General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-16 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: Foot issue
This is a shot in the dark, but figure it can't hurt!

Some background: With IM Lake Tahoe cancelled I'm back to solely being an ultra runner. During my IM build I was run heavy regularly putting in 75-80 mile run weeks. In early June after a 50k that I raced hard, in between where the plantar fascia and the side of my heal I developed something that feels like a stone bruise, except when I walk or run, once the area warms up its pain free(unless I push on it) for however long I go. I have zero issues doing a 30 mile run, it just takes about half a mile or so to go away. After it tightens back up, its sore, but not any worse, if I give it a massage/roll on a ball it eases substantially. In general it feels like a tendon or muscle being pulled when I walk.

Just FYI before the 'its plantar fasciitis,' feedback: I've seen 2 Active Release Therapists, a deep massage therapist AND a podiatrist. Its not PF, nor is it a bone spur. No body can seem to give me a clear diagnosis. One ART lady said it was a band of scar tissue that needs to be broken up, the other couldn't feel anything and said it was referred pain stemming from tight calves, the CMT fixed the tight calves but couldn't feel anything in my foot. The podiatrist did an x-ray and offered orthotics.

I 'did' find out my work shoes were waaaaaay too wide/big for my bony/skinny feet, so recently got a pair of well fitted Red Wings with Superfeet inserts, because it could be from work shoes and not running?

Any thoughts? Guesses?

Edited by LittleCat 2014-10-16 1:35 PM

2014-10-16 5:42 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Los Angeles, California
Subject: RE: Foot issue
have you actually tried giving it a break? ligaments and tendons don't heal fast especially in such a blood deprived area as foot.

if it's not superpainful I'd try gentle stretching of that area through the day, not just 5min with massage ball but trying to stretch that area wherever you are and whatever you do by putting your attention on stretching that specific spot? if you say pain goes away after it's warmed up I'd try warming up the foot in hot water/sauna and then stretching (a-la bikram yoga ) they do say fascia is like honey, hard when it's cold and melting when hot, so might be worth a try.

alternatively I'd try just the opposite trying to activate that area more. not to get too esoteric here but tai chi people talk about the direction of "energy flow" in the body and in the foot area it'd go down the top of the foot to big toe, from big toe to pinky, from pinky on the bottom of the foot to heel and up the inner thigh. I wouldn't claim I know exactly what happens in the body when you put your attention to such "energy flows" but focusing on that helped me deal with pretty bad foot cramps after I broke my metatarsal bone a few years ago.
2014-10-16 6:50 PM

naperville, Illinois
I had a similar issue a couple years back. I ended up going to the acupuncturist - it was like their was a pocket of air or something in my foot and one poke with a big needle, never a problem again .... mind you, I don't generally find an acupuncturist that helpful for most things, but this type of thing, worth a try ..... for me, it was the miracle the ARTs and docs couldn't give me
2014-10-17 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
sounds like what I was dealing with ! I assume the pain is on the inside of the heel.

I fought this problem for a long time, and the only thing that seemed to get rid of it was wearing the boot for a few months. I also attribute the healing from wearing Hoka's with Superfeet inserts. The cushion helped lessen the trauma and the Superfeet helped stabilize the heal during running.

My layman's theory is that I had small tears in the connective tissue to the heel bone, and would not properly heal because it would re-tear from either sleeping without support, or running without support.

I was worried that my IM long run training would rip it apart, but surprisingly it got better through the training. I stuck to the Hoka's and boot.
And the final test was the actual race, which was last Sat. I am happy to say it held, and I am walking around no heal pain, no stiffness.
2014-10-17 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Originally posted by metafizx

sounds like what I was dealing with ! I assume the pain is on the inside of the heel.

I fought this problem for a long time, and the only thing that seemed to get rid of it was wearing the boot for a few months. I also attribute the healing from wearing Hoka's with Superfeet inserts. The cushion helped lessen the trauma and the Superfeet helped stabilize the heal during running.

My layman's theory is that I had small tears in the connective tissue to the heel bone, and would not properly heal because it would re-tear from either sleeping without support, or running without support.

I was worried that my IM long run training would rip it apart, but surprisingly it got better through the training. I stuck to the Hoka's and boot.
And the final test was the actual race, which was last Sat. I am happy to say it held, and I am walking around no heal pain, no stiffness.

This sounds about right. Its literally in one spot. And over night pulling my foot up, its tight. I've been in Hokas since spring, I 'think' the zero drop shoes I was wearing contributed to whatever this is.

Question, I'm assuming the boot was at night? How were the Superfeet in the Hokas? I have a light insert in them, Superfeet in my work shoes. I'll try them in the Hokas.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by LittleCat 2014-10-17 8:15 PM
2014-10-18 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by LittleCat

Originally posted by metafizx

This sounds about right. Its literally in one spot. And over night pulling my foot up, its tight. I've been in Hokas since spring, I 'think' the zero drop shoes I was wearing contributed to whatever this is.

Question, I'm assuming the boot was at night? How were the Superfeet in the Hokas? I have a light insert in them, Superfeet in my work shoes. I'll try them in the Hokas.

Thanks for the info!

Yes boot at night.

Superfeet worked great in the Hoka's...I have the "Orange" which is a one step down from the "Green".

Hoka's by themselves were ok, but lacked support and on the long runs, the heel would get aggravated. Once I started with the Superfeet, I didn't have any more problems.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot issue Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hot foot issues - cleat adjustments, shoe size, pedals?

Started by TriMike
Views: 1224 Posts: 7

2013-10-07 6:32 PM rjames91

foot issue - ideas?

Started by sheesleeva
Views: 1327 Posts: 9

2013-09-03 9:15 AM MLPFS

Swim Issue with Feet/Kick Pages: 1 2

Started by datlas
Views: 3266 Posts: 35

2012-04-14 5:57 PM strikyr

Running shoes make good walking shoes? I have foot issues.

Started by benracin
Views: 630 Posts: 1

2009-04-15 8:22 AM benracin

Wetsuit issues v. temp issues

Started by blondnik
Views: 1433 Posts: 11

2007-05-14 11:43 PM Joe M
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I will describe the more common running foot injuries and discuss contributing risk factors as well as treatments and corrections for prevention.

date : September 21, 2012
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!
date : September 16, 2010
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?

date : August 24, 2009
comments : 0
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.
date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.
date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.