Naperville
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/101
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race started the day before. We drove up from Central IL to see the Wiggles with my two kids. It only took 4.5 hours due to all the toll roads being under construction. My daughter got sick in the middle of the show and watched most of it from the back of the theater. Me and my son ended up at the car an hour into it. When we got to the hotel I went to find out how to get to the race. When I got back I was met at the door with my son crying and bleeding from the lip (he ran into a chair as I walked in) and me daughter had just vomited. Fortunately, we were up graded to a two bedroom suite for free, because I got to sleep in a king size bed as my wife took care of the kids. My daughter was up every hour vomiting. Needless to say, I went to the race alone.
I got up at 4:30 after sleeping pretty well and made my way to the race site around 5:30.
I ate a banana, mini bagel with pumpkin butter and smart balance about 2 hours before the race, and Gu Shot Bloks and Powerade just minutes before the race.
Event warmup:

Mostly walking back and forth from my car. The race didn't have much parking so I parked a could of blocks away. Like normal I wasted enough time to almost be late. The transition area had a huge line to get in and I barely made it to the water to jump in. In fact, as I jumped in they closed the pool.
Swim
  • 09m 6s
  • 400 meters
  • 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

The close turn was so swallow everyone got up and walked. I only got hit in the head once during the race.
Since this race was really a warm up for my Oly in Indy I was really happy to see the poor visibility. Although my time was slow (I really had to pee badly, thank God the had a porta potty in transition) it was the perfect race to get that monkey off my back. I'm pretty sure it fell off during the swim. I hope it didn't hit anyone in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to swim a little faster. I had the mind set that I was out for a "Sunday swim" with a bunch of friends and it worked to keep me calm. I ended as fresh as when I started, so I didn't have an oxygen deficit when I finished. It worked really well for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I'm just slow at transitions! It is my own fault. I don't train at them and it shows. I will need to work on them before the 27th.

Run the very long distance from the water. Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 36m 35s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 22.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Very, Very good bike for me. I didn't like the double loop because you quickly came upon people going much slower than you. I made it a little dangerous. They did a good job of closing streets and roping off others. Really good traffic control.

Nothing. I paced myself well and had steam in the engine left for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

A better transition. If I could cut 20 seconds off this one and a minute off T1 it would make a big difference in my overall time. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
Run
  • 20m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't believe how well I did in the run. I have slacked on my running all year because of my bloody abdominal strain. In fact when I look back over my log I usually don't make my schedule runs if I am going to miss a workout. It did hurt though. Not my abdomen, but the rest of me. It took several days for my legs to stop hurting.

I did have an 18 year old pass me at the finish. I passed him about 0.1 miles out and he must have kicked it into gear, because he up an flew by me at the finish. There was no way I could have caught him. I the prize would have been a million dollars I would have lost. I was at my top speed and my legs just said, "NO"!!!

I am little worried about the longer distance for the Olympic on Aug. 27th. I will run slower and be below LT, but cutting all the running out over the last year may hurt me their.

Nothing really. I gave it everything I had and even at the end I can say I didn't have a thing left. I felt really good.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed the typical water, banana, grapes, Fig Newtons (yum),.... Walked to the transition and go my stuff together. My family was still at the hotel sick, so I wanted to get home. Unfortunately, they didn't open the transition for some time after I got done. So, I went for a jog. I sure did. I ran another 2 miles to loosen up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim and transitions. I don't really care to make my swims any faster, but I will work on my transitions.

Event comments:

The double loop sucks, but it allows for keeping the roads closed. I would rather have the roads closed, so it is a good job. It was a little early (7am) and it didn't start on time, so next year make it 7:30 and start on time.

Last updated: 2006-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:06 | 400 meters | 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 48/101
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Red Tri suit
Course: Outdoor pool with a lot of sand making it hard to see. This was fine by me since I have been training in the murky lake near my house at 6 am. I did not like the M shaped course because of all the 180 degree turns.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:35 | 13.5 miles | 22.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/101
Ave. HR 155
Wind: Little
Course: Double loop course that was over a mile longer than stated on official web site.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:49 | 03.1 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/101
Ave. HR 169
Course: Loop along trail and city streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 6:52 AM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-20 6:53 AM
in reply to: #516554

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon
It only took me a week to finish my race report.  Bad week of illness and just flat out too busy.
2006-08-20 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

Nice race!

We had a beautiful day out there.

2006-08-20 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Awesome!  Awesome!  Race.  I think sitting thru the Wiggles was your biggest challenge though....

There seems to be a theme of vomit and family trips with you?   

2006-08-20 11:25 PM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR

what a great race! I'm surprised you could still get race ready after a weekened of what sounds like family hell what with the vomiting children, bloody noses and Wiggles .... I don't know if that's better or worse than Barney  

As for working on transitions, lucky for you that's something that just needs practice.  Many folks will never run sub 7 minute miles or keep a 22mph pace in race, so at least you've picked the easy thing to need improvement on!!

Can't wait to see how you do in Indy. Keep it up and kick some age group ! 

2006-08-21 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

GREAT race!!!

The swim certainly could have been worse.  Being able to finish the swim and still feel "fresh" is fantastic.

Your bike and run were AWESOME.  I bet you'll be able to maintain a similar pace on the bike in your longer race.  And then your run segment will be just as impressive.  Maybe not sub 7 minute miles...perhaps you can tell yourself that you'll aim for close to 7 minute miles in the last half ("resting up" during the first half of the run).

I just have to say it...your one FAST doc.

2006-09-23 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Whoa!  Fast race.  Sorry to hear taper and pre-race filled with not-so-pleasants...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed