General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Triathlon Taper Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-19 9:40 PM

User image

Subject: First Sprint Triathlon Taper Question
Here is my long winded and windey question:

I am doing the Iron Girl Columbia next Sunday. This is my first triathlon and it is an 1100 meter swim, 17.6 bike and 3.3 run. I just bought clipless pedals a couple of weeks ago and have gotten somewhat used to them by doing 5 and 10 mile rides around the neighborhood. I have riden the course once before I went clipless and it was quite a challenge in itself(it is more 'hilly' than 'rolling' in my inexperienced opinion). Tomorrow morning(Sunday), I am doing a workout with our local group that is 1000 meter swim, 15 mile ride and 3 mile run. I would like to ride the course one more time especially with my new pedals and to get more confidence on it, plus I want to get in several more days of swim(since I am really the least confident in that department). Is doing the Tuesday course ride too much? I am really concerned about blowing my taper and getting the rest I need. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2006-08-19 10:15 PM
in reply to: #516470

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: RE: First Sprint Triathlon Taper Question
Hey there.

I've only done two sprints, but I think that the generally accepted idea is that sprints don't require a great deal of tapering. I've tapered down with a light or moderate workout on a Thursday, nothing on Friday or Saturday, for a race on Sunday. So, I guess I'd call that a two day taper, and I think that the only reason I need to taper for a sprint is to make sure that if I have any aches or pains from training that I give them time to go away before the race. (Due to a scheduling mix-up, I'm thinking of doing a ten mile charity bike ride the day before my next sprint, and I'm not concenred about it. It's an easy ride.)

Of course, your miles may vary. How much of a "base" of training do you have? I don't see that you've logged any workouts here, so I can't tell if your 5-10 mile bike rides are your longest ever, or just your longest on the new pedals. If you are a generally fit person who exercises regularly, you shouldn't need to taper much for a sprint distance triathlon. If you've been training for this sprint tri with a good volume for many months, you probably don't need to taper too much either. If you've overtrained, you might need to take a slight break.

Nice avatar, by the way. Might be a bit risque for this crowd, though . . .

2006-08-20 8:46 AM

Veteran
Denver
I agree with Stupidnickname. You don't need to do much of a taper for a Sprint tri since your training isn't logging in any real big milage. I think taking 2 days off before a race always feels good to me.

Get used to those clipless pedals, make sure you eat well and rest well before the race and good luck!!!

Have fun.
2006-08-20 11:35 AM

User image

Thanks for the advise. I made my log public, but I have logged a couple of 17 mile plus rides, including the actual course.

Thanks, I like my warrior woman, I didn't think it was offensive, I guess I'll have to take my chances
2006-08-20 2:47 PM
in reply to: #516661

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
I've done three sprints this summer and I pretty much have taken on all the above advice. I pretty much go hard all week, except for the day before the race. I just don't train the day before. I made the mistake once of running 5 miles the day before a 5K and I was absolutely dying out on the course. Just give your body a day to relaxa and then just go all out for your Spriont.
2006-08-20 6:47 PM

User image

Baltimore, MD
Hey! I'm doing IronGirl Columbia this weekend as well. Are you psyched?

I'm planning on doing a 10 mile run on Tuesday or Wednesday because I'm marathon training, but then I'm going to cut back with lighter workouts for the rest of the week. I would like to ride that brutal bike course one more time before the race, but my bike has an appointment to get tuned that day...otherwise I'd go. I think you'll be fine since you'll still have four days until the race to recover.

Did you do the trial run they had at the lake a few weeks back? I'm glad I got a chance to swim in the actual lake, as I wouldn't have wanted to experience the gardens of submerged vegetation for the first time on race day!

Good luck!

2006-08-20 6:55 PM
in reply to: #516858

User image

Hey, I don't think PSYCHED is the word I would use....I would more likely use ...terrified. I didn't get to do the swim at Centennial. I did an OWS clinic that weekend and Gunpowder and the women who came to it said the water was pretty 'interesting' and described it the same as you did. Well maybe all the extra vegetation will make us more Bouyant(sp?)?? One can only hope.

Good Luck To YOU!
2006-08-20 6:58 PM

User image

Baltimore, MD
I was at the swim clinic as well. Maybe you heard that from me? That would be funny.

I actually went back there today and swam a mile. There was a tri club practicing there...is that the one of which you are part?
2006-08-21 8:24 AM
in reply to: #516867

User image

Yeah, The Baltimore Area Triathlon Club...cool, well maybe we'll meet at Iron Girl!
2006-08-21 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

I prefer to take more time to taper than just a day.  If you accumulate weeks of training in your body, and don't give it several days to recover and rejuvinate, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I think most folks would agree that it's better to be "over rested" than it is to be "over trained."

My advice is to think hard about what your body will feel like with 1, 2, and 3 days rest. Do you typically feel absolutely 100% after just one day of rest?  Are you chomping at the bit to get out there and race after just 24 hrs?
Good luck with whatever you do.  Have a great race, and be sure to give us all the fun deails!!

~B

2012-07-13 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I know this is an old post, but it would be really helpful on taper forum threads if the triathlete would post how their taper impacted their race after the fact.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Triathlon Taper Question Rss Feed