kids, now ages 1 and 3, and moved to a new area away from my training buddies. I'm having a hard time getting back into training. I've never really totally left the sport, well except for swimming. I've never stopped biking or running, just slowed down a little. I was excited when I signed up, but haven't been able to maintain it I guess. At least not right now. Anyone ever go through this before? I'd like to wake up and think "Let's go swim." instead of "I guess I better go swim a few laps". It is still too far out to feel panicked about my conditioning, but that will come soon I'm sure.

2014-10-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #5058564

User image

Subject: RE: In a Funk
I'm signed up for IMLP too. But my raining for that won't really start until January. So, in that sense I would say I think it's too early to be concerned.

Finding training mojo can be tough. Sometimes I just wait it out and other times I go with a more fake it till you make it attitude. Let me know if I can help with additional platitudes or cliches. Lol.
2014-10-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: JRF1980

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by JRF1980 I'm signed up for IMLP 2015 which will be my 3rd Ironman. My last IM was 4 years ago. Since then I've had two kids, now ages 1 and 3, and moved to a new area away from my training buddies. I'm having a hard time getting back into training. I've never really totally left the sport, well except for swimming. I've never stopped biking or running, just slowed down a little. I was excited when I signed up, but haven't been able to maintain it I guess. At least not right now. Anyone ever go through this before? I'd like to wake up and think "Let's go swim." instead of "I guess I better go swim a few laps". It is still too far out to feel panicked about my conditioning, but that will come soon I'm sure.

It helps me to pick some intermediate races - runs, rides and triathlons.  For swimming, you might look into join a masters group and set some time goals other than 2.4 miles (50 yds, 100 yds, etc.).  I find swimming more enjoyable and find it easier to push myself when swimming with slightly faster swimmers.

2014-10-12 9:27 PM
in reply to: #5058593

User image

Master
Yup. Was in awesome shape. Moved out of the country for 2 years (great experience; different post). Moved back to different part of country where there is t near the same Tri vibe. Signed up for IMFL thinking it'd be good to train with a few folks and didn't do a single training day with them. Took last year essentially off. I got excit d watching IMChoo and now am training again. Just have to redefine what good training and good racing looks like. I still miss my training crew.
2014-10-12 10:04 PM

Originally posted by JRF1980

I'm signed up for IMLP 2015 which will be my 3rd Ironman. My last IM was 4 years ago. Since then I've had two kids, now ages 1 and 3, and moved to a new area away from my training buddies. I'm having a hard time getting back into training. I've never really totally left the sport, well except for swimming. I've never stopped biking or running, just slowed down a little. I was excited when I signed up, but haven't been able to maintain it I guess. At least not right now. Anyone ever go through this before? I'd like to wake up and think "Let's go swim." instead of "I guess I better go swim a few laps". It is still too far out to feel panicked about my conditioning, but that will come soon I'm sure.

I love to train, but I do sometimes wake up and not feel like running or swimming, so I may opt to ride or something else. I've never felt like not training at all, if I ever felt like that, it would be time to have a break or find a new sport. Do you swim by your yourself? If so I'd recommend joining a squad, heaps of fun and easier to be motivated.
2014-10-13 2:18 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

New user

Indianapolis
Thanks for the ideas everyone and yeah, I would love to be able to train with my buddies or really anybody anymore. It is really hard to join any groups based on where I live now and the fact that I have a lot more family duties now. I can only train when I have the time available, mostly before work and at lunch and in a small town with no tri groups or anything like that. I'd guess that is my main problem. I've lost the social aspect of the sport. No peer pressure to wake up in the morning, no body to push me when I'm training.

I managed to enough training in to get a decent time in a mountainous century ride in a month ago so I can do it. It is just going to be a lot harder this time to get and stay motivated.

2014-10-13 4:46 PM
in reply to: #5059247

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Make or find a schedule and make a commitment to stick to that schedule.

Works great cause a schedule is a commitment and you don't want to break a commitment!
2014-10-14 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Totally with you here. What worked for me (until injury threw it all away), was to put a countdown to my race on my calendar at work and home. The ever diminishing numbers helped motivate me to get prepared and I eventually embraced the horror rather than dread trying to fit in another workout "just because". Back in the same situation now, and will follow this thread to see if anyone else has a better idea.
2014-10-14 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by JRF1980

I managed to enough training in to get a decent time in a mountainous century ride in a month ago so I can do it. It is just going to be a lot harder this time to get and stay motivated.

It sounds like cycling is your favorite sport. Find a local 5k and run it like an absolute crazy man! If you race with a watch, ignore it. Either you blow up and jog it in, or set a fast time. Either way, I bet that will inject a little spice into your training.
2015-01-21 12:50 PM
in reply to: mikerunkle

User image

New user

Indianapolis
Well, I think I'm finally back on track. I made myself a 28 week workout schedule and have completed the first two weeks now. I completely fell off the wagon over the holidays, but already feeling a ton better now than I did two weeks ago. I think I'm finally ready for business. Mainly I couldn't get motivated that far out from the race. Had a decent race on Thanksgiving day morning, then didn't do much for the next 6 weeks, but with the base I've built up over the past 10 years I think I'll get back up and into the swing of it soon. 28 weeks will go by fast now, but looking forward to them (at least at the moment).

Got 20 lbs to lose and lost of running, biking, and swimming ahead of me.
2015-02-15 5:59 PM

User image

I can relate. I'm glad to see your fire is coming back.

I tend to be a little more masochistic when it comes to training. If I feel like I'm starting to get in a rut, I usually hit it harder and longer to burn it out of me. I think that approach might stem from the need to suffer for anything worth doing, at least in my own mind.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In a Funk Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

post race depression- getting out of the funk

Started by neurocyclist
Views: 1561 Posts: 19

2011-04-01 2:50 PM neurocyclist

The big "funk"....

Started by Meulen
Views: 1376 Posts: 10

2011-02-09 9:53 PM MonkeyClaw

help me get out of this funk!