General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman / Lifetime Tri Collaboration (Merger?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-10 4:58 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman / Lifetime Tri Collaboration (Merger?)
Just got this email:

IRONMAN® and Life Time to Team Up to Promote Triathlon Growth

LifeTime_IRONMAN_Announcement 1
Life Time Tri Series to Become the “Official Sponsor of the IRONMAN® and IRONMAN 70.3® U.S. Series;” Sprint and International Distance Events Would Count Toward IRONMAN Age Group Rankings and IRONMAN All World AthleteTM Status

On the eve of the 2014 IRONMAN® World Championship presented by GoPro, IRONMAN and Life Time – The Healthy Way of Life Company announced a planned collaboration to promote the growth of triathlon and to welcome new athletes into the sport through education and premier events.

As an “Official Sponsor of the IRONMAN® and IRONMAN 70.3® U.S. Series,” Life Time’s 13 Sprint and International distance triathlons will be contributors to the IRONMAN Age Group Ranking and IRONMAN All World AthleteTM programs.

“We have long-admired Life Time for sharing our passion and commitment to providing athletes with a world-class race day experience. We are both dedicated to growing the sport by introducing new participants to triathlon,” said Andrew Messick, Chief Executive Officer of IRONMAN. “Through this unique synergy we will build a continuum of events from short-distance races to IRONMAN® events.”

“We are thrilled to collaborate with IRONMAN and their iconic series of events,” said Bahram Akradi, Life Time Chairman, President and CEO. “For more than a decade, Life Time has invested in the growth of triathlon – the ultimate healthy way of life sport. Today, we produce one of the nation’s premier triathlon series and provide specialized triathlon training programs and clinics. Through our combined efforts, we will advance the mutual respect and passion we all have for this sport.”

Life Time will expand its endurance coaching and training programs to IRONMAN athletes. Endurance coaching at Life Time destinations nationwide as well as Starting Line 101 Clinics and Indoor Tri events are designed to prepare athletes of all fitness levels for triathlons and provide a variety of training options from complimentary educational sessions and first-timer clinics to full-fledged group training programs and race simulations.

Registration for the 2015 Life Time Tri Series will open November 4, 2014. To learn more about Life Time Athletic Events visit EventsByLifetime.com. For more information about IRONMAN or to register for an event, visit ironman.com.

2014-10-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman / Lifetime Tri Collaboration (Merger?)
Forgot to include that Ironman is a registered trademark
2014-10-10 7:48 PM

Well I guess since the 5i50 series busted WTC has decided to collaborate with Lifetime on a short course takeover.
2014-10-12 8:13 PM

Sad... I have a local race sponsored in part by Lifetime fitness that will probably quadruple in price next year
2014-10-13 8:02 AM
in reply to: clumsyrunner14

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by clumsyrunner14

Sad... I have a local race sponsored in part by Lifetime fitness that will probably quadruple in price next year

I am kind of worried about the same thing happening.
2014-10-13 10:17 AM

naperville, Illinois
bums me out. I liked not having everything ironman branded. they have certainly gone out on their master plan to rule the world. Pinky and The Brain would approve

2014-10-13 8:03 PM
in reply to: #5058774

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-10-13 9:56 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

Extreme Veteran
lifetime tris are the most expensive in Chicago
2014-10-14 12:17 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

Regular
Wisconsin
Trinona in Winona, MN was $85 + fees for the sprint a couple of years ago
2014-10-14 10:10 AM

I don't think this will change the race landscape all that much, and to be honest, I think it may be in the best interest of the sport. Here's the way I look at it: WTC/IM has a great brand for long distance races, but a major hole in their race portfolio is shorter distance races - and that's what Lifetime provides. For Lifetime, they have a good race calendar, but there is room to grow for them in terms of geography and being a small company in this sector has to be challenging. WTC/IM provides a platform upon which Lifetime can grow and thrive. I think it's a good move for both sides.

In terms of the bigger picture, the 5150 series never really got off the ground. So, by bringing together two established companies to address the Oly distance race niche, it can only help raise the profile of the oly distance race and I think it will help bring people into the sport. Look at the huge lift that IMMD had vs. last year's Chesapekeman race. And the financial trouble that TriColumbia got into is perhaps a sign of how tough the environment is for small companies in the sector.

Will prices go up as a result? Maybe, potentially. I think there is still enough independent oly distance races that will help keep prices reasonable.

I would imagine that WTC is perhaps the 'winner' in all this. As a company, they can more effectively cater to a broad range of triathletes, not just HIM and IM distance racers.

So, this is all good imho.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman / Lifetime Tri Collaboration (Merger?) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lifetime Fitness Merger with Ironman/WTC? Is it Possible? Pages: 1 2

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 6069 Posts: 42

2012-08-21 2:55 PM mikericci

Lifetime Fitness Tri

Started by derekh25
Views: 508 Posts: 2

2005-07-13 10:52 AM 3558

lifetime fitness tri

Started by dsoshnik
Views: 559 Posts: 2

2005-07-12 9:00 AM lincsguyus

Hey Minneapolis--Need to know a good Tri-Bike Shop-Lifetime Fitness Tri

Started by ladavidson
Views: 817 Posts: 3

2005-04-12 9:41 AM kelpeng

Lifetime Fitness Tri on TV Pages: 1 2

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1405 Posts: 29

2004-07-19 12:29 PM lincsguyus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?